Oh bla de oh bla da ,fix it day

Searsman

3 hours ago, willie said:

Yea Steve, Joe was trying to figure out how to lift Dennis???   Unfortunately Dennis is to slippery in that banana suit!!!

He lifts me up every time I talk to him. Lol.  Too much. O 🤮

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, DragCat said:

Yea my buddy is trying to talk me into a 4 post instead of a 2 Ive got more research to do lol

I prefer the two post, it’s working best for me. I really could park something underneath if I had to also.. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Searsman said:

I really could park something underneath if I had to also.. 

I do it as well, when needed. This is an older pic from when I was working on a lot of ZR1's and other Corvettes, as well as regular vehicles that would come in for repairs. Sometimes I'd run out of space to park my own cars.

20160811_200917.1.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

I do it as well, when needed. This is an older pic from when I was working on a lot of ZR1's and other Corvettes, as well as regular vehicles that would come in for repairs. Sometimes I'd run out of space to park my own cars.

20160811_200917.1.jpg

Not any more Joe, bet you haven't parked any of your cars under anything in months!!!   LOL

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, willie said:

Not any more Joe, bet you haven't parked any of your cars under anything in months!!!   LOL

Not lately 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still needing a new roof, on the house, 

a job for next summer probably but this repair had to be done now. Was washing the vinyl siding and noticed the wind had blow loose an end cap on the peak of the roof. Completely gone. Would leak water into soffit !. 💦. Rained this morning but quit and roof dried so I ‘ like the stubborn person I am” decides I’ll be the one who has to fix it if it’s gonna be done. 
it’s a very steep incline and with the grace of God I made it up to the top and back down.. at least it won’t leak until I can get a new roof. Beautiful view :)…IMG_1969.thumb.jpeg.2bf3a41f519f679063c2272fb228c4f2.jpegIMG_1957.thumb.jpeg.5fed1701a3d47d6cec9a9effddfb5f96.jpegIMG_1960.thumb.jpeg.221a6cfcdff7f186446a03f764120579.jpegIMG_1971.thumb.jpeg.03389116372b2e7730586b529062afcc.jpeg

• Like 3

If you’re crawling around up there use a couple of old foams out of couch cushions. They don’t slide on the asphalt and help save boney butts. I used them all the time when I had to get in the roof. Works great. Not much help on a metal roof though. 

• Like 1

You're a crazy man and maybe part monkey. 

Are you going to replace the whole roof yourself or hire someone?  I can do a lot of things but others I leave to the professionals.

Wasn't it you who told me "no more ladders for me"?

rob

• Thank You! 1
  • Haha 1

Beautiful view of your property Ron. Glad you got it patched and are weathertight. Some steep pitches up there. Not worth taking a chance of getting injured doing your roof. Let the roofing professionals take care of it for you. Be safe. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

You're a crazy man and maybe part monkey. 

Are you going to replace the whole roof yourself or hire someone?  I can do a lot of things but others I leave to the professionals.

Wasn't it you who told me "no more ladders for me"?

rob

I’m just mule headed- I did a lot of planning on taking the route up to the peak and back down - it did include foam... it rained here yesterday morning before I patched it.. there was a split in the tar paper underneath also .. it ended up raining all day here today and even more tonight.. the wind also lifted the drip railing above the trim on that side, but like you said , that part will wait till someone about 40 years younger than me to do that,and the whole roof... 

23 minutes ago, Montemedic said:

Beautiful view of your property Ron. Glad you got it patched and are weathertight. Some steep pitches up there. Not worth taking a chance of getting injured doing your roof. Let the roofing professionals take care of it for you. Be safe. 

Thanks, I’ve never been afraid of heights , I’m just afraid of coming down too quickly and stopping even quicker. 😁. It’s difficult to get a roofer w/o waiting weeks around here.. no family close... but the rest will and can wait .. besides that, I promised Rob,, no more ladders after I had back surgery... 

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

• 1 month later...

Always something, winter or summer, this time deck pulled away from house. Tap cons rusted after 16 years, deck still in good shape tho. Just reattached to block with anchors this time and replaced couple deck boards . What’s next!?IMG_1991.thumb.jpeg.795618c567a4237049fa44bac88767ef.jpegIMG_1990.thumb.jpeg.5402aa0f01da6fa3731d7cdad74f707e.jpegIMG_1989.thumb.jpeg.3f6812a4f28d24743ec9060654de042a.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/1/2023 at 4:36 PM, DragCat said:

Yea my buddy is trying to talk me into a 4 post instead of a 2 Ive got more research to do lol

Just wondering if you decided on a lift yet. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 4 post, but Joe is correct about a 2 post being more versatile. I’m currently looking at a rolling bridge jack for mine to enable me to raise the car off the lift for some suspension work. The hand pump type are going for around $1000, with the air operated hydraulics, of which I don’t need, in the $1500-$2000 range. Also some seem to be brand specific. I must admit that I do feel safer under a 4 post though. But hey, this is California the “all about feelings state”.

1 hour ago, Marks71 said:

Just wondering if you decided on a lift yet. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 4 post, but Joe is correct about a 2 post being more versatile. I’m currently looking at a rolling bridge jack for mine to enable me to raise the car off the lift for some suspension work. The hand pump type are going for around $1000, with the air operated hydraulics, of which I don’t need, in the $1500-$2000 range. Also some seem to be brand specific. I must admit that I do feel safer under a 4 post though. But hey, this is California the “all about feelings state”.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, next year. I'm still leaning towards the 2 post as for the more versatile application. I think in another thread or maybe in conversation Joe also mentioned the foot print of a 4 post vs a 2 post. 

I had to google "rolling bridge jack" 🤣 I didnt read all the fine print, but would you need 2 ? 

You would if you wanted to raise both ends, but for suspension or brake work, 1 end at a time is fine for me. My runways are pretty wide, and 1 is fixed and the other slides to adjust the track width. I guess if I wanted to have both ends raised then I could tighten up the track width to have the room for jack stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

I think in another thread or maybe in conversation Joe also mentioned the foot print of a 4 post vs a 2 post. 

Probably conversation, Mark.

At the time I was considering a new building out back, the initial plan was for a 30x40x12 structure. That would have gotten me parking for 6 cars maybe. I then considered using two of the 4 post lifts to get additional vehicles in there, but realistically, with the footprint those took up, I would have gained 1 parking space for about $10K (cost of 2 lifts).

The builder suggested making the building 36x48x12 instead, which added about $10K to the cost of the building. That eliminated the cost of the lifts, and put the available parking spots at 10 now, if you packed them in there correctly.

Pretty much a no-brainer at that point, and what we ended up doing.

• Like 4

Mark, Get one of each (if you have the space) and let us know what you think. The 4 post is great for storage and basic maintainance. If you’re taking wheels off or doing suspension work, definitely a 2 post. The 2 post is more work to use, but more versatile as Joe T has shown by hanging motorcycles and other items off of it for repairs or maintainance. 

• Like 2

Mines a 36x48 with 10’ eves and 16’ at the peak. It’s a metal building. I would have loved to do a stick building but the additional cost was too far beyond my budget. We were building our house at the same time. I did get a 780’ attatched garage out of that deal. If I get a 2 post now I’ll have to cut my floor to pour a couple pads to anchor to, plus the cost of the lift. Aside from perimeter footings my shop floor is about 6”. Not enough to safely hold anchors to support a 2 post. That’s why I was looking at a rolling bridge jack. With a little hassle it’ll still allow me to do some of the things I could with a 2 post. Being retired and my wife retiring soon  I don’t have the  budget I had 2 years ago. I do appreciate both of your input. It makes total sense.  Have you  noticed Joe that when car guys that live in your area find out you have a lift their eyes light up? No problem, they’re welcome to it.                     

3 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

Aside from perimeter footings my shop floor is about 6”. Not enough to safely hold anchors to support a 2 post.              

My floors are 6" with NO issues at all with anchoring. I used Hilti anchors. At the time I bought the lift, they said 4" floors would be ok, but the minimum requirement. 

I've had cars, trucks, etc on it for over 25 years, with no cracking, movement,  etc.

23 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

Wow I wasn’t aware of that. I’m familiar with the Hilti anchors. Even down to 4”? I was worried with leverage and a somewhat small footprint to anchor with. Did you use their 3/4 anchors.

I was concerned about such a small footprint too at the time, but it's never been an issue. My lift has the asymmetrical arms too, which means even more of the vehicle weight hangs towards the back, but again, no issues.

Pictured it the 3/4 type of Hilti I used, and what the base of my lift looks like.

A tip from a carpenter at the time...drill the hole all the way thru the concrete before installing the anchor. If for some reason the anchor doesn't bite properly, or you remove the lift, you can just pound the anchor down into the stones below. It's unlikely you'll ever get that anchor out from the topside.

20231214_121449.jpg

20231214_121538.jpg

• Like 2