What did you do to your Monte today?

Took about a 150 mile round trip to visit my brother and his wife who moved back to Michigan (Schwartz Creek) after living in Parma Ohio for 42 years. The Monte ran great, has a bit of a tire vibration at 65-67 but gets a bit better at 70 - 72. Nice day!

Bruce

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put on my shock protector plates this weekend. They went on easily with no issues complete with stainless steel bolts and washers. While doing it, I noticed that the old load leveling lines are still under the car....not usable but still there.

I also recharged my air conditioning with 12A after discovering there's no leaks. It is blowing cold and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I also replaced my trunk weather stripping. The job went well but patience is necessary when removing the old stuff. After I had it all off, I went at the channel with a scothbrite which cleaned it up nicely. There was absolutely no rust anywhere in the channel which was a pleasant surprise. I finished it off with a couple of coats of black gloss....let it all dry and then installed the new weatherstrip the next day. I then had to adjust the trunk catch after all was said and done. It turned out nice and looks way better.

Other than that, I had it out for a couple of nice drives this weekend. I get many nice compliments on the car and you guys were correct about the license plate....people ask about it and love hearing the story. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Still waiting for dryer weather (sigh)! cry

But while waiting, installing new windshield glass, freshening up some painting, installing factory AM/FM Stereo, servicing A/C and installing power trunk release.

Plan on being road worthy by end of June when the weather starts cooperating! grin

Doug

Started the clean up proscess, I really havent done to much cleaning yet this spring with the starter problems but thats all fixed now. so I clay bared the car and started waxing it tonight I finished up the roof and figured as muggy as it is I would do some more tomorrow night, as I was standing there admiring my work a june bug tried to land on the roof on my way to shoo it away it started sliding off the roof it really was kinda funny wished I could have seen the look on its face tring to hold on for dear life but sliding off onto the floor. I guess it dont take much to entertain me lol.

I dropped off my 72 at the exhaust shop this morning. I'm getting a new dual exhaust to replace the original single exhaust. Since it's a daily driver, I'm not getting anything too fancy. Just 2 1/4 inch pipes and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers with some chrome tips.

I'm really looking forward to later this afternoon to hear how it sounds. yay

I painted my rad support in the 72 on the weekend. There was gold overspray all over the front of the support and other components in there which was visible through the grill. The support looks so much nicer now and I will continue to restore bits and pieces of the engine compartment over time. I should have also taken some "before" shots. It looks so much better when you look through the grill now.

The morning after we painted it. I should have taken pics of the top of the support but I didn't.

IMG_00000041.jpg

Me putting it back together

IMG_00000046.jpg

Now it looks much nicer behind the grill. Delco (my parents' dog) approves

IMG_00000047.jpg

Finish button up the dash today everything is wire and working right. Slide under the car installed the new speedo, oil sender and why it was in the air drained the oil and pulled the oil filter. Filled the new filter with break in oil for the new cam from Feb, and then put 4.5 quarts of break-in oil in the motor. Just need coolant and then it will breath life again.

Well I finally got the passenger side mirror I bought a while ago installed today. It looks GREAT and matches the OEM on the LEFT side. Now I REALLY have to get a new one of those..LOL

Sorry no pics yet and since it is a basic install didn't bother with a how to for it. But a piece of masking tape, a ruler and a drill bit pretty much covers it.

Pics soon but backing out of the garage just got a lot easier wink

Scott

Nice. But having done it..I'd paint it....but that is because I see all that work ahead..LOL...but guess you can polish it and then later PAINT it for a change???

Get out the Absorbine Jr. your gonna need it grin

Nice job on it! I'd paint it and clear coat it for the low maintenance factor and it will still look great too. smile

Cheers,

Larry

Geesh what is it with you and clear coat? It's like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the Windex...LOL...cure for everything...

Sorry just kidding Larry...it is a good idea just had to bust your chops a bit.. grin Don't want ya getting a FAT HEAD now or you won't fit through the garage door kicking

Started to replace all the rubber hoses that come from the gas tank. I hope to find the type with a liner that will hold up to today's fuel. One was fairly bad but not broken till I pulled on it. My 71 has the closed system and evaporation storage canister.

Bruce

Ordered the rebuilt AC compressor, expansion valve, drier,thermal limiter fuse and the two wire plug for the compressor clutch. Parts should be in hand by noon tomorrow.

It hasn't rained in about 12 days and the forecast looked good for the next few days so I washed the 72 (daily driver) last night. It rained today and now the forecast for tomorrow is more rain. It might get another wash Sunday. That's one drawback to a daily driver... hard to keep it clean.

Decided to move the Monte from storage at my Mom & Stepdad's house to my aunt's since they put boxes and tv's on top of it! mad and here is the kicker... Someone decided to drag the floor jack along side of the Monte and put a 2ft long white scratch on the driver's door- quarter panel madmad

So now it is in a garage with nothing else! smile