SS Tips and New BFG Radials

LostnFound

I finally got around to putting the correct exhaust tips on the old girl this weekend and gave her a new set of radials while I was at it. I've always loved the old school look of the white letter BFG Radial T/A's. smile

MontePicsJuly22-2012005.jpg

MontePicsJuly22-2012007.jpg

MontePicsJuly22-2012006.jpg

The Goodyear tires I took off the car had 50% tread wear left on them but were really starting to get weather-checked between the tread. There was an immediate difference in the ride.....it rides even smoother now.

Love the classic, sofisticated look of your '71 SS, Larry! Do you know the origin of your sport mirrors? Are they from a later Monte or other GM model?

Hi Dennis. Here's the photos I have of the car from 1974/75...one pic shows the driver's side sport mirror but nothing on the passenger side and the other pic shows them on both sides. I was just a kid but I do remember my Uncle having the passenger side one added but not sure what it came from. I have my suspicions that it may have accidentally gone out in the garbage or something at the plant. smile

MonteCarloAndBoatCirca1975.jpg

MonteCarloCirca1975.jpg

Cheers,

Larry

Looks real good! The BFGs are timeless on muscle cars! I have a set of the tips here for over a year, I need to get them to my friends muffler shop to install, my pipes are 2 1/2" also, so Ill let him do them the right way, or I could just get a sleeve and 4 muffler clamps eek

Thanks for all your positive comments. I haven't had a whole lot of time for the Monte these days but I'm doing what I can, when I can. My buddy Andy is in the hospital....six weeks now. He is now without a pancreas. He has gone code blue twice but even though it is still a roller coaster ride for him, it looks like he is going to make it. It all started with a gallstone that lodged in the pancreas duct and then he ended up with a condition called sepsis. The doctors are even saying that it is a miracle that he is still alive. I go and see him every other day and try my best to raise his spirits with my corny sense of humor. smile

I hope everyone is having a wonderfully Monte summer.

Cheers,

Larry

Hey Steve and Tony.....the tips I had purchased are the aftermarket ones (approx $80 for the pair) They seem to be high quality and are very heavy and well made. My exhaust is also 2 1/2" so what we did is we cut spacer sleeves for them just long enough to do the trick. Then, we tack welded them on when we got them positioned where we wanted them. We also installed the new clamps and hangars. The clamps and hangers are the correct ones for the FGMC as well as the Chevelles I believe. They weren't cheap but were worth the price IMO.

Just be sure you get the tips positioned where you want them before doing the welds. It is a 2 person job IMO.

Cheers,

Larry

Hi Dennis. Here's the photos I have of the car from 1974/75...one pic shows the driver's side sport mirror but nothing on the passenger side and the other pic shows them on both sides. I was just a kid but I do remember my Uncle having the passenger side one added but not sure what it came from. I have my suspicions that it may have accidentally gone out in the garbage or something at the plant. smile

MonteCarloAndBoatCirca1975.jpg

MonteCarloCirca1975.jpg

Cheers,

Larry

I have never seen another Monte with the sport mirror on the right side, I would love to add one to mine so if anyone has any info on doing it it would be nice to hear about what would fit.

Hey Fast SS.....I'll see what I can find out. Maybe it is off a Chevelle or a second generation Monte? I'll ask my Dad in case he remembers where my Uncle got it from. It does not adjust from the inside of the car......only adjusts manually from the outside....but I love the look and I'm happy it is there.

I suspect that it came out of the plant in a lunchbox at some point. LOL