What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Nothing with the Monte but have the camper all hooked up and loaded up for a trip for the week in the adirondacks, so I will be off the grid for the week. No cell service up there at all. We leave first thing in the morning. :yay:  See ya all in a few days.

The red 71 SS is sold but doing some work on it for the new owner (a club member). This is stuff I planned on doing anyway but did not get around to it. Thought it would be good to install some parts I had collected before he picked it up. Installed a new package tray to replace the eyesore it had before. There was a mesh style package tray but was looking pretty sad over time. This is a time consuming job when there is a rear defogger and stereo speakers. I managed to get the new package tray in and the rear defogger installed. I'm on the hunt for rear speaker grills to paint and install. Crawling in and out of the trunk is not fun, LOL. Also cleaning the interior parts really well before re-installing. I've got a few more things to do before handing the car over in August. Glad I have some time.

As for selling the car. Its a long story that happened over a very short period of time. I'll explain soon. :)

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1801.JPG

IMG_1802.JPG

• Like 1

Getting there. Just need to get the factory speaker grills and the package tray is done. That's quite the job and takes time.

Also pulled the rad to take it to a shop. Runs warmer than I'd like. Really tempting to paint the engine when the fan shroud is out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Getting there. Just need to get the factory speaker grills and the package tray is done. That's quite the job and takes time.

Also pulled the rad to take it to a shop. Runs warmer than I'd like. Really tempting to paint the engine when the fan shroud is out.

There goes that snow ball effect Aaron.........  :k

Your not going to leave him anything to do................

Doug

No camera with me again... BUT... I saw my daughters neighbor's 72 Monte for sale and about 2 miles away, a blue 71 Monte for sale.

It's a 25 mile drive one way to visit our daughter so this was a nice surprise to see 2 other first gens.

My Monte ran great and it was a super day for a ride here in Michigan!

Bruce

(Edit) OK it's the 4th now went for another ride and I swear I drove by another first gen FOR SALE. That's 3 in 2 days.

When we got home I put the camera in the glove box and drove some more but no more Monte's today........

Great 4th of July weekend!

There goes that snow ball effect Aaron......... :k

Your not going to leave him anything to do................

Doug

That's what my Dad and neighbor said. LOL

ARGUED WITH MY BODY GUY AS TO THE PROBLEMS WITH HIS PAINT JOB / BODY WORK. I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER, TO SAY THE LEAST! MORE TO COME AS WE HASH THINGS OUT!

ARGUED WITH MY BODY GUY AS TO THE PROBLEMS WITH HIS PAINT JOB / BODY WORK. I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER, TO SAY THE LEAST! MORE TO COME AS WE HASH THINGS OUT!

Ohoh.....the pictures we saw it looked good.

My car is loaded with everything I will need except my CPAP machine and ME. I get off work at 2:30 tomorrow, will pick up my car at the storage garage, stop by the house and kiss Patsy good bye and hit the road. Since I am heading to work at 4:30 I may need to pull over and take a nap along the way. I will see ya there starting tomorrow evening in time for bench racing.

rob

• Like 2

Tore into the oil leak that we discovered Friday at Norwalk. I get to drop the oil pan and replace the pan gasket now along with the Timing cover crank shaft seal.. Ugh.

Tony,

Check for a groove worn into the harmonic damper from the seal, mine had one. (Two actually one from the OEM then one from the first replacement seal)

On my 71 350, the harmonic damper had a groove worn into it. I got a thin metal sleeve that slid over the end and a new seal. This stopped that leak.

Bruce

• Like 1

Had a great time at Syracuse nationals I even almont won the grand prize of garage gear including a lift, compressor, tools, tool box and other garage equiptment. I was one of the last 4 when I got bumped out but got a nice jacket and hat. Overall a great weekend I highly recamend anyone thinking about going to go. 8000 show cars and nearly 100,000 people over the weekend. Ran into Tom and Tanya Carter and Jess and Chris Curtin too, a good time was had by all.

I'm gonna need some fuses under my hood to power a bunch of stuff. Fuel injection, fans, ignition, water pump, fuel pump...

I don't want to use skinny ATC type fuses, I want more contact surface. Maxi fuses are my choice.

I made up a plate to mount on the firewall, one side at the edge of the AC box. It also holds the ignition coil. It will be black powder coated and off the firewall about a half inch on stand-offs.

IMG_20160718_204155446_zpspn8egpcl.jpg

• Like 1

Bruce. The balancer looked good. No Groove. Just a little discolored. Wiped right off. Got the oil pan off this afternoon. Timing cover with new seal installed. Tomorrow afternoon. I'll put the new oil pan gasket and pan back in.

On further inspection. The old Timing cover seal for the balancer was cracked

0719161541_zpsdolwxsqo.jpg

A gorgeous day and due to temp increases over the next week figured I should take advantage of a cooler day and 

clean inside engine bay, adjust new hood lamp so both light and shut off near same time as hood raises / closes.

Routed some of the wiring so it's neater, checked fluids, vacuumed floor for 1st time with my new cordless rechargeable portable

vacuum cleaner. :)  Had AC fixed (or so I thought) earlier this year.  Tried operating it and never did get cold. :B  Back to the AC guy once I contact him.

One of these days everything is going to work together.  :k

As it heats up over the coming week, I will work on interior where it is cool inside garage.

I'm going to a lot of trouble cleaning her up just to drive roughly 700 miles to Grass Valley (taking Hwy 101 / Coast Hwy) from Portland

down into Calif. and across to Grass Valley.  Wonder how many bugs will attach themselves to the ole girl on the way down.

Other than the AC, Interior & Exterior cleaning/polishing moving forward. 

PS - I am on 99967 miles on odometer.  If I can manage it, I would like to turn her over to all zero's just in time for the WM.

Doug 

• Like 1