1970 Fuse Box

DragCat

9 hours ago, jft69z said:

Hey Mark,

This came out of my '72.

20200401_214457.jpg

Thanks Joe, I'll assume the 72 and 70 are the same lol. Weird its not in the service manuals I have

21 minutes ago, Andy's Auto said:

70 and 71 do not have the accessory fuse in the top left corner. That started in 72.

This is interesting.

As it's 30 amp, is the red main fuse box feed from the horn relay 10 gauge? For 70 & 71, it's marked as 12 gauge.

Would this replace the separate 10 gauge wire and circuit breaker on the firewall that was installed for power windows and seats (and convertible tops on Chevells)?

1 hour ago, Paul Bell said:

This is interesting.

As it's 30 amp, is the red main fuse box feed from the horn relay 10 gauge? For 70 & 71, it's marked as 12 gauge.

Would this replace the separate 10 gauge wire and circuit breaker on the firewall that was installed for power windows and seats (and convertible tops on Chevells)?

Not sure, but my 72 Stage 1 convertible not only has the 10 gauge wire from horn relay, it also has two pigtails running from behind the fuse box to power the top and the power seat. Power windows are the same old relay on the firewall powered by horn relay connection.

When a Chevy A-body was factory built with high power drawing accessories such as power seats, windows or convertible top, it received this additional 30 amp power feed with a circuit breaker and 10 gauge wire from the horn relay.

If the 1972 fuse box was updated to include a accessory 30 amp fuse it it, the separate wire and breaker under the hood wouldn't be needed-and this makes sense. But the main fuse box feed wire would need to be 10 gauge with a different fuseable link, not the 12 gauge the 1970 & 71 cars had.

Firewall breaker +.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! Does anyone know where i can find the fuse for the headlights in my 72 monte carlo? They dont work and i cant for the life of me find a fuse. There isnt one that i can see in the fusebox. Thanks!  Jeff

2 hours ago, Hnymoonswt said:

Hello! Does anyone know where i can find the fuse for the headlights in my 72 monte carlo? They dont work and i cant for the life of me find a fuse. There isnt one that i can see in the fusebox. Thanks!  Jeff

Jeff, if you look at Joe's post #3 it shows a 72 fuse box. The amp rating in listed for each position. You should be able to find replacement fuses at most auto parts stores, even possibly harbor freight has a kit of glass fuses. While your crouched under the dash test all and replace the ones that are bad 

Jeff,

First and foremost, I noticed this is your first post here on the boards.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club.

I could be wrong but it may be the 30 Amp fuse marked "Power  ACC"  Please keep in mind it may not be the fuse.  The light switches have been known to to go bad.  Is it only the headlights that are not working or do none of the parking lights work either?

rob

I'm pretty sure that the protection for the headlights is a thermal limiter (circuit breaker) in the headlight switch itself. No separate fuses or relays.

The headlights are powered from a 12 gauge red wire in the dash that also feeds the ignition switch.

This red wire is powered from a fuseable link fed from the horn relay.

The headlight switch has a circuit breaker in it.

The short instrument cluster lighting fuse is 4 amps.

• Like 4

What does LPS stand for? Could it be used for extra lighting? I’m looking at the male terminal on the left bottom of the fuse block.

8 hours ago, Searsman said:

Jeff, I had no headlights one night they went out.. had parking lights.. was the dimmer switch.. no brights or dim.. just a thought...

Same here. Mine was a loose connection at the dimmer switch.