Mirror

Here's the correct one for a 72 Monte. Here several links.

http://bit.ly/VGpNf4

Item: 1972 Chevelle Monte Carlo Gm Rear View Mirror With Map Light

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=110998053924

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Chevelle-Monte-Carlo-Gm-Rear-View-Mirror-Map-Light-/110998053924

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

Sent from my Transform™ Ultra

I was not aware they had different models of the map light rear view mirror. I have one like the picture Cory posted which belongs to a friend of my and it needs a new glass. Is 71 mirrors also have the black housing or is it chrome like the 70?

We've been trying to solve the black vs chrome mystery at the last couple meets. It seems like 72 had black housings and 7 had chrome. I think 71 was also chrome.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration put a. end to the chrome/stainless rearview mirror in 1971. They claimed the glare from the sun often reflected into oncoming traffic causing excessive amounts a car accidents. Wonder how much $ they spent researching that? Doesn't seem very likely to me.

I guess I didnt phrase that correctly, 71 was the last year for the "shiny" mirrors. 72 model year began the "black" mirrors and another great SAFETY feature - the seat belt warning light. The beginnings of the modern air bag system. smile Anyone ever notice in their 72 that the bottom of the passenger seat has a pressure sensitive switch that senses a passenger is present and activates the warning system? confused

Rumor had it that there was a couple of things changed mid 1971 here are some examples...

....Some late 71's had the Fasten Seat Belt light..

....Maplight mirror changed to black from chrome or shiny..

....The woodgrain dash faceplate was held on with dumbgum and

not butterfly clips.

....Manual window winder knobs changed to black in color from a

yellowish tinge color.

there are probably more to add to this but these are the 3 I know of...

Darren.

not butterfly clips.

Darren.

Now I've seen the dash held in with clips from a 72 I must say that is a better design then the plastic clips like the 70's had. After I painted this for a guy dash003.jpg I though how is he going to put the wood gain back on it (thinking it was for a Chevelle) and that is when he told me it had clips. Also on that same dash it has the seat belt light and I think his wood gain did not have the cut out for the light.

Rumor had it that there was a couple of things changed mid 1971 here are some examples...

....Some late 71's had the Fasten Seat Belt light..

....Maplight mirror changed to black from chrome or shiny..

not butterfly clips.

....Manual window winder knobs changed to black in color from a

yellowish tinge color.

there are probably more to add to this but these are the 3 I know of...

Darren.

Interesting, mine is a 72, early part of the production run (built in Sep 71) and there is no fasten seat belt light in the dash (dash is original), none of the wiring to the seats/seat belts, woodgrain is held on by butterfly clips and the mirror with map light has silver backing. Can't speak to the window knobs as I have power windows. Car was built in Oshawa. I would be interested in someone confirming they have a 71 with a fasten seat belt light. If that is confirmed the transition must be a plant specific issue, may even be related to extra stock left over from the 1971 strike. For example, my 72 and others I have seen have the 71 version of the trunk lock bezel.

Fasten seat belt light was for cars sold on or after Jan 1, 1972. I had a brand new 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme bought the day of introduction in Oct, 1971 that did not have the seat belt light. A friend got a new 72 Cutlass in March 1972 and it had the system. I've never seen a 71 Monte with the system and there are some early 72's that don't have it.

Interesting, mine is a 72, early part of the production run (built in Sep 71) and there is no fasten seat belt light in the dash (dash is original), none of the wiring to the seats/seat belts, woodgrain is held on by butterfly clips and the mirror with map light has silver backing. Can't speak to the window knobs as I have power windows. Car was built in Oshawa. I would be interested in someone confirming they have a 71 with a fasten seat belt light. If that is confirmed the transition must be a plant specific issue, may even be related to extra stock left over from the 1971 strike. For example, my 72 and others I have seen have the 71 version of the trunk lock bezel.

I think your 72 without the warning light is correct since it was built in 71.

I have seen a couple 72s now with the woodgrain held on by the clips. I think both the gummy stuff and clips were used.

The chrome mirror is odd but may have something to do with built in Canada.

As for the 71 trunk lock bezel, I find it hard to believe that the quality control was bad enough to have 1972 cars leave the factory with the 1971 roman numerals on it.

I will have to check my mirrors on both the 71 and 72. I am in the process of doing the 72 dash now and the woodgrain is held on with both the sticky stuff and the wings(clips). 72 has elec windows so cant help wth the window knobs.