Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Oil Seals

MCfan

This topic has been covered in several prior forum threads and they were a great help and encouragement to me as I took on this project last Thursday. A special thanks to Bob Forster (bobsmc) for sharing his innovative way of driving out old bearings and to Winston Wolf for his great pictorial series on rebuilding a 12-bolt!

I just wanted to acknowledge the contributions of other more experienced members and encourage any other novices like myself to consider taking on this project if they have the need and interest.

As usual, I have prepared a photo journal intended to help novices, not experienced mechanics. There are undoubtedly several ways to do this repair project and some are probably better than others, but at least this is one way that worked for me. Here's the link to my project photo journal on Photobucket:

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings and Seals

As usual, after clicking on the link, you must click on the first photo to see the caption below it and then you can advance through the photos with captions by clicking on the right pointing arrow.

The photo below is just one of 58 from the journal. Hope it will be of use to someone someday.

IMG_1164_zpsb06d49cb.jpg

• Like 1

very nice write up Dennis smile

every time I have tried to replace an axle bearing, I destroying it before getting it out, and end up cutting the outer shell with a die grinder to remove it

That is a very nice write up and helpful for others wanting to tackle the job, very well documented. Maybe it should be added to the technical info and you should think about doing a writeup for the newsletter.

Rob

Great album, I did my 10 bolt as part of a rear end overhaul a while back so it was out of the car which made some of those steps a little easier.

Good job and fast! You seem to be immune to the power of the snowball, good on you cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Great writeup/photos. I have a front wheel bearing photo journal in the gallery. Looks like we had the same idea to drive in the new bearing using some pvc pipe. smile

Very nice! Thank you.

I had to do this several years ago and found the right axle was badly worn so I got an off set bearing. Never had any leakage, I was trying to fix a vibration with slight noise.

I also replaced the rear U joint and rt ft (made in China) rotor bearing race. Lt ft was USA. I felt funny what I saw the CHINA on the box the one rotor was in and USA on the other but didn't act on it then.

Bruce

Fantastic write-up. I will use this write-up if I ever tackle this job. Members like Dennis really set this club above and beyond expectations. Thanks for a terrific procedure.

Tom

Dennis Thanks for taking the time to write this up, for us visual guys it makes the job a lot easier. I'm sure I will be taking this on in the near future..