Getting rid of Points

JOHNA01374

I was given a modified, small cap GM HEI so it looks like my old points dist but I haven't put it in yet because the old one still runs fine and I have several new sets of points in the glove box. The HEI requires a direct 12 volts, so I would have to run a new wire and all that is more work than I feel like doing.

small cap HEI

Bruce

Dave's Small body HEI site

Here is the experiences that I have heard with aftermarket ignition products:

Stay away from Accel & Mallory Products, MSD is the way to go.

I run MSD products and they are great. I like their billet distributors. Look at the e-curve distributor which gives you the chance to dial in a curve very easily.

However, I like unusal 'extreme' products, so if I were to invest my money in ignition again, I would go with this little known product:

http://www.compu-tronix.com/DIS8.htm

One of the easiest conversions i ever did. I was worried about swapping out the 10 or 12 gauge wire to the junction block for power but turned out to be a piece of cake. Just do all the reading you can on it and you'll be fine. The only thing i can recommend is make sure you are top dead center before you pull the distributor.

That's a nice list of recommendations! Now, what's ya going to do?

Just kidding. Andreas sure listed a neat one. New to me but I like it if your not trying to stay stock.

Bruce

the one Andreas posted is neat, but do you control your timing curve with it?

As I understand it, for timing it works like your conventional distributor (centrifugal advance)

I went with the Pertronix 111, hides under the stock cap has a rev limiter function, and works real well. simple to install also, but as mentioned before no matter what you decide you'll need to get 12 volts to an electronic ignition. I traced my resistor wire back to the plug on the fire wall and replaced it with a 12 gage wire.

I just call Pertronix and talked to them. I'm going to give the ignitor conversion a shot and see how that works out.

Did some additional service on the Monte Yesterday and found that the Timing chain is a little loose so it looks like a new timing chain is in the works. Also going to do a new water pump and belts since I'll have the whole front of the motor apart anyway smile