New Guy Here

jft69z

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Looks and sounds great Joe.  If that doesn't get the restoration juices flowing I don't know what would.

rob

Thanks all!

I worked out there today a couple of hours, that's enough for now  😄

The A/C in the shop started acting up this afternoon, spitting water out. Tomorrow I'll take it apart and see if the condensate drain is plugged. It's always something. 

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

Thanks all!

I worked out there today a couple of hours, that's enough for now  😄

The A/C in the shop started acting up this afternoon, spitting water out. Tomorrow I'll take it apart and see if the condensate drain is plugged. It's always something. 

Something like this?  Two day after my annual service. I fixed it myself but wore that technician out the next time he was there. I got free stuff. lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willie said:

Sounds Great Joe!!! Cant wait to see it done!!!   Glad you are up and around now!!!   LOL

Thanks Willie! Right now I'm down for the count, real bad back pain...

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Something like this?  Two day after my annual service. I fixed it myself but wore that technician out the next time he was there. I got free stuff. lol. 

Yeah, something like that, except the drain outside looks clear (1/2" PVC pipe). Hopefully it's just in the drip tray part of the inside unit (It's a mini-split system).

57 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Sounds and looks great not surprised tho. Sorry to hear your down for the count with the back 

Thanks Mark!

21 minutes ago, willie said:

Joe down for the count????  Ok you earned some hot tub time!!!   Feel better my friend!!!

Hot tub may not fix this... Possible kidney stones?, won't know 'til they do a CT in about 2 weeks (insurance approval needed first 😠)

• Like 1

Joe, It's always something. Flat tire on son's truck( I'm driving), motorcycle needed a jump at work ( 1 st time on road this year), can't find registration for trailer ( going to Texas in the morning). They say it comes in 3's, I'm hoping everything goes good on trip. Crossed t's and dotted I's ,ready to go. Camaro looks and sounds great, I'm hoping my BBC sounds as good as that one. Going to put my foot down and get back to work on my Monte after this trip. My wrist and arm are getting back to good  now. Kidney stones.... Oh No..... Sounds like not enough beer in your diet. Hope everything is ok with you, real happens after retirement they say. Is it like The Green Mile and Tom Hanks? That looked brutal!!   

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 1:08 PM, 420ponies said:

Joe, It's always something. Flat tire on son's truck( I'm driving), motorcycle needed a jump at work ( 1 st time on road this year), can't find registration for trailer ( going to Texas in the morning). They say it comes in 3's, I'm hoping everything goes good on trip. Crossed t's and dotted I's ,ready to go. Camaro looks and sounds great, I'm hoping my BBC sounds as good as that one. Going to put my foot down and get back to work on my Monte after this trip. My wrist and arm are getting back to good  now. Kidney stones.... Oh No..... Sounds like not enough beer in your diet. Hope everything is ok with you, real happens after retirement they say. Is it like The Green Mile and Tom Hanks? That looked brutal!!   

Thanks Jim!

Hope it all works out for you & glad your wrist/arm are working good again.

James glad your starting to get back to normal with your hand and wrist.

Joe, I had a stone in each kidney (no fun).  Biggest problem when you get them and they are trying to come out is no matter what you do you cant make the pain go away. You can sit, lay down, flip yourself upside down, doesnt matter the pain is there and not going away. When and only when its ready it will come out. Not a fun time. I am not going to get technical but mine did not come out so they had to go get it. NO FUN!!!   I traced it back in my case to sugared soda and sugared ice tea. Hence Joe, Dennis, Doug and Mark know i only drink water and unsweetened ice tea. Joe, Flowmax is your best friend and alot of water to pass it. After that nothing with sugar to drink and stay away from tumms and stuff like that.   Feel better buddy!

And this is why I don't reply to emails before at least one cup of coffee....Not until Tom's post did I realize nobody was talking about FlowMaster mufflers, I was like I'm not getting the Joke.....

Glad your tests were clean Joe, I know that doesn't help with the pain tho. I'll assume a clean test means your not pregnant . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

And this is why I don't reply to emails before at least one cup of coffee....Not until Tom's post did I realize nobody was talking about FlowMaster mufflers, I was like I'm not getting the Joke.....

Glad your tests were clean Joe, I know that doesn't help with the pain tho. I'll assume a clean test means your not pregnant . 

Maybe you & Dennis can take your act on the road together 😁!

Yeah, I was hoping the test would show something related, but now, who knows what's the deal. Good news is last night was the first night with no issues, so I must be fine now, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Been playing around the last few days, between the couch & back pain, managed to get the front sheet metal shimmed & bolted back in place.

Glen & Dennis asked for some exhaust comparisons, but trying to text them ruins the sound & video too much, I think. I tried some Magnaflow straight thru Stainless, Flowmaster Super 44's, and Dynomax Turbos on the car, both with & without tailpipes. 

Before I started this project, the car had 2" Hooker headers, mated to 2 1/2" pipes & Thrush Turbo mufflers, also 2 1/2", ending at the mufflers (no tail pipes) Car sounded pretty good with that exhaust.

After this upgrade, I'm using 3" pipes now, so that required new mufflers. Thrush doesn't make the same ones I had in 3", so I'm trying these. Of the 3, not really liking the Magnaflows so far. The Flowmasters are a bit loud, but sound OK. The Dynomax Turbos are a bit quieter, but probably the closest to what I used to have. Only problem, is even though they have a 3" inlet/outlet, inside the muffler it actually necks down to 1.997". How dumb is that?

For grins, I ordered the Thrush 2 1/2" Turbos to see how they sound, should be here in a day or so.

In the mean time, Here's what I got, First vid had the Magnaflows, second one has both the Flowmasters & Dynomax Turbos. Picture is the restriction in the Dynomax.

Forum choked on the vids, so here's the links to the actual ones loaded in the cloud drive.

Magnaflow:   https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akx6H-ABrxUb81Gq8lll88_oEfcc?e=TVIew1

Flowmaster/Dynomax Turbo:   https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akx6H-ABrxUb81IsjiAH4I41WaN7?e=2qUlGq

20220909_123209.jpg

• Like 1

Dynomax ultraflo! 3" in, through, out- 3". Have them on "Big Red", 2 1/2" on "Barn Find", son has the same on his 69 400 4spd gto convertible and I even have a 3"in 2- 2 1/2" out on my 2010 Sierra. Lol all ultraflo

53 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Dynomax ultraflo! 3" in, through, out- 3". Have them on "Big Red", 2 1/2" on "Barn Find", son has the same on his 69 400 4spd gto convertible and I even have a 3"in 2- 2 1/2" out on my 2010 Sierra. Lol all ultraflo

I looked at those in my many searches this week. They appear to be the same type of muffler as the Magnaflow mufflers, straight thru type. I did not order them (yet), but didn't like the Magnaflows, to the point they're going back first. The Turbo mufflers have come out on top so far, amongst 4 of my buddies that stopped by, unfortunately, they have that stupid restriction. I have a couple more sets coming soon, so we'll see how that works out. For all this BS, I could have just kept the old 2 1/2" system and been done with it, lol. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dtret said:

First sounds best at idle but too loud at speed. Second best all around sound but to tinny at idle. Third idle kinda flat but good sound at speed. 

The first are the Magnaflows, already boxed up to return.

The second are the Flowmasters, consensus is they would be OK

The third, Dynamax appears to be a fan favorite, but are hobbled, lol.

I'm going to try another Turbo muffler, and ordered a Holley 3" set of AeroChambers.  I'll see what they look & sound like when they get here.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, jft69z said:

Been playing around the last few days, between the couch & back pain, managed to get the front sheet metal shimmed & bolted back in place.

Ya seem to be bouncing around quite well for an old guy 🤣 Tough decisions for sure on the mufflers. 

23 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ya seem to be bouncing around quite well for an old guy 🤣 Tough decisions for sure on the mufflers. 

i have periods where I feel perfectly fine, then other times nearly doubled over in pain. Just got out of bed, but laying there in pain for the last hour.

Yeah, I can't wait for the muffler saga to be done. Once I get that done, I should be able to take a drive around the block.

• Like 1

Well, the Thrush Turbo mufflers came today, epic fail there. They're necked down inside worse than the other Turbos, not even going to take the other one out of the box.

So, just for grins, I modified the hydraulic pipe expander to go deeper into the muffler to try & expand that restriction. Had a couple of Grade 8,  3/4-16 bolts in stock, cut the heads off & TIG welded them together to get the reach inside the muffler. Worked like a charm, so if the other couple of sets coming this week don't work out, at least these will do.

20220910_215436.jpg

20220910_215346.jpg

20220910_215126.jpg

• Like 3