What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Quote:
Definitely something for me to look into, then... I get a nice steady drip from the mirror onto my seats when it rains >.<

FYI, the seals he bought from Tamraz are for the side glass and trunk, not the windshield. Isn't your leak at the windshield?

The windshield was installed without a soft rubber seal. You can reseal it. Read here.

Dan

Exactly.....not the front or rear glass seals. Side glass, doors, hood and trunk.

20140413_141607_zps4aefec8a.jpg

20140413_141629_zps7d35b5f1.jpg

20140413_141645_zps9733366f.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... this seems like a poor plan for me to be doing... I'd be nervous as all get out that I'd break the windshield.

Also finished up the motor for now. It runs great with the new electronic choke Edelbrock carb....went with the 1406 like someone mentioned from here.

20140413_145310_zps29312235.jpg

20140413_145323_zpse5d68e3d.jpg

20140413_145337_zpse33131e2.jpg

Thought I was looking at a shot form under my hood. Same style valve covers, air cleaner cover, red dist cap and wires and shiney headers but I do not have that vacuum ball on my AC.

Thought I was looking at a shot form under my hood. Same style valve covers, air cleaner cover, red dist cap and wires and shiney headers but I do not have that vacuum ball on my AC.

Great minds think a like!

Where to start lol pulled my 70 out of the garage and parked it in the driveway in case we take somewhere. With the 70 out of the way we push the U code 72 off the trailer and into the garage. Body is still on our body cart 1509135_748666458501663_9150183001051220 We went ahead and tacked the back half frame in place got our wheel base set and the 33x22x16 tires in place 10253740_748665435168432_472585333437409

Thems some wide tires... dayum. They're not as tall as the biggest I've had to work with, but I think they're about 6-10 inches wider.

Where to start lol pulled my 70 out of the garage and parked it in the driveway in case we take somewhere. With the 70 out of the way we push the U code 72 off the trailer and into the garage. Body is still on our body cart 1509135_748666458501663_9150183001051220 We went ahead and tacked the back half frame in place got our wheel base set and the 33x22x16 tires in place 10253740_748665435168432_472585333437409

Getting there ERT. Looks like the rear axle is backwards

Finally started installing Power Door Locks, Power Windows! Everything removed from interior doors, doors removed and doors / jams drilled for boots installed and doors replaced. Door harnesses run through doors & thru kick panels.

This is what I had done today. Tomorrow will remove dash cap and run wiring That connects both doors plus anything else I may be able to get started on with power window regulators and door locks.

Doing this is sections. Focusing on the power windows and door locks first in doors. Once hooked up and operating, will move to rear quarter windows until operating. Last, moving to power bucket seat installation.

It's a work in progress. Here is a sampling of what was accomplished today.

100_4140.jpg

100_4146.jpg

100_4157.jpg

100_4149.jpg

So, what I feared would be the worst part is now done. Whats left I'm calling cake! smile

Doug

Yeah, I had been pretty apprehensive about this back when I first decided to do it right up to today.

During that interim before I got started, had plenty of advise and good instruction, plus allowed me the time to gather everything I needed to start / complete job. Planning my attack beforehand to now anyway, made it so much more easier. Spent roughly 6 hours (3 1/2 hrs. on driver door and 1 1/2 hrs. on passenger. After the trial period on driver door, passenger went way smoother!

Figured doing it in sections keeps everything in front of me reducing a lot of confusion.

Thanks for the props. smile Again doing it in stages removes a bunch of intimidation.

Hope to be completed in the next weeks as I will only work on it intermittently as I have other obligations. Main thing is shes still drivable after each step.

100_4144.jpg

I wonder what people would say if I drove her home this way! confused

Doug

Looking good, Doug. You definitely have one of the more intimidating phases of the project behind you.

Doing the rear quarter windows is pretty straight forward but will take some time. In addition to removing the rear seat and interior, I couldn't figure out a way to install the wiring harness under the carpet without removing the driver's seat - not difficult, just time consuming.

Are you planning to run additional power direct from your battery or will you be tapping into your stock fuse panel?

Looking good, Doug. You definitely have one of the more intimidating phases of the project behind you.

Are you planning to run additional power direct from your battery or will you be tapping into your stock fuse panel?

Hi Dennis,

At this point I am looking at using the fuse panel. Once I get the wiring harness routed for the front windows & door locks I will see if I can take advantage of an idea I have.

I have one void circuit in the fuse panel next to emergency flasher and I have a stock fuse circuit to fill it that originally could have been found there. It will power all the windows, locks and power seat (at least that's the plan). Malibu 400 (Rainer) had it and gave me one from a donor car he had.

Don't really have to go to all that additional effort but I've been pretty anal about keeping as much originality into it as practical.

I am however going to go keyless with the locks and trunk release. That is one of the limited luxuries beyond circa that I will afford myself.

I haven't figured out just how I'm going to route the harness inside / across doors yet to connect door leads. I have studied your pics and provides some insight. (I saw a blue wire not part of your harness) that looks like grounded with screw to door exterior and travels across/up rear of door and then runs into access panel and out of sight. Was curious what that wires function is. Was that part of your keyless entry?

Also deliberating on the relay (where to affix it). These are all questions I might figure out today if time allows.

Doug

Hi, Doug,

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread so we can take this off-line or to another thread if you want.

I originally wanted to use the vacant main power port on my fuse panel but I could not locate a new or used breaker and lug like Rainer included with your set up. That is the factory-correct setup so you should be good to go.

I'm not sure which photo you are referring to that shows a blue wire going to ground, but I did not have any keyless stuff when those photos were taken so it must be something else. Here's a photo showing both the factory power window and the factor power door lock harnesses being installed in the driver's door.

785_zps680dbebb.jpg

The blue wire at the bottom goes from the master power window switch module (4 switches) to the driver's power window regulator just behind the door panel. The green wire runs from the power door lock switch to the solenoid in the bottom back edge of the door. Just route the wire along the natural contours of the door panel and tie them in place at several points and you should be fine.

The factory location of the power window relay is inside the cowl sill just slightly below the hole you cut for the accordion grommet. NOTE: I did not remove the driver's kick panel but I did loosen it along the front edge for access to mount the relay to the cowl sill with a sheet metal screw. I can't imagine why GM chose that location for the relay as it is nearly inaccessible for replacement if it fails.

If you have already re-hung your driver's do, I have no idea how you will ever mount the relay in the factory location unless you remove the kick panel.

Following are a couple of photos that might help.

665.jpg

667.jpg

670.jpg

Spent today routing wire harness over top of dash to connect both front door power window / door locks. Ran a power lead from engine compartment into cabin (not yet attached) and installed driver power window. Used external source to actuate window and it is quick! grin

Tomorrow will install passenger side power window and hopefully have power door locks installed/operational. This will complete phase 1. Going to take a few days off to recover!! coffee2 Still need to install power source in fuse panel and replace kick panels. Saving installing dash cap after (ALL 4) windows are installed and operational. Also front door panels still need modification for switches and replaced.

Hey McFan, I figured out at least what seemed to work best for me and the pic shows how I routed driver door wiring. smile

I'm guessing I'll have operational front door power windows & locks with power coming from fuse panel by Sunday at the outside.

100_4160.jpg

Doug