Oh bla de oh bla da ,fix it day

Searsman

37 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

Interesting, it looks like the bottom of the wedge is maybe 3” below the surface. Definitely wouldn’t want to do that with a concrete pour of unknown origin or mix design.

I don't remember what size length anchor I used at the time, there's a whole box full of different length ones here.

That's another reason drill all the way thru the pad though, to measure how thick the concrete pour is.

• Like 2

Joe is correct on the minimum concrete thickness but there are changes. The company I work for has a lift installation and maintenance division and they have minimum requirements of 9000 # gets 4 “. A 10000 # gets 6 “. And a 12000 # gets 8”. And the size of the pads is double the size of the lift post.  And ironically my company doesn’t change the requirements for a four post. Seems like overkill on that. 

• Like 4

My 4 post came with 16- 3/4x 6” wedge type anchors. I spoke with Bendpak, about it because I had also ordered the optional caster kit. They said they came with anchors, but were optional. To get one wide enough and long enough to take my 84 GMC crew cab dually, meant I ended up with a 14000# lift. The truck probably weighs in at a little over 5000#. Mine isn’t anchored and it’s solid. If I was going to use it at capacity, I’d anchor it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

Joe is correct on the minimum concrete thickness but there are changes. The company I work for has a lift installation and maintenance division and they have minimum requirements of 9000 # gets 4 “. A 10000 # gets 6 “. And a 12000 # gets 8”. And the size of the pads is double the size of the lift post.  And ironically my company doesn’t change the requirements for a four post. Seems like overkill on that. 

When I talked to the rep for rotary, a 10K 2 post got a 4" and I forget the concrete spec. When the floor was pored they poured 5" and  added 2" to the depth just cya. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, my wife car, a 2016 Buick encore , bought new by her, having had the oil and filter changed religiously by the dealer on time and mileage .

wants me to change it for her since I have the car lift now. No problem, but I find an oil filter in the engine that I believe there is No Way ! It has been replaced last two or three oil changes by the dealer . Pure black!. Replacement is nice straw broom color. Picture down below of oil filter cartridge I took out. Am I wrong in my assumption ??? Input please. Thanks , Ron… IMG_2282.thumb.jpeg.2ea8727158e88d3cf21d02c7cf95ac75.jpeg

1 minute ago, Searsman said:

Pure black!. Replacement is nice straw broom color. Picture down below of oil filter cartridge I took out. Am I wrong in my assumption ??? Input please. Thanks , Ron… 

If the oil came out black, or dark colored, the filter will be also. I just dumped the oil out of my Camaro, which probably had about 500 miles on it. Cut the filter open and it's black, didn't concern me a bit.

• Like 5

You might want to bag it and then do a comparison with the filter on your next oil change. Your photo pretty much looks like the filter I pull out of my wife’s Toyota though.  

• Like 2

Normal. The old filter will not be the same color as the new filter. Dirt, contaminants etc discolor the oil which, discolors the filter that traps all the junk. 

• Like 6

Back when I bought my car in 13 I did the first oil change at 1000 miles and it looked just as bad as that. Now I do every 3000 with 5w30 Mobil synthetic instead of the recommended 7500. And it still looks like that. My oil life monitor is usually between 55 and 65 percent. 

• Like 4

Hum, thank you very much gentlemen, guess I’m not used to changing an oil cartridge. 

• Like 1

Ron, as I told you on the phone, that is pretty much what the filter from my Chevy Captiva looked like at 3000 miles.  If you were to cut open a filter from one of your Monte's it would look the same or worse.

rob

• Like 3

Just now, Rob Peters said:

Ron, as I told you on the phone, that is pretty much what the filter from my Chevy Captiva looked like at 3000 miles.  If you were to cut open a filter from one of your Monte's it would look the same or worse.

rob

Oops, I see Joe already mentioned that.

rob

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Oops, I see Joe already mentioned that.

rob

I've changed a boatload of those cartridge filters, and cut open many a canister style too. They all look the same, except for the ones with a lot of shiny metal bits in them...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

I've changed a boatload of those cartridge filters, and cut open many a canister style too. They all look the same, except for the ones with a lot of shiny metal bits in them...

I hate those metal bits.

rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:21 PM, Rob Peters said:

I hate those metal bits.

rob

I would toooo!. Haven’t seen any of those , luckily. Or in the Monte either. But I haven’t had the oil pan off the 71 either.. but I change the oil and filter regularly.. 

14 degrees and I’m debating on messing with this. 50 plus wind gusts most of the last 4 days. One tree down and look where it landed. I think that shed is cursed. 😝

IMG_6867.jpeg

IMG_6868.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That sucks 😔 , hopefully there will be very little damage, once everything is removed. 

However the 14 degrees is a game changer for me, Today would be devoted to analyzing the situation.  Tomorrow is always the best time to do manual labor 😄.  At least that's how I would present  it to the wife.  Lol

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Marks71 said:

Thank goodness it didn’t damage the Monte you parked behind it.

I’ll leave it and let gravity do its thing. Maybe it will squish that thing so I don’t have to. I do want the firewall off it though. 

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

14 degrees and I’m debating on messing with this. 50 plus wind gusts most of the last 4 days. One tree down and look where it landed. I think that shed is cursed. 😝

IMG_6867.jpeg

IMG_6868.jpeg

I think you should remove the tree from the shed sooner than later before the shed gets damaged and develops an attitude and attacks you with  2X4.

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Looks like an oak or sycamore,  can’t really tell, wind 💨  up there blurring my vision. 👀🤣

• Like 1