Monte Carlo SS clone..... for sale, maybe?

Hi Guys,

Just received a call from my body shop today. We have to push back the date of getting my bodywork started. His full time mechanic just gave his 2 weeks notice. They have 1 part time mechanic. They have 2 body guys, but 1 is out indefinitely due to blood poisoning from a dog bit on his finger. The owner is a guy I worked with for 10 years and I really trust them. I don't think they are blowing smoke up my a**. 

We just bought a house in Clearwater, Fl.  The house needs some work, so now we travel to Fl about twice a month. Plus I have projects here at my home in Pa that have to get done. Need to finish remodeling my basement, and get my 56 Pontiac back together so I can sell that.  Also, I need to go through all my parts and tools to figure out what I'm going to take to Fl, what I'm going to sell, and whats going to stay here. Our daughter will rent our house in Pa when were settled in Fl.

I think, with the time it's going to take to finish the Monte, plus everything else going on, that it would be easier to sell it to someone who can give her the time and the love it needs to be a great car again. I'm going to advertise it here first, at a (what I feel) very fair price. I know I will not get my money out of it, and that's ok. I'll start on a classified ad to list details about the car, plus all the parts I have for it. Thanks to everyone on here for all the help over the last 8 months I've owned this car.

John

Obviously I don’t know the entire situation but my 2 cents( probably not worth a penny). You love the car and you want the car. When things settle down, and they will, you will want another one. You know what you have now and what has been invested are you going to be able to replace it in a couple years or are you going to better off storing in somewhere. Too many people, I’m sure on this site also, regret selling their toy especially when they find out what the price is to replace it. I’m sure that you have thought of all the scenarios. Good luck with your decision. What is best for you is what works. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dennis. If it doesn't sell, then I'll just keep my storage unit and keep it there. My problem is that I'm not a body guy, and this one needs the attention of a body man. I realize a replacement will cost more down the road, but then I will be able to just get in and enjoy it. 

14 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

Thanks Dennis. If it doesn't sell, then I'll just keep my storage unit and keep it there. My problem is that I'm not a body guy, and this one needs the attention of a body man. I realize a replacement will cost more down the road, but then I will be able to just get in and enjoy it. 

Possibly. 

I'm sure there are, but then I just turn into a regular Joe customer. Tough to weed out the good shops from bad ones. At least the shop I wanted to use will do a great job, do it right, and treat me fair. It's just that he has problems getting techs. It's an industry wide problem. I quit being a tech in July, the automotive field needs a complete revamp.

14 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

I'm sure there are, but then I just turn into a regular Joe customer. Tough to weed out the good shops from bad ones. At least the shop I wanted to use will do a great job, do it right, and treat me fair. It's just that he has problems getting techs. It's an industry wide problem. I quit being a tech in July, the automotive field needs a complete revamp.

It’s not just the auto industry but I won’t get into my political views. Lol. The industry is definitely hurting. Mechanics are aging, the industry is changing and they are not going to adapt. The young generation is generally not going to get into a “dirty” job. I didn’t know any body folks but I got one. I’d give him an 8. You’re going to a new area that’s will be tough. No contacts at all. Possible to leave it in PA and let him get to it down the road?  

Sure, I could leave it in storage and come back and get it when he is ready. I just thought I could have a clearance sale and unload everything. Start fresh in Fl.  We shall see

My 2 cents…

As Dennis and Paul both lamented, you’ll probably be kicking yourself for dumping this one when you get the urge to get another one after you’re all settled in at the new place. 

I also like the idea of storing it (perhaps even at your buddies body shop)… have them work on it as their schedule permits, especially if you’re not in a big hurry to get it done. 

And you can always start a hunt for a reputable body shop down in Florida with the help of somebody in the First Gen Monte Carlo world in the event any unfinished bodywork can be completed down there.  Options are good to have… you just have to ensure you find and/or create those options to have at your disposal. 

“Sellers Remorse” is every bit as real as buyers remorse, but at the end of the day you have to do what you feel is right. It’s easy for everybody else not directly involved to armchair quarterback the issue. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Hey John ultimately you and only you can decide.   Like Dennis and John have stated and you already know, there are other options. You have to pick the best one for you. It seems you like most of us have your plate full of stuff/things to do/finish. I happen to agree with the storage if possible, or leaving her with your body shop while you settle in your new home.

When i started this never ending endeavor (and i say that with nothing but love for these cars) i knew it was going to be until the end of my time here. I am not a body guy to say the least, i wouldn't even state that i am a mechanic, i am not. I would consider myself a part changer. I have 9 Montes all in different states of disarray. I take the attitude (maybe i am wrong) that i will get to them someday. Most of them are in worst shape than yours. But they are mine and i choose not to get rid of them as i know i would feel terrible that i did.

I say your car/life your choice we stand behind you no matter what you choose. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys,

If there is no interest or it doesn't sell, I'll store it and get it done as time permits. I really wasn't looking for a long term project, I wanted to get in it and drive it now. But what I wanted and what I got are two different things.  I won't even get into the second project Monte I was looking at buying. A 1970 with the body work already done, but no drivetrain or paint. If anyone is interested, PM me. Maybe when we move to FL and get settled, I'll buy an old car that is already done, and still wrench on the Monte as time permits. I'm not tied down to just Monte Carlos, heck I like Fords, Mercurys, Buicks, and even some imports. This group is definitely filled with some very helpful people, and I would be sad if I didnt have a Monte to chat about with you guys.  

I don’t think it’s stipulated in club rules that you need to own a real Monte but it sure is helps the conversation. Lol. Just get a die cast for now. At least you’ll have something. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm in South Carolina and do Restoration. Unfortunately I'm backed up pretty far but when you are ready I might be.  Keep my contact info just in case 864 940 2146 

This would need to be scheduled  very soon as it feels like i am 8 months behind.

You can follow me on YouTube and see plenty of my projects. Jared1970Monte 

• Like 1

I'm pretty much going to echo what's already been said, tough decisions to be made for sure.

The plus of putting is storage is you know what you have, what's been done and so on.  A repurchase down the road may not give you the option of the cars history.

Timing, prices, and availability are against you. As Jared said, he's 8 months back and without my crystal ball I can't tell you how much a gallon of paint is going to cost then lol. But, also as Jared mentioned on one of his video's Legendary is like a year back for door panels (don't quote me on that) so it gives you time to get ahead of things your going to need eventually. Then you can be like some of us with rooms full of parts waiting to be installed 🤣

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

She is not for sale anymore. Dropped the Monte off at my body shop today. Going to start on a frame on restoration. The plan is to remove the glass, doors, front clip and repair any rust issues that are found. Basically is going to be a shell on a frame. Once I get it back, I'm going to install the interior, new seats, carpet, headliner, Dakota Digital (or similar) gauges, vintage air, serpentine belt set up, and Sniper fuel injection. Down the road it's going to get 4 speed automatic, aluminum heads and cam replacement, and a 3.73 limited slip rear. Plus some fun stuff like wheels and tires, Wilwood brakes, and a hidden sound system. This will be my wife's car when its done, then I get to build something for myself. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Glad you are keeping her! Soooo, when can I pick up the seats? Lololol

Since I'm going to fix the floor pans, and weld in the correct power bucket seat bracket, I'm going to keep the power bucket seat.

I'll have to start a new post and document the whole rebuild process, in between my home renovation here and the home renovations in Florida. Plus finishing the Pontiac so I can sell it before moving to Fl. It's going to be a busy spring/summer.

John

• Like 1