Remove Engine With or Without Tranny?

Cam57

I am pulling the original 350 engine this weekend for a complete rebuild and 383 stroker conversion. Is it easier to remove the engine and TH350 auto tranny together or separately?

Thanks, Craig

are you planning on useing the same tranny wit your new engine? I know that its a 2 man job to do it that way but if your gonna pull the tranny anyway the jus pull em together..its easier that way cuz u dont have to seperate the tranny from engine

If you are looking to work on the tranny then remove it with the engine but if not, I would just remove the engine. Removing both makes for a much heavier load on the crane. Also you will have to separate the tranny from the engine when you get it out in order to put the engine on a stand to disassemble it, then the reverse to reinstall. In my opinion it would be easier to have the car hold the tranny for you.

I aggree it depends on what your going to do, if your going to beef up the motor you may want to do tranny at the same time or you may be pulling tranny out a month later. It depends on tools you have to work with too ie lift air tools. If your doing it on your back with hand tools its a lot more work. And it depends on your budget too. Good luck and remember have fun with it smile and remember if it was easy everyone would do it. Steve

When i pulled the motor out of my 72 two years ago my son in-law had one of those plates that had the tilt thingy/threaded rod but forgot to bring it. Sure made it easy to get it back in. He remembered it on the reinstall.

As others have said....depending on what you are doing with the trans. It is easy to pull them together. I have done mine by myself, not a big deal. Just need to watch what you are doing.

If you are pulling them together, remove the torque converter bolts before you pull it out. Makes life easier.

Thanks for all the replys and tips. I am thinking I will swap tranny for 4 spd OD. I won't ask if I should go with 700 or 200, I'll just read the threads.

I don't have a tranny jack, so I guess I will pull both together. With the radiator out, there is plenty of room!

I don't have a spare spline, so, good tip to drain it first.

Harbor Freight sells a plug for about $10 to keep the transmission fluid from leaking out the back. I agree with pulling both together. Gives you a good look at your transmission mount at the very least. Since you are planning to swap the transmission anyway it only makes sense to get it done at the same time. Have fun and good luck!

Originally Posted By: Mom's Car
THIS is the correct way....

That is awesome!!

that is funnt!!!!!! It is my guess they first unbolted everything they could prior to this stunt. If not the driver is lucky it didn't stop the car dead in its track and send him flying.

rob