I've been gone a while...

72RustBucket

I know I'm not the most active member, and I haven't been able to make it to any of the meets. So I don't expect anybody to notice my absence, but I feel like getting some things off my chest to some who may be of a similar mindset.

December 20th, 2022 My grandfather(also shop owner, mentor) was struck and killed in a hit and run while waiting to cross the highway to get his mail. Investigations are technically still open but we will most likely never get any solid answers. While we were able to have a service, nobody was able to say any form of goodbye or see him one last time.

Obviously this has hit everybody hard, particularly my grandmother. So I've been spending a lot of my free time helping take care of the property, house, shop now that grandpa is gone. It is a lot more work than I ever thought! I also recently bought a house, and just got married this last year, so I have been busy with that as well. Sadly the Monte gets neglected for the most part, but at least its protected indoors. I see it every time I'm in the shop, and I've gone with intent to work on it...but without that knowledgeable second opinion on hand...its just hard to commit.

We were getting ready to clearance the block, and put together my rotating assembly after the holidays. Ive got my entire engine here in boxes. I know how to put an engine together, but I've never done it myself. I got lucky and one of the older machine shops in town used to trade work with my grandfather when he had his own machine shop up and running. They offered to clearance and assembly my rotating assembly for a price I couldn't refuse. So I have everything at my cousins shop now...I should have the engine wrapped by spring time, but who knows what life will throw my way next.

Thanks for letting me vent everyone, Ill update with actual fun car stuff when I can :)

-

Tom

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

Wow, so sorry for your loss Tom. What a tragic loss.

That being said, come visit here more often, we'll try to help keep you entertained at least (there's a couple of good clowns here 😁). If you can swing it, reserve a room at Carlisle, bring your new bride and come spend some time with your other Monte 'family' in June. I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time and also make a lot of new friends.

As far as the car, you know you can come here with questions and opinions on what needs to be done, and maybe help to get a little motivation.

Again, sorry for your loss.

• Like 5

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather. We all know how life comes first as well as the loved ones still with us. 

Congratulations on your marriage and house purchase. 

Do not hesitate to ask questions, vent or whatever else you may need. There are a lot of helpful people here. We are here for you or whoever needs us. 

• Like 7

So sorry for your loss that is awful 😪 hope your gram is doing alright.  Your a good person to step in to help her.  Family comes first car comes after that. Congratulations on the new house and new bride too. We're here if you need anything.  Like Joe said we do have some clowns here (he's one too😅) I do remember the name and did wonder where you went.

• Like 4

Tom, welcome back onboard 

I am so sorry to hear about the tragic loss if your grandfather.  Losing any family member or friend is hard but to lose someone in an accident, especially a Hit & Run compounds that loss.

We could never match the personal contact and touch of you grandfather but many here should be able to mentor and assist you technically so just fire away on what our members can help you with.

Congratulations on the new home (hopefully it has a large garage) and also Congratulations on the new wife.  

I do remember your screen name, welcome back and don't be a stranger here.

rob 

• Like 5

I won’t replicate what’s already been posted but you have my deepest sympathy on the loss and a hardy congratulations on the marriage and new home. Keep in mind there’s more to this group than the cars. We have fun and we bicker but most of all we treat each other like family, and you’re a part of that. Use it. That’s who we are. 

• Like 4

Tom, Condolences for you and your family on your grandfathers passing. Congratulations on your marriage and home purchase. As far as your Monte goes, higher priorities come first and as time allows. We’re here for you as needed, either on the Club website or in person at one of the Meets. 

• Like 3

I’m sorry for the loss of your grandfather Tom. From your post it appears you have a tight knit family and that your grandfather played an important part in that. It’s very honorable of you to help out with the situation your grandmother is faced with. It looks like you have full plate at this time, but don’t be a stranger to the site. Wishing you the best with your new marriage and home. Feel free to vent any time.   Mark 

• Like 3

Tom as has been said mine/our deepest condolences on Grandad. I for one just went through almost the same thing a few months ago, if you need to vent to me personally just PM me.  We are family here and you can vent or ask questions any time you want! 

I do remember you and also wondered where you were... Congrats on the Bride and the house. The Monte will understand the back seat until you get through this hard time. 

RIP Grandad!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...