Newbie need a little help

Jersey Joe

Hello everyone. Joe from New Jersey here. Anyone in the area of Macon Georgia that can help out and check out a 1972? Willing to fly down and make the deal but would like a second option on the car. Had a 70 when I was 18 but that was 40 years ago so would like an expert option. Thanks. 

Hey Joe Welcome to the club!!!  I am from Long Island so a bit too far for me. I am sure someone will chime in and let you know if there is any one in GA. thats close enough to it. Great club he with tons of knowledge and people that are willing to help!!!  Good Luck with the purchase!!

Joe,

I checked the club roster and we do not have any members very close to that area.  Most members are 2 hours or more from there.

rob

Welcome to the site! I’m not near GA but hopefully someone can help you out. I did the same thing in 2008. I had a club member take a look at a 72 Monte and test drive it before I pulled the trigger on ebay. I flew down to Reno and drove the Monte 1,000 miles home.

29 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Welcome to the site! I’m not near GA but hopefully someone can help you out. 

Boy is that an understatement!!!

🤣🤣🤣

rob

• Haha 1

Hey Joe, like Tom said post some pictures if you have them the more the better. Plenty of keen eyes in the group here to help look for things out of place. Good Luck 

So here are a few pics. Story is his father bought to car new in 72. Gave it to the son( current owner) in 88. Looks rough inside but it is a big block 402 column shift auto. He has original warranty paperwork and data plate. Ask about the build sheet but he has never seen it. Might still be under the rear seat. 

DED5D474-46FB-4D30-A6DF-7FC7446CB9BB.png

A650D048-A925-46C5-AA1A-F67B261E46CC.png

0936A2F0-2820-4BBF-BF69-6D5017516F1F.png

293DAEED-B392-4655-AB33-135196152C88.png

He is asking $12,000. He is going to send me more under carriage pictures tomorrow. Told me the car hasn’t started for about 10 years. Also said the area behind the rear window has developed a lot of rust. Trunk hinges have started to pull out due to rust. 

I agree with Steve. From the pics you posted, not a bad start. There should be a U in the vin for the 402. 1972 was the first year for the Monte to have the engine in the vin. Should also have a 12 bolt rear end dual exhaust. 

Joe, check out my thread, "Awake after 34 year slumber". It's my 71 402 "Barn Find". Similar to your find. 

• Like 1

Joe,

With the description you have given from talking to the owner and the pictures you have so far here are my thoughts.

The positives are it is a big block 402 and it is from an original owners family member and from the pictures it looks like it is somewhat original stock.

Some things that concern me are:

-The car has not run in about 10 years.

- It needs a full interior replacement.

-The rust issues you have described in the trunk area would indicate that the area around the back window has leaked enough to compromise the trunk hinge supports so that whole area, including the trunk could need a lot of work and maybe even leaked into the interior floorboards.

-Looking at the side shot of the car, the suspension seems to be riding a bit low, especially in the front so this may indicate suspension work may be needed, either that or someone may have lowered it a little.

-If you can't find someone who could inspect it for you I don't know if I would buy a one way ticket since you said you would want to try to drive it back to New Jersey.  I do wish we had a member in the area that could look at it for you.

-All this said, I feel when I look at that one for $12,000 and compare it to the small block one listed on the site in the Syracuse Craigslist for $15,000 with a fresh paint may be a better deal, that plus we do have members that may be able to check it out for you.

rob

• Like 2

Like Rob has stated, alot to think about especially if you don't do the work yourself. That's why I suggested you check out my dealings so far with my "Barn Find" 71 402 Monte Carlo under "Awake after 34 year slumber" to give you, or anyone else an idea at what may need to be done. By no means is it to deter you from purchasing the 72. Just give you an idea. 

• Like 1

Welcome. I agree with what has been posted. It all depends on what you want. If you’re just looking for a first generation Monte, ready to go, something like Rob pointed out may be the way to go ( probably cheaper in the long run).  If you’re like me and want that “special “ Monte you’re going to pay more and probably have a lot more work to do (unless you get one that is done). Your wants and skill set will make that determination. Keep asking questions, that’s what we are here for, to try and help. Good luck and keep us posted. 

• Like 1

Joe,

Please don't think I am dissing that car if that is the route you want to go and if the big-block is important to you.  I think part of what I was thinking about when I posted what I did is when you and I spoke live you indicated you had thought about flying down and driving it back and you also indicated you wanted to find a car you could drive to the Eastern Meet coming up in 9 weeks.  That is why I pointed out what I did.  

I have always said that when buying anything a good deal is when the seller and buyer are both happy with the deal.

rob

• Like 2