Spring maintenance, not Monte related.

MC1of80

Hey everyone! Well in a way it is Monte related ... Trailers. 

For those that have them know, ALOT of times maintenance only happens when an issue shows it's ugly head. 

Back in 2018 when my brother and I were towing back "Barn Find" our trailer broke both u bolts on the rear axle on the driver's side a bridge away from home. Luckily we were able to "strap" the axle somewhat in place and limped home. 

At that time we assessed the rest of the suspension and deemed it well worn. We replaced the leaf springs, main mounts, backing plates, brakes, and drums. Reassembled and haven't looked back. 

Well that brings me for the reason for this post. I know, about time. Lolol. While assessing our old, worn trusty, tried and true trailer to get ready for a Carlisle trip, we found the tires, even though enough tread to be cracked like the grand canyon! Soooo, purchased 4 tires, had them mounted and balanced. So far, so good. Looked at the trailer without the wheels and said, hmmm I wonder how the brakes are... Removed a drum and found the bearings to have barely any grease left and the inner seals leaking. Ok, found 4 new seals and waited a week for delivery.

Well, they were delivered yesterday. Today was repacking bearings, greasing all the suspension and putting everything back together. 

While waiting for the seals Kevin decided to clean the wheels, both sides, clean all the lugs and locks, somehow restore the rusted center caps including repainting the centers. 

So here are a few pics and yes, I had barely enough room on one side to do the work. Lolol. Plus, the locks are opposite the valves and for now, the center caps are readable and level.  Lololol

PXL_20230406_161737607.jpg

PXL_20230406_161756804.jpg

PXL_20230406_161721978.jpg

PXL_20230406_172016278.jpg

• Like 7

I put new tires on my camper last summer,  they were 5 years old and only 8 ply and showing signs of wear so I replaced with 10 ply tires. I repack the bearings every year before we start towing for summer. i had to replace my power toung jack last summer too. Maintenance never ends.

• Like 5

Two years ago heading to the Mini Meet in Carlisle I got a flat tire on my enclosed trailer ( had no spare). I had checked them before I left and could not find any cracks in them, they were 12 years old. I checked the tires again and now 2 of 3 remaining ones had cracks all over them...never seen that happen before.

Luckily I called PA's turnpike assistance and they got me back on the road in just over an hour (which was unbelievable).

Well of course on the ride home got another flat, again PA turnpikes assistance helped me out...they had only one tire left in my size or else I would have gotten the other 2 done too. No tire places around so I continued home and never drove over 55 mph.

Learned my lesson and replaced the other two tires along with buying a spare.

For the record these tires were always covered when trailer was stored and had the date code on them showing they were in fact only 12 years old (which I know is getting old). Again don't trust on how tires appear...these tires looked like they aged 10 years in 4 hours, lol.

• Like 6

On our car hauler, we would replace our tires every 2 years and always carry 3 matching spares on matching custom wheels. 

Have had as many as 2 blowouts on 1 trip, never an issue, snap on rechargeable impact and a drive on ramp block.  3 to 4 minutes tops . 

• Like 6

Yes, trailer maintainance is critical item to be done for a safe trip with your Monte aboard. I replace my tires every 4 -5 years (even if they look like new) and carry 2 spares, 1 per axel. I do my brake and bearing maintainance or replacement, check all electrical connections, lights, lubricate all locks and hinges, charge and check or replace batteries as needed break away device and cable, and give it a good cleaning and repaint as needed. It’s a full steel open deck trailer. I always add grease to the bearings with a grease gun on each trip. I have never had bearing issues or failure. I have also added a wireless tire temperature and air pressure monitor system to each wheel. A cheap way to detect rising tire temperature and high or low tire air pressures. A small monitor and screen can observed and parameters set up from your tow vehicle. It has a built in solar panel or rechargeable batteries to power it up. It’s normally under $89 dollars on Amazon. I think I paid about $30-35 dollars on Prime Day. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom. I started by looking at the tire size for replacing. Well here’s that snowball we all keep talking about. Jacked it up to check bearings and brakes and all heck breaks loose. And all 4 outer axle ubolts had to come off to replace the backing plates. And all 4 broke. So this will put a damper on things. 4 tires, 4 12 in brake kits, 4 drums, all bearings and seals and 8 ubolts. I will probably have to rewire the trailer after this too. Lol. Yes it’s raining  

FEB39F27-BF05-41BA-BB8D-E685C18D92F8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

After all the stories trailer maintenance went to #2 on my to do list. I serviced the wheel bearing last year and only trailered the Monte once 🙃

#1 Is dusting off the Monte and going for at least a small spin, I'm already behind on my schedule (life/work/weather) The trailer may go to #1 if the weather still sux when I get back. 

I'm not complaining, well maybe just a little whining 🤣Being in So Fl all these years I'm not used to an off season driving the classics 

• Like 1

Hey Dennis that stinks, but always could be worse....   It could be snowing and cold, or even worse Joe and friends could be there with there banana suits!!!

Get her done we are getting close to June!!!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Dennis that stinks, but always could be worse....   It could be snowing and cold, or even worse Joe and friends could be there with there banana suits!!!

Get her done we are getting close to June!!!

You’re right Willie, I could be on the side of the road. Lol. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Didja notice PONTIAC on the trailer itself? Lol. 

O I get it. I seen that before, from the old racing days, I honestly have hauled a bunch of cars on my trailer and I don’t think I’ve ever hauled a ford. That’s why I joke. That Maverick is pretty cool. Almost resembles the new ones ( ugh). Lol. 

• Like 2

All i know is i can't keep up with Tom and Kevin. Every time i see them they have another brand of racecar!!!   Love it!!  Keeps me on my toes...   LOL

• Like 3

The lil maverick is not ours. It is a good friends. He is a Ford guy. Lol.  It will be a race car once he installs the engine. 

We temporarily have the maverick while the pro street 70 Monte is at his shop getting the rollbar repaired. Previous owner cut the down bars out rather crudely.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

Whats everyone running for trailer tires, I was reading on another forum lots of 👍 for goodyear endurance .........I need to put some new tires on mine 

I purchased all 4 tires from Amazon. They are 10ply. A bit overkill but priced right. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

I purchased all 4 tires from Amazon. They are 10ply. A bit overkill but priced right. 

I got 10 ply now, believe the goodyears are also 10. Running Westlake brand, just wondering what everyones experience/opinions are 

I’m actually in the middle of this now. There’s a ton of no name brands out there but any name I recognize is 200 or so here. I priced rim/ tire combo locally ( where I got my last set) 165. No name but he uses them on his trailers. He likes them. I was in northern Indiana today and a trailer shop wanted 225 for the same thing. 

• Like 2

We put Carlisle tires on the trailer I use. They replaced the exact same tire that was on it.

• Thank You! 1

10 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I’m actually in the middle of this now. There’s a ton of no name brands out there but any name I recognize is 200 or so here. I priced rim/ tire combo locally ( where I got my last set) 165. No name but he uses them on his trailers. He likes them. I was in northern Indiana today and a trailer shop wanted 225 for the same thing. 

I'm in between the goodyear and Carlisle brand at the moment. GY are $184 and Carlisle $112 each. Gotta go to the local tire store next week and see what's what. Those are Summit prices, as I was telling Joe when I bought my drag radials from summit I couldn't get any local (FL) tire stores to mount tires I didn't buy from them. Finally traveled a bit south and found a shop to mount them but there was a "surcharge" (my words not theirs) for mounting the tires. 🙃

These are the no name tires I purchased. Wether you choose a no name or a name brand they all dry rot too quick compared to years ago. I only towed once with these tires, dropped off the Monte and picked up the maverick, well twice I guess lolol. I went on the highway, semi smoothe streets and a chunk that was torn up for repaving and the tires performed well. 

Screenshot_20230428-181640.png