454 question

ScottNM

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Rod, my friends brother has an uncle who lives next to farmer who's sister in law is married to a guy who's stepson knows of one in a barn outside of Fresno next to the raisin factory...

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo "W" code 454.

CPD = 270 hp with TH 400 trans

CRW = 270 hp with TH 400 trans, A.I.R

My 2 cents

Darren,

In the Chevrolet by the numbers book the code CRN is Monte Carlo specific for 454 with th400, no mention of it being used for a Chevelle.

I'm not a Chevelle expert but I'm getting below for Chevelles

CRQ =th 400 360hp

CRR =th 400 450hp sp hi perf

CRT =3-4spd 360hp

CRV =4-spd 450hp sp hi perf

I know the guy that Daveys friends brother knows. kicking

Vaughn

Turns out it had a LS6 in it but bigfoot had been seen around the garage and one day the hood was ripped out and engine missing. They found bear like fur around the grille, looks like we missed again. Seriously, I finding there are some great stories about these Monte SS's, most of which do not pan out.

I don't know Rod, my friends brother has an uncle who lives next to farmer who's sister in law is married to a guy who's stepson knows of one in a barn outside of Fresno next to the raisin factory...

OMG....this is too much!!! laughlaughlaughlaugh I can't take any more.....

• 4 weeks later...
So is the LS6 hoopla over? grin

Never!

I've had guys tell me they had the exact same SS as mine. Yup, cowl induction hood too. But with a 350 engine. And it was a '73. Exact same car tho.

I've had guys tell me they had the exact same SS as mine. Yup, cowl induction hood too. But with a 350 engine. And it was a '73. Exact same car tho.

I just smile and nod.

The LS6 could be had in Chevelles and Corvettes in 1970, Corvettes only in 1971. No Chevelles were produced for model year 1971 with LS6 engines. I've always maintained that IF there was a LS6 Monte Carlo produced, it would surely be a 1970 model, not a '71.

Having said this...

I had a friend (he's no longer with us) who ordered a 1970 SS Monte Carlo with the LS6 engine. He was "connected" with the dealership and pulled a lot of strings to make it happen. The car was neither produced or delivered. He eventually took delivery of a SS with the LS5 engine.

Having said that...

It is possible that an "internal use" vehicle was produced, never to be sold. There's a story of a plant manager having an Impala made with the ZL1 aluminum 427 Corvette engine in it. When he left the plant, it was transferred to the incoming plant manager. Cars like this would certainly never leave the realm of GM.

It is possible that an "internal use" vehicle was produced, never to be sold. There's a story of a plant manager having an Impala made with the ZL1 aluminum 427 Corvette engine in it. When he left the plant, it was transferred to the incoming plant manager. Cars like this would certainly never leave the realm of GM.

Plausible at best...I'll believe it when I see it. lol

We have all seen COPO Chevelles and Camaros, I wonder if they ever built a COPO Monte Carlo? (Central Office Production Order) My brother in-law (retired from Chevrolet engineering) drove a black 1969 427 Camaro COPO to my brothers wedding. I got to find that picture. If we only knew then what we know now!

Bruce

anything can be faked these days, there are some pretty nice looking build sheets out there. I think the only reason you won't see a faked Monte LS6 car is because it would be so rare and so scrutinized the chances of pulling it off would be extremely low to not at all.

There are by comparison a more LS6 SS Chevelles so unless it shows up on a Chevelle site faking it has better odds.

That said.....I hear there's a barn outside of Tulsa that has a LS6 4-speed car.... wink

That said.....I hear there's a barn outside of Tulsa that has a LS6 4-speed car.... wink

Didn't I tell you, not say anything.. kicking That's the last time I tell you something.

anything can be faked these days, there are some pretty nice looking build sheets out there. I think the only reason you won't see a faked Monte LS6 car is because it would be so rare and so scrutinized the chances of pulling it off would be extremely low to not at all.

There are by comparison a more LS6 SS Chevelles so unless it shows up on a Chevelle site faking it has better odds.

I know what barn you're talking about. That's my ex wifes cousins, brother in law's, neighbor's sisters, dad's car.

Correction:

While cruising around in my lawyer's '09 Corvette, he said the LS6 was not available in the 1970 Corvette.

I researched...

The LS6 engine only came in the 1970 Chevelle, not the Corvette also.

You guys are so cynical.

For all you non-believers I happen to own the only '70 COPO LS-6 Monte Carlo in existence. The block is made entirely of unobtanium and is stamped with the letters "LOL." True story.

You guys are so cynical.

For all you non-believers I happen to own the only '70 COPO LS-6 Monte Carlo in existence. The block is made entirely of unobtanium and is stamped with the letters "LOL." True story.

Hey Nate, you told me it was a 70 Baldwin Motion LS-6 Monte Carlo.....? and had a M-19 tranny in it..!

HAHAHA....

Darren. laughlaughcry

Hey Scott, here is a LS-6 Build Sheet and it is denoted smack dab in the middle top line....

Darren.

Originally Posted By: NateZ
You guys are so cynical.

Hey Nate, you told me it was a 70 Baldwin Motion LS-6 Monte Carlo.....? and had a M-19 tranny in it..!

HAHAHA....

Darren. laughlaughcry

Thanks for correcting me. After many long minutes of research, it has been determined that my Monte is truly a 1 of 1: a 1970 Nickey-Yenko-Baldwin Motion COPO LS-6 Monte Carlo convertible with a M-25 rock "insulter" five-speed automatic (1 of 1 prototype transmission built by Oldsmobile). I installed the M-19 rock "curser" manual trans to save on gas. You know, don't want people to get the facts wrong. grin

Thanks for correcting me. After many long minutes of research, it has been determined that my Monte is truly a 1 of 1: a 1970 Nickey-Yenko-Baldwin Motion COPO LS-6 Monte Carlo convertible with a M-25 rock "insulter" five-speed automatic (1 of 1 prototype transmission built by Oldsmobile). I installed the M-19 rock "curser" manual trans to save on gas. You know, don't want people to get the facts wrong. grin

I think all you need for setting people straight is to show 'em your paperwork. The original authentication/certification/validation signatures from Dick Harrell, Don Yenko, Joel Rosen, and Joe Mondello should carry some weight. And, man, you've even got a Galen Govier signature and a Marti Report too, don't you?

wink

Dave