2 ?'s: Mystery Moulding & SS Emblems

1) I think my SS454 emblems have been painted. My SS's on the rocker mouldings & trunk are RED - my 71 brochure shows them in white. Were they ever red????

2) Bear with me as I try & describe this piece of moulding.

Greg came across a piece of chrome moulding that goes from the edge of the window down along that 1st ridge (about 1/2" wide) - goes all the way across the door to the back door window.

Any idea which monte's - which years ever had this???

Supposedly it was a 1st gen but we have never seen a car with it

Capri,It sounds like the optional special window felt moulding. I pulled a set from a 72 Monte not long ago.We dicussed this about 2 months ago and some said it was on a 71 also.

Terry

Capri, I think your talking of the special belt molding also. Its maybe 3/4" to 1" wide, across the top of door where the window felts go. You need a different window felt without the chrome bead on it for the molding to work. It was an option on my 71. As for the SS emblems, I dont know really, but I have seen them listed in red in a catalog I have.

You can kind of see the rear quarter molding in this pic

2621328_109_full.jpg

Yep that is the moulding! Does it show up on a build sheet anywhere? Since my car was repainted once - how do I know if it was ever there or not???

Looks like I missed the post from a few months ago Terry ..now I gotta go look for it smile

Anyone else on the SS Emblems?

EDIT: Would that moulding be called: Belt Reveal Moulding - I show it as an option RPO Code B85 in my one photocopied booklet of specifications.

Was this a rare option or a hard to find piece(s)for restorers?

as far as the ss emblems go capri white are the orginals, reds are an aftermarket item which a lot of people put on. so im sure either would work capri.

eek I have aftermarket emblems on my car eek

Now, Rob, you should know by now that I cannot live with that!! :lol:

Looks like we will be changing that, too!

BTW, How do you know this & where did you find this info?

EDIT: OK, now I am getting confused - in web surfing, I see Harmons & Dixie Monte Carlo both sell the SS454 emblems in either red or white....could my car have come with red ones???? confused

I dont know how rare that belt molding option is, my car has roll up windows,no air, but does have cloth interior and that molding, so at least I have something!

I thought I read in one of my books that the SS coloring depended on the year, but I could be wrong. Maybe check into that. I have seen both for sale though

That molding is kinda rare. I like the looks of it.

Your Black car...More Chrome the better, and Red goes with Black, Red SS 454 emblems look better than the white, my opinion.

Jared - I agree, it is a sharp looking option but unfortunately my build sheet doesn't show it so if Greg gets it we'll end up selling it not using it.

Now, I just need some 71SS guys (Bob, Larry, Steve, Darryl, Leo...)...to chime in on the SS Emblems. (the red does look good on the car but I want what is correct)..perhaps I should post this in the SS section???? I'll give it a day or two.

And Rob - whadda ya mean you know nothing?? wink

Hi Capri, my 71 SS has white and I think that was factory. The red ones you see aftermarket on the web, are the ones you have on your car. Unless someone repainted your originals. JMHO.

Jared - I agree, it is a sharp looking option but unfortunately my build sheet doesn't show it so if Greg gets it we'll end up selling it not using it.

Now, I just need some 71SS guys (Bob, Larry, Steve, Darryl, Leo...)...to chime in on the SS Emblems. (the red does look good on the car but I want what is correct)..perhaps I should post this in the SS section???? I'll give it a day or two.

And Rob - whadda ya mean you know nothing?? wink

Let me know on that trim if you're going to sale it. I may be intersted in it. Maybe you could bring it to the meet? smile I want a set to go on the white car...if I would ever get around to putting it on there. lol

Hi Capri,I have a set of the lower trim mouldings with the correct color(white)454 emblems. I bought these on ebay thinking I might put these on mine to fake some people out.Nah, Mine is a '72 and didn't have these on it.If you do need them let me know or else they are going on the garage wall.I'll dig them out to see how good they are.

Capri,

The RPO B85 'Belt Moldings' or 'Belt Reveal Moldings' were optional on any '70-'72 Monte Carlo, and they were also included as part of the '72-only 'Custom' package. The word 'Belt' is short for the term 'beltline' - which refers to a car body's midsection (top of doors/bottom of side windows).

Correct "SS" letter emblems for both '70 and '71 are white-filled. As mentioned, repros have been made for years that are red-filled, but as far as I know they were never that way from the factory. I believe that early Impala SS and Nova SS models originally had some red-filled "SS" letters, however. Considering that the "SS" letters on '70/'71 Monte Carlos are always positioned against black backgrounds it makes sense that they're white-filled for better contrast and therefore visibility and readability. The Chevrolet design staff knew what they were doing. smile

A gal I used to work with got a kick out of showing me how she could touch up the rocket emblems on the side of her '69 Cutlass convertible with her red nail polish. Watch out for Revlon Red-filled emblems! lol

Hope this helps,

Dave

Guest 71SSMC

Capri,

Look on your build sheet for the option ( B85 BELT REVL MLDG )

Also the correct SS emblems are white. As Dave said above.

Darrell

Capri, The topic on the special belt moulding is on the 3rd page of the Restoration,the date to look for is 03/27/08 if still interested.

Terry

Thanks Terry - the date helped me find that original thread smile

And thanks to the fellow SS guys confirming my SS's should be white smile We are gonna try & correct that b4 Greensburg...just one more thing for Greg to put on his "monte-to-do" list wink

it seems like almost all of the '72 "customs" came with that belt moulding.. but I've only seen a few real 72 customs :P~

poor Greg, time for you to get your hands dirty cap smirk

and...white for the SS emblems here too

I used to like you Sam... :lol: and Greg seems to like you more & more! :lol:

Really, if I was more of a detail oriented perfectionist like Greg usually is, I probably would help out with my car more, but I just cannot work up to his standards so its best he works alone wink I waxed my car last year b4 the meet & it turned out like crap so this year he's doing that, too!

Capri,

If you go to most hardware stores you can find White Duct Tape... Just tear off a couple strips and place them over your emblems and rub the duct tape in real well to form into the numbers.... Then take an exacto blade and just cut off anything not recessed... Duct tape is a wonderfull tool, just ask Kevin

Rob

We have the wide belt molding also. I ordered new window felts and they came with the skinny little trim attached. When I went to take them back to OPG..he said he never heard of the wide stuff. We ended up going to a automotive upholstery place and just the felt and attaching it....worked great.