pointless debate, SB? BB? or LS?

mymontesa70

Everyone has been down this road at some point in their life. I have literally spent all year searching endless forums and watching you tube experts and still cant pull the trigger on a motor choice. 

I currently have a SB set up 350/350 with a 400 freshly rebuilt sitting in the corner. Ive got the go fast bug bad and its not going away. 

Are LS motors the only way to go now a days? Damn they have a lot to offer and they really do seem like the ultimate modern setup.

BUT....something about the appeal of a nicely dressed big block filling up that engine bay combined with unbeatable throttle stomping, foot through the floor, eyes to the sky torque and undeniable big block scream has kept me from getting that junk yard LS.

or maybe i should just stroke the SB that i already have and be done with it.

like i said, pointless debate, but im hoping for a push from somebody to help me decide. What id really like to hear is if you have ever been in this situation in your life, what you decided and why?

Hopefully i dont start any fights with this, i figure all that matters is we're keeping these ol montes on the road.

I'm a small block guy and I do like the sb 400 if it done right. stroakers can make a lot of hp too, I guess it depends on how fast you want to go and how much torque. Big blocks will make more but I guess it depends of how much you want to work on it or drive it and if your gonna race it a lot or just want a dependable turn the key and go. The more hp your going to make the more you'll have to work on it. Like you say the decussion can go on for ever. Good luck with your choice eather way have fun :)

I thought about that too Brandon but everytime I opened the hood to look..... the answer was always there......

:BB:

junk066.jpg

1970 chevelle SS

Darren

And then again in the Monte Carlo I get the smae answer....... GO FOR THE BIG BLOCK....!!!!!!

20150627_102935_resized_2_zpsic2ue7ca.jp

Darren

Everyone is different. Perhaps think about what you would want the car to be like 5, 10 or even 20 years from now.

Bruce

When I purchased my 72 I wanted a small block on most of my friends recommendations due to fuel mileage because I bought the car to be driven and it is driven a lot.

Hey Brandon...

Like many others here, I've gone both ways in three different Montes.    ...And while the 504 I'm running now is a hoot,  the 4 mpg really limits my cruise range without a carefully mapped out logistics plan.

Your small block 400 with Vortec heads and an RPM manifold, being controlled by a warm hydraulic roller will be the closest to matching the performance-to-mileage-to-weight paradigm offered by the LS platform.   I built up a 406 with this combination several years before the LS came on scene, and it was really a fun combo.

Have you gotten the hydroboost installed in your car yet? 

Before I had my current mill the engine builder and I kicked around the idea of an LS platform with forced induction. Like many, money was the big issue and I just couldn't pull the trigger.

There was a really nice 71 Monte that participated in Drag Week 13' with a twin turbo ls setup. Wanna say he was running mid 8's. Oh to dream!! :grin:

David

I think i better clarify the 400 in the corner of my garage is a TH400, sorry to be misleading there.

Dave- 4mpg! thats insane, 8mpg is the worst ive ever dealt with in a big block and that was miserable. I did pick up a hydro-boost out of an astro but havent gotten around to installing it yet. 

i drive my monte a lot and the 350 i have in there runs really well. i get around 16 mpg and i completley trust it go on long trips. That being said, when it comes to putting the pedal down there is really nothing there. Even with the basic upgrades of a mild cam, electronic ignition, intake and carb its still just meh. 

My problem with the LS platform is, while cool and the wave of the future, would involve a lot of work (motor,tranny,wiring,fuel management) not to mention they are not all that good looking of a motor. i figure around 4 grand all said and done and all that would be gained is better fuel economy and a pretty good weight drop off the nose. That being said the real potential with an ls swap is upgrades, so another 2 grand to boost it and now ive got a top end screamer with modern turn key, computer programming reliability. So 6 grand probably closer to 8 and ive got everything i want in a car. I do think the ls platform is more than just a fad motor, even mustang guys are swapping them in.

Now a big block to me is proper hot rodding. Terrible fuel milage, heavy old dinosaur of a motor. that being said i like being able to tune my car with a butter knife, i like when the whole car wants to twist and raise up and scream at you when you stomp it, it feels so much more connected to me. break downs are part of the game. 

Its funny reading what i just wrote it sounds like ive already made up my mind.

Its all relative i guess it just depends on what you want out of your car, list the pros vs cons and go from there. 

that and its good to remember for all the money and time making your car fast, all it takes is some kid on a factory sport bike to blow your doors off.

Truth be told i just sort of enjoy hearing peoples opinions on this debate.

At the end of the day, I guess it comes down to money and whatever puts a smile on your face while driving.

I'm in the same boat. I'm saving money for a new motor. I'm leaning towards stroking my factory 350 to 383 and adding a pro charger.

I had a 402 in my Monte originally (then blew it up at the track) so I will say I was not interested in putting a small block in its place. Although trying to save money I was briefly considering a GM crate small block...all said and done I went with a GM crate 502, the 572 was a bit too much $$$ at the time. I bought a brand new TH400 and a Gear Vendors overdive unit, then put it all in at once. Could not be happier with my choice.

21979060029_large.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I'm jumping on board the small block bandwagon... Parts are everywhere for them, and usually fairly inexpensive, you get better mileage, and if you put a decent set of heads, a good intake and a cam in there, you'll make pretty decent power out of it. Now if only I could keep the dang thing on the road for longer than 2 months out of a season :(

My '72 402cid as it sits gets 18.7 mpg. It is stock except for rockers, cam, headers, and intake. I had a '71 with a 350. Small blocks are great, but in a Monte with that HUGE engine bay they look tiny. I would also argue that the LS isnt the way of the future either. GM has already dropped them in favor of the new engines. The LS costs crazy money to buy aftermarket parts. Last i looked a decent intake was $900(its been a couple years). LSs also have no torque out of the hole, you have to wind them to make anything happen unless you add a turbo or supercharger(big $$$). If you want "take your foot off the brake and stomp on the gas till the tires scream" big block is the way to go. Even a mild, very driveable build will give you plenty of get up and go.

Lsx is easy to convert to carburetor, there head flow is unmatched by any other production heads out there, Thats why they make so much power, I have a 408 with LS3 heads and carb and I'm close to 600 hp with a tight lsa camshaft

I payed 400$ for new assembled LS3 heads, if you look up there flow numbers you'll be impressed. Also intake valve is 2.165

The BBC with iron heads averages 675-685.  The iron mouse motor weighs in at 575 to 590.   The aluminum manifold and heads weight drop them to 570-590 (BBC);  and 490-515 (SBC).      Doug