What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

12 hours ago, jft69z said:

72 Customs come with that driver side mirror. I think you could get a passenger side as well in Canada, from what I remember seeing here in the past.

My red 71 SS454 I had was Canadian built with the dual sport mirror option but still only rolled off the assembly line with the driver's side mirror. Even at the factory the pass side mirror was rare. I do know of a club member with a black 1971 Canadian built SS454 that has both sport mirrors. It is the only one I've ever seen.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Marks71 said:

Was the driver side remote but not the passenger side?

Correct, only the driver's side was remote.

• Like 1

Here's the option list from GM for a Canadian built 1971 SS454 Monte Carlo with the sport mirror option. Note the description for D35

image.thumb.png.63b36c67c0cc65291083db2a1e78a807.png

• Like 5

Thank you, that answers some questions.  I have a '72 with only the drivers sport mirror.  Canadian built as well. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:55 AM, Rob Peters said:

After sanding them down and you had a nice shiny polished bare metal look you should have clear-coated them for an interesting chrome like modified look..  it may be an alteration from Factory Correct demerit but what the heck.

rib

Didn’t cross my mind to do that Rob, I did think of getting them chromed at some point but couldn’t find a place that does that close to me.. something about environmental problems doing chrome now.. evidently. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 1:22 PM, Marks71 said:

They came out nice. What are your side mirrors off of.

This is a picture of a 1971 Monte Carlo sales brochure center fold, with an SS sporting a drivers side remote sport mirror..  

Then a pix of the drivers sport remote mirror and passenger non remote sport mirror on my 71.   When we were at the 2021 Eastern FGMCC Meet in Bristol, a fan was watching the drag races on satellite tv. The airplane camera zoomed in on the car show and all the Montes, the fan called a friend of his at the show, and asked where the heck did the rt side sport mirror on that white Monte come from?.. we were parked two cars down. I said, as far as I remember, I got it thru the Parts Place..

Anyways, we made friends with the couple 2 cars down, but unfortunately he passed away the next year. His name was Richard, went by name Dick, wife’s name was Joyce, but I don’t remember their last name.. great people. Car was copper color. True story.. 

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.f1b5c791b46cf6532659e76f8876d5ee.jpeg

IMG_2511.thumb.jpeg.40a96b5965419b13d72fdd4b00d65baa.jpeg

IMG_2512.thumb.jpeg.eab20316d86009f9c953d3b9cad9797c.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Searsman said:

This is a picture of a 1971 Monte Carlo sales brochure center fold IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.f1b5c791b46cf6532659e76f8876d5ee.jpeg

Here’s an interesting note about that image in the 1971 brochure, the mirror was added to the photo after the fact (ie touched up). It is actually a photo of a 1970 Monte Carlo that they colorized and touched up for the 1971 brochure. For the 71 catalog they changed the wheels, tires, hood emblem, halo trim, driver’s mirror and rear SS trim in the photo. The door panel still is 1970 though.

This is the original photo.
image.png.1f2806ca780cd852c88680327a4cd49c.png

• Like 4
  • Thank You! 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Here’s an interesting note about that image in the 1971 brochure, the mirror was added to the photo after the fact (ie touched up). It is actually a photo of a 1970 Monte Carlo that they colorized and touched up for the 1971 brochure. For the 71 catalog they changed the wheels, tires, hood emblem, halo trim, driver’s mirror and rear SS trim in the photo. The door panel still is 1970 though.

WOW! Thanks, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

I’m glad you brought that up Aaron, because something didn’t look right about that photo. That horizontal trim piece. Those sure are good looking mirrors though. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Ron, that would have been Dick and Joyce Savage.

rob

I knew you would remember Rob. Thank you for reminding us. We were so sad when they didn’t make it to the 22 Meet in Carlisle. Great people , like most of our members are.. probably ALL.. thanks Rob… 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 7:33 AM, Searsman said:

I knew you would remember Rob. Thank you for reminding us. We were so sad when they didn’t make it to the 22 Meet in Carlisle. Great people , like most of our members are.. probably ALL.. thanks Rob… 

I met Dick and Joyce at my first Eastern Meet in 2021 as well. We hit it off right away. They lived about 2 hours from me (Joyce still does). Jared and I met there for Dick’s Celebration of Life after his passing. It was a car show/ cruise in that he had been involved with putting on for many years. Here’s a few pictures.

IMG_4988.jpeg

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

IMG_4989.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4982.jpeg

• Like 8

On 2/17/2024 at 5:21 PM, Searsman said:

This is a picture of a 1971 Monte Carlo sales brochure center fold, with an SS sporting a drivers side remote sport mirror..  

Then a pix of the drivers sport remote mirror and passenger non remote sport mirror on my 71.   When we were at the 2021 Eastern FGMCC Meet in Bristol, a fan was watching the drag races on satellite tv. The airplane camera zoomed in on the car show and all the Montes, the fan called a friend of his at the show, and asked where the heck did the rt side sport mirror on that white Monte come from?.. we were parked two cars down. I said, as far as I remember, I got it thru the Parts Place..

Anyways, we made friends with the couple 2 cars down, but unfortunately he passed away the next year. His name was Richard, went by name Dick, wife’s name was Joyce, but I don’t remember their last name.. great people. Car was copper color. True story.. 

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.f1b5c791b46cf6532659e76f8876d5ee.jpeg

IMG_2511.thumb.jpeg.40a96b5965419b13d72fdd4b00d65baa.jpeg

IMG_2512.thumb.jpeg.eab20316d86009f9c953d3b9cad9797c.jpeg

I have the same one here's the cover 

20240221_193608.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/21/2024 at 6:53 PM, sbarnette said:

I met Dick and Joyce at my first Eastern Meet in 2021 as well. We hit it off right away. They lived about 2 hours from me (Joyce still does). Jared and I met there for Dick’s Celebration of Life after his passing. It was a car show/ cruise in that he had been involved with putting on for many years. Here’s a few pictures.

IMG_4988.jpeg

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

IMG_4989.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4982.jpeg

Great pictures Sammy, thank you very much...Ron...

• Like 3

Nothing 🤣 Still covered and up on jack stands 🙃 Was a nice day, 40's in the am and hit the 60's so I did some work in the garage and enjoyed the sunset with an ice cold beverage 😁

NOTHING.jpeg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well it was in the 70's today and I almost pulled the car cover off and took it off the jack stands but . .......... I was a responsible adult and got the chain saws ready to walk the fence lines this weekend and cut up the trees and limbs that fell over the winter 🙃 Maybe next week 

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 8:23 PM, Dtret said:

I pulled these off Green today. Going to install new rear coils and a set of hoops. 

IMG_7125.jpeg

Gabriel hijackers made for sears. I have hijackers on mine too they are coming off as soon as I am able.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Well it was in the 70's today and I almost pulled the car cover off and took it off the jack stands but . .......... I was a responsible adult and got the chain saws ready to walk the fence lines this weekend and cut up the trees and limbs that fell over the winter 🙃 Maybe next week 

I picked up stuff in the yard and pulled old battery out of lawn mower ( need new one) that's about I could handle. I did say hello to the car as I got tools out of garage though. Still a lot of salt on the roads hopping for some rain to wash it away.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 8:23 PM, Dtret said:

I pulled these off Green today. Going to install new rear coils and a set of hoops. 

IMG_7125.jpeg

Should be working on a Gold colored car, not green! Unless the green one is going to Carlisle, then its ok!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, willie said:

Should be working on a Gold colored car, not green! Unless the green one is going to Carlisle, then its ok!!!!

It’s possible. If it does I’m ready. 

• Like 4