What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Was able to wire wheel the floor boards in the 70 Monte on the weekend and get a couple coats of POR15 on it. The floors were not as bad as it appeared in the photos I posted earlier. Just surface rust which came off with ease and still left with very strong floor boards. Looks like I'll be putting in the new flooring later this week. The new door panels are ready but need to wait for a few parts I ordered before I can put those on for good. I can work on the new package tray and get the back half of the interior back together.

In 10 days, I will have owned this car for 20 years!

I got my front seat back with the new covers on yesterday. Looks fantastic. The upholstery guy found a partial build sheet in the seat when he pulled off the old covers and foam. I also finished the sound deadening material and started laying out the carpet. Its getting there.

013.JPG

015.JPG

017.JPG

• Like 1

I got my front seat back with the new covers on yesterday. Looks fantastic. The upholstery guy found a partial build sheet in the seat when he pulled off the old covers and foam. I also finished the sound deadening material and started laying out the carpet. Its getting there.

It looks great!!! Can't wait to see it installed  :cool:

• Like 1

On my ACC carpet I had quite a bit of trimming to do along the doors. That being said I got carried away a little and then had to try and splice a piece along rear of the drivers door. Unless you know what to look for It does not show. Also around the console it is a little close in a spot or two. I should have taken more time but as usual I got in to darn big of a hurry. That is the biggest reason I did not repaint my 72 plus I ma getting lazy in my golden years.

On my ACC carpet I had quite a bit of trimming to do along the doors. That being said I got carried away a little and then had to try and splice a piece along rear of the drivers door. Unless you know what to look for It does not show. Also around the console it is a little close in a spot or two. I should have taken more time but as usual I got in to darn big of a hurry. That is the biggest reason I did not repaint my 72 plus I ma getting lazy in my golden years.

I wonder if the old carpet could be used as a template for the new carpet.

Glen that is what I did used the old as a pattern but did not cut the door area's because I used a newer style of plush nap on my carpets instead of the loop style plus it had the mass backing on it along with the jute padding on the floor pan area's.

Right now I am thinking of pulling the motor and tranny and carpet and putting in a Muncie 4 speed. I found a 1970 Muncie 4 speed for 500$ locally. I would need to redo the hump and change out out the pedals. I really reallly want to convert to A 4 speed.

• Like 1

Right now I am thinking of pulling the motor and tranny and carpet and putting in a Muncie 4 speed. I found a 1970 Muncie 4 speed for 500$ locally. I would need to redo the hump and change out out the pedals. I really reallly want to convert to A 4 speed.

I triple dog dare you...........LOL

• Like 3

Aaron, how much trimming did you have to do on the carpet? Or is it a direct fit?

I have not trimmed it yet but it will require quite a bit of trimming. I've let it lay out for a while as it was folded up pretty tightly in the box. I have been working on the package tray and the doors. I also have a basement renovation I'm working on so that has taken me away from the Monte the past few days.

Found a surprise last night when I pulled off the weatherstrip from the passenger door. Both doors are in excellent shape until I got all the way around to the rust at the top edge at the front of the door. I'm amazed how bad that area is with the rest being so nice.

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

It never fails, there's always something to slow the forward progress. I also agree with Larry, never seen that particular area. Usually doors are prone toward the bottom edge, specially with blocked weep holes.

Finished up replacing the booster, master unit. The old one was pretty ugly. Rusty and dingy looking. I ended going with a 9" booster and an AC Delco master I had powder coated mirror black. I also replaced the vacuum hose out for a braided one. I think it was worth the numerous issues I ran into. Just an FYI, do not go with Right Stuff 8" chrome booster. The bracket that attaches to the firewall is backwards, meaning the bolts are on the inside of the brackets making it impossible to get a wrench on them.post-1188-0-12743900-1479340935_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good!

Question:

Didn't Chevrolet eliminate the air cleaner decal in 1972?

Bruce

I heard this as well however heard early built 72 s like mine can have it. My car was built November of 71 and has decal. It does not have the seat belt warning in dash either. So I think early build 72s have some differences.

I bypassed the oil cooler, dropped in an HEI distributor and rigged up the starter. This engine hasn't been cranked in about 22 years. 42 PSI at cranking speed!

This was fresh oil just to flush everything out. Fresh oil and filter again and I'm doing a three minute run on Monday. I'm looking at the Holley Sniper system and it needs at least 6 inches of vacuum. My cam has a lobe separation of 108 degrees so it's a big question that'll determine my path moving forward.

Note the missing hood :cry2:

42%20PSI_zpsdqp7rth4.jpg

• Like 1