72 Custom ??

454 yes...4 speed no..... wink

Correct..... 454= W code and NO 4spds for 1972 period BB or SB

oh and the Code 19 - Black Paint was Custom Order only...

Darren.

Thanks for the clarification guys, makes me think of one other question for 72's. Seems as tho only the 72 vinyl top cars (that I've seen) have the vinyl all the way to the drip rails. (Haven't seen 70 or 71's this way) Is this just my lack of experience with 72's or was this basically due to replacement vinyl preferences or was actually a 72 detail?

Back in the day, dealerships would order cars without some of the options like A/C, Stereo and vinyl tops then have a local shop add them at a higher profit margin. They would also add NON factory items like opera windows, mud flaps, rust proofing, paint sealer or just about anything to make the deal. One other possibility is the roof was replaced at one time and they damaged the OEM moldings.

Bruce

Earlier production 70s had the FULL halo top, like seen on some 69 Camaros. My car was an April 70 car, and had the FULL Halo. Kevin's is a July car and does not, from that point forward no more full halo cars were made.

Also.... You could not get fender skirts with a Custom due to the offset of rim and "custom only" hubcap or with rallies for that matter due to offset/width of tire. In both cases would rub on inside of skirt.

Jim Austin's 72 was specifically ordered as a fully loaded " non-custom " with 454 bc guy wanted fender skirts and could not get them with a Custom. He also special ordered the car in black since not available in 72. Build sheet lists everything.

Just an FYI

Dan

Back in 1972 my husband and i bought a monte carlo,,, he tried to talk me into a triple black custom with a 454 4-speed, i didnt go for it... instead we bought a mohave gold,tan top and tan interior with bucket seats and console ..... wish i had either one of them now..... wanda

In fact those original "w" code 454 Customs are kinda rare and desirable as a 72 model year item can be-I learned that like so much else by hangin around here all these years(as in not as rare or desireable as the earlier SS ,402 4 speed,or similar items).

I have a small block Custom which by now is as "Incorrect as it can be"-wrong color,rallye wheels,engine mods etc-it came to me pretty much that way-I would never modify any "100 percent correct bone stock Custom since i think it would be worth more and be more unique completely unmolested...maybe since they came with the 12 bolt and other suspension goodies they were more often modified for performance at the expense of "factory correctness" who knows/

But like most of you,correct or not "shes my baby'"and the thrill of a ride long or short is just the same as it was 8 years ago when she rolled off the trailer,completing a 2800 mile journey to her new "protective guardian"(the seller used that phrase -he was neglecting her due to time,other projects etc and was wise enough to know she deserved better-thats where I came along haha)

Ok that completes my Sunday morning ramble over coffee... Brian

I have a 72 Custom, also a 350. I chose to alter from original and build it how I want it to be. If it was a W code car (especially in black) already loaded up with all the goodies, I would have definetly returned it to an original state. I'm curious how many members here have a Custom, how many with 402's and how many with 454's. I also wonder how many were actually built? It really is a shame GM didn't offer an SS for the 72 model year and really a big mistake not offering the convertable. From what I have read the 72 monte was going to be the first year of 2nd gen but a strike at GM halted production and GM ran the first gen body style for the third year, anyone else heard of this?

Sweet ride Davey, love it cool

Came across this one for sale on CL, not much info here but its a "stick n floor". guess thats better than a stick in the mud grin

Glad to see his emblems are crooked just like mine, guess the factory didnt do such a good job drilling the extra holes for Custom emblem

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3494122665.html

While mine is not a custom...it's pretty darn close...it's a "w"code 454 special order black, loaded, cloth bucket a/c, p/w, p/l, cruise.and so on. I am actually curious to see how many other "w" code "loaded"cars are out there. And, while I have been slowly modifying mine to my liking, I have kept everything that has come off...just in case lol

I also own a 72 Custom. When I picked her up, she came with a 350 CI, 350 Tranny & 273.1 ratio 10 Bolt open rear Axle along with the Custom package options of course. My Build Sheet includes the Z03 identification & matches VIN. I had since made some upgrades to the Engine & Power Train by swapping out the 350/350 with a year correct 402 CI taken from a 72 Monte along with the TH400 Tranny. The rear Axle however comes from a 69 Chevelle and is a 331:1 ratio Posi. These were my preferences & in the process attempted to maintain the integrety by selecting those components that were used during the 1st Gen era (other than the rear Axle).

I favored the 72 because I had owned one earlier. I settled on the Custom because of the enhanced equipment that was standard on the Custom models.

I had considered refurbishing her as stock but considering the alterations made by previous owners & the needs to return her to that stage were just to great. I have since also added a passenger (non stock) sport mirror and circa Power Trunk Release. Awaiting further upgrades are the Power Driver Seat, Power Windows & Door Locks. Had hoped to accomplish this during the Winter/Spring months but doesn't look like the time is right yet.

Hey Davey,

I had often wondered just how many 72 Customs were built but hadn't found any info on them to verify. Any idea where that population for the 72 Custom came from just in case I have to defend those numbers?

Doug

In his modifications done I sure hope he didnt cut up that console to make the DVD fit in there ???? hopefully he cut around it with that box he made...??? And can anyone say NEEDS NEW REAR SPRINGS to this fella.....hahahaha.. Nice Custom anyways but as many my opinion is OEM all the way take out that other Junk..... smile

Darren.

Its nice to see a thread every so often that "kicks around" the Monte Custom package...it is unfortunate that there is no way to accurately report how many TOTAL(bb&sb) Customs were built since our arcives indicate that GM didn't keep it as a seperate model...but as recorded and as Davey stated, only 1268 total 454 cars were issued in 1972. Were ALL 454 cars Customs? Obviously not,as Jims 70 immediately proves..but as percentage of total yearly production: 1268 of 180,819(0.7%) they are more rare then the 70 SS (1919 of 128,600-1.5%) and 70SS(3823 of 145,976-2.6%) Interesting little trivia tidbit-its New Years Day I must not have enough to do today)

As to that strike,I am not sure but I thought it occurred during the 1971 production,delaying it and reducing output to 128,600-perhaps someone can clarify this-BUT if there was a disruption that prevented retooling the entire line for '72 well then I say BRAVO to the hands of fate-for one my car and so many other beauties(including those 1268) would never have rolled out the plant door-and to boot with sales of over 180K the '72 'wasnt too shabby'

Why didnt they build an SS for '72? I dont know but welcome comments...maybe because the sales numbers slipped so much from 70 to 71 they figured lets not try and push this performance thing any farther but go with some appearance and comfort goodiees instead?? With a price tag of just a couple hundred bucks,you would think almost all 72 would be customs- it seems worth the price even in 1972 dollars..

And lastly,the car in the ad seems fine but those kick panels have to go-I like to stretch out while driving and that Monte of mine feels like a comfy couch on wheels- those things would drive me crazy!! Brian