A bit confused..........

Steve G

Hello,

i am not very familiar with the SS monte. But i do know the obvious... its got a 454. OK, now here is where i get confused, i read in your tech "how to tell an SS" and it says there are no SS 4speed production cars. Are you sure of this? I personally have seen several so called SS-4 speed Monte carlos, and even some of my collectors books mention a 4 speed as an option for the monte SS. The part thats driving me crazy is i know somewhere i saw actual production #s for the SS-4 speed. Am I going crazy? or did the book writers just assume that it had the same options as a Chevelle? In that case i see how it would be easy to pull off a fake 4 speed SS since most people would also assume it would be an option carried over from the Chevelle line.

What do you think?

Steve

This is one of those questions that people argue about to much. My personal opinion is this...

No proof of one has ever been found, but no proof exist that I know of that says there never was one. Same goes for the LS6/auto version, and LS6 4-speed version.

Lots of fast cars were wrecked and torn all to heck and crushed. If they was some of these rare gems made, they may be have done crushed years ago.

I've heard my fair share of the LS6 cars and 4-speed cars have been seen. The question still lingers, these stories ARE NOT made up, the ?? is was these cars legit or just made cars with the LS6 or 4-speed added to them? That question may last unanswered 4-ever....

I have talked to many people who SWEAR that they have seen a documented SS454 Monte with a 4-speed. According to all of our information from GM, none were made. Nobody here has ever seen any documentaion of a 4 speed SS454. It is just like the people who swear they know someone who has seen one of the production 1970 factory rag tops... again, no proof

Until we see absolute truth of a well documented convertible or 4 speed SS454 we will assume they don't exist. I also have seen some of the books you talk about and since it is in more than one book we assume they are stealing informaiton from each other.

Rob

I'd like to see the proof in the form of a build sheet or a VIN matching on the tranny. I have a Muscle Car Enthusiast magazine from May 2006 that shows a 71 4spd (M22 to boot) SS owned by Rick Treworgy of Punta Gorda FL. Maybe we should track him down. smile

try zabasearch.com and see what info is out there.

I found an old Navy buddy by remembering he was from Ohio

and located one of his relatives there using zaba.

I have heard of a '71 402/4 spd that had the SS trim on the back, but none of the SS badges

Sam,

That you may have heard from me. I know a guy here in Pittsburgh who owns the car. It has the black painted area below the trunk like the SS and it has the black rubber strip which runs across teh rear bumper. That car also has the air ride suspension, guages, special steering wheel and many other items.

Rob

What a coincidence - today a friend sent me a link to this fantastic GM car collection owned by Rick Treworgy.

Here's the link: http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoftware.com/buzzandjackie/collection.htm

I don't see the pics of the 4spd SS454 that was in the magazine, but I do remember reading the article.

Jim

WOW, Does this Rick guy have a job??? It must be a full time job just to take these cars out & drive them regularly as the article stated. Incredible to have that kind of money AND a storage facilty to house it all! Wonder what he pays yearly in insurance costs!

if you go to the picture of the two chevelle convertables (red & yellow) the black car (in front of the yellow chevelle) looks to be a monte, you can just catch a glimpse of the hood ornament, looks like a '71

IMGP1373.JPG