New Guy Here

jft69z

On 4/2/2023 at 7:51 AM, sbarnette said:

Looks great! You’re right, GM should have done it that way. Now you have one of a kind! 😎

Thank you Sammy!

The car is definitely one of a kind. 

• 1 month later...

There appears to be something wrong with the tires on the Monte & Camaro. Looks like they're falling apart, hmmm.

20230505_130638.jpg

20230505_131549.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Leaving marks on the driveway too. Like they're melting or something. 

20230505_131248.jpg

20230505_131428.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Last week the driveway seal coating place called to see if I want to get on this year's schedule. I told her I'll take care of it this year :rofl:.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, willie said:

Lol Joe if that black stuff is only on the back of the tire, means your not hitting the pedal hard enough!!! LOL

The Monte seems to be a lot worse, lol. All inside the wheelwell, exhaust, underneath, etc. Gonna have to clean it carefully to not scratch the back trim piece.

• Like 3

Installed the Bilstein shocks on the rear of the Monte, but got rid of that blinding yellow & blue first. Trimmed that dust boot a little too, just to match the length of the KYB's. The blue boot actually looks like it had a couple of lines on it, as a guide of where to trim if wanted. :yay: 

Need to wait until Tuesday to install the fronts, Amazon only had one to deliver today. The other must have been at a different warehouse.

20230505_150406.jpg

Eastwood Zinc Phosphate paint with satin clear on the shocks & black vinyl dye on the rubber boot (with Bulldog Adhesion Promoter first). Trimmed & re-applied the decals higher up the tube.

20230506_114453.jpg

20230506_122424.jpg

• Like 7

Still waiting for the front shocks to come, but used the time to swap out the steering wheel. So far I like it, looks better than the black NK4 wheel.

Maybe someday (probably never), I'll paint the steering column dark saddle to match the interior & get the steering wheel leather wrapped to match.

20230509_143058.jpg

20230509_142340.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Looks like a winner, I may also paint my column to match...some day 

Thanks Paul!

I know the column is supposed to be black, but it just doesn't look right with everything else around it dark saddle.. The only reason I did it that way when I built the car was because the NK4 wheel was black. That really would have looked out of place, dark saddle column, black wheel.

Matches the black shifter handle I guess. Yeah, that'll work, lol.

2 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks good Joe. My steering column does match its black but does need paint from 50+ years of key scratches.

Thanks Steve!

I used Axalta (DuPont) Trim Black on the column.

• Like 1

Joe. I think it accentuates well. Black faced gauges, knobs, vents and shifter. And more. You have enough on your plate ( chips) the way it is. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dtret said:

Joe. I think it accentuates well. Black faced gauges, knobs, vents and shifter. And more. You have enough on your plate ( chips) the way it is. 

Thanks D, that just saved me a lot of work!

• Haha 1

Just now, jft69z said:

Thanks D, that just saved me a lot of work!

I know. I’m always looking out. I’m trying to make sure that you save all available energy in case you have to paint my car. Lol. Jk. 

• Haha 2

Yes, my non tilt column was painted green and it has a more finished look. I painted the hub on my stainless wheel before I had the tilt column  All personal taste i guess.

• Like 1