1970 Monte Carlo Hood Springs

The hinges can be removed one at a time and the hood can stay in place. I've done that while using a blanket and wooden blocks behind the hinge, and a prop rod at the front. 

Dan

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 6:14 AM, Whons said:

My hood springs won't hold the hood up. anyone know how to change these safely? I tried to take one off with vise grips on it and couldn't even stretch it out at all. Thanks Wayne20221105_133236.thumb.jpg.cb59205681183e329df11eb3365aa767.jpg

Hey! I just noticed that shed shaped hood scoop! :)

• Haha 1

IMG_20150412_104151.thumb.jpg.be5b97d69bb514744de73cba28813dfb.jpgWe went with the Eddie Motorsports full polished billet hinges, The hinges are fantastic. We preferred the solid construction of the Eddie Motorsports as opposed to the Ring brothers with the cutout circles. Make sure that you order the right size struts( based on the weight of your hood ) and with a little elbow grease they too will polish up quite well . 

• Like 3

Hopefully Jim Stead will post here. I remember he had a hinge failure a couple years ago, but don't remember what brand he was using.

That's right Joe. Had a bad experience with mine. But Eddie Motorsports sent me a new set. There is a small 1/4" bolt at the lower side of  lever that gave way and broke. I have not set those back up since I'm putting in my BBC. They told me if I had anymore issues with them to let them know. To me they are built very well, just didn't understand why it did what it did. The hood had been opened and closed countless times. I'm getting my old hinges redone just for back ups. If your on a tight budget ,these are not the way to go.$$$ is the deal. I used up all my recognitions from work to buy these, kind of a present for the Monte and me.

IMG_2085.thumb.jpeg.2cc633a63ca4de99cb02c90929bbcc77.jpegIMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.bb161ec0ba2e1754c287cb8c0538fdd1.jpeg

• Like 4

Today I tried putting springs inside the hood springs. Hood will stay up without the prop rod. although if doing any real work I'll still use it. Happy with the results. Attached 3 pictures with hood all the way up and closed to the point that it will still stay up.20230324_171303.thumb.jpg.70be845591ea9d95ec51020ddaee3c10.jpg20230324_171319.thumb.jpg.9d78937ac4558e64e485fce538de5409.jpg20230324_171554.thumb.jpg.e753ed4e941ad08038b04aa3619cc315.jpg

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

As mentioned on a thread about hood spring part numbers, after a few close calls of almost getting my hands chopped off by a falling hood, I ordered Original Equipment Reproduction (OER) part #3848272 ($17 ea) from Summit to replace my tired 52 year old OEM springs.   Total cost with shipping and tax $48.01.  The new part looks identical to the original.  Installed tonight and big difference.  Hood now stays up even when lowered a few degrees from max angle as shown by others' pics on this thread.  

After considering the many methods out there to replace, I opted for the washer method although for the new springs, I used some plastic spacers I had on hand out of concern of scratching the springs.  For easy on and off removal, I found that the spring had to be stretched about 2" from its fully contracted position.

To remove the existing springs I let the hood down to stretch the spring while leaving just enough space to stick my arm under the hood to stuff washers in between the coils until the spring was removable without using force when the hood was fully open.  I used a broom handle as support to hold the hood fully opened during the removal and installation process.

To install the new springs, I  used a floor jack (see pic).  I hooked one end of the spring under the pin located below the pad and the other around a crow bar I placed under a set of 4"x4" pieces of wood which rested on a 2"x4".  The 4"x4" created the additional jack travel needed to get the right amount of spring stretch, while the 2"x4" made it easier to hook onto the crow bar.  I also used the jack to remove the washers from the old springs after removal from the car.  Once stretched, I inserted 1/16" plastic spacers (see pics) between each coil then lowered the jack.  The spacers kept the spring partially elongated.  I unhooked the spring from the jack, installed it in the car, put a bag under the hinge, lowered the hood and the spacers fell in the bag.  This worked flawlessly for the first spring, but for the second I found I had to add a few larger spacers and then coax some of them out with the hood down low enough to still get reach under the hood.  The larger spacers had ridges and that seemed to prevent them from slipping out easily.  Using smooth ones like the smaller ones likely would have made this easier.  

I did not invent the above method but chose it to avoid scratching, prying and because I found other methods did not seem feasible based on the work space, and equipment I had on hand.  Hopefully someone finds this useful. 

IMG_5295[1].JPG

IMG_5296[1].JPG

IMG_5297[1].JPG

IMG_5298[1].JPG

IMG_5299[1].JPG

IMG_5300[1].JPG

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

PS I believe these springs are still available from Chevrolet

Not anymore. I tried getting a set last year, they're discontinued. Some dealers had a few in stock here & there, but that's it. 

Good to know that the OER ones seem to work the same as the GM springs.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Thanks Joe, I will have to run the number on the gm locator and see if I can buy a few sets.

Good luck, our resident hoarder already did that last year, lol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Thanks Joe, I will have to run the number on the gm locator and see if I can buy a few sets.

There ain’t none left. I got em all. lol. For sale soon when only gm will do. I have a mortgage to consider, so will be priced accordingly. lol 😂. Actually there are probably a few stragglers out there. I only bought in bulk. Let’s talk about hoarding JT. When I found them you wanted two sets. You only have one car and they are new. By the way you get two sets. 😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got my new hinges and springs from our great friend Leo Konnik up inSt Claire MI.  In fact he was going to INDY for a big show and dropped a load of parts off on his way thru. I only live 3 1/2 miles from exit 226 on I 69

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

There ain’t none left. I got em all. lol. For sale soon when only gm will do. I have a mortgage to consider, so will be priced accordingly. lol 😂. Actually there are probably a few stragglers out there. I only bought in bulk. Let’s talk about hoarding JT. When I found them you wanted two sets. You only have one car and they are new. By the way you get two sets. 😝

Good for you Dennis. I did run the number and there are dealers that still have inventory. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Good for you Dennis. I did run the number and there are dealers that still have inventory. 

They may have got more in. It’s been awhile and I haven’t looked as I don’t need any. My guy at the gm dealer that would really search for parts quit so I lost my good helper. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, willie said:

Paul i hope you ordered them as Dennis is probably already in his car in route to get them!!

Nope. lol. 😂