Spark Plug Heat Shields for ‘70 Big Block

Glen

Looking for confirmation either way whether the ‘70 SS’s / Big Blocks came with the plug heat shields. My ‘71 DOES have them, ‘70 currently does NOT.  

Joe was kind enough to hit pause on his Columbus Day festivities to check his library, but literature he found showed just the small blocks having them.  

Dennis chimed in, but his contribution to my question devolved into name calling, belittling and the typical bullying for which he’s famous. I truly believe he finds great pleasure in non-answers and non-sensical blather at my expense.  Must be residual effects from various head injuries he’s sustained. 

But I digress… heat shields as OE on ‘70 big blocks. Yes or no?

• Haha 4
  • Kook 1

21 minutes ago, Glen said:

Joe was kind enough to hit pause on his Columbus Day festivities to check his library, but literature he found showed just the small blocks having them.  

Online searches showed them for 60's to mid 70's big blocks and Corvettes too, but nothing Monte showed up. Also shows to maybe a valid GM number too, but that remains to be seen until a call to the GM dealer.

Anyone have a bone stock 70 SS454 with those heat shields?

s-l140.jpg

• Thank You! 1

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

Wow, what?  There’s truth in every aspect of my post. 

Kinda. 

Kinda...is right. You were doing most of the name calling,  😄

• Haha 1

Dennis was right, should have quit helping you at that point.

BUT, that just goes to show, we'll help 'anyone' around here...because that's what we do here at the FGMCC!

• Thank You! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I am going to jump in the pot and say No the 70s did not have them. I can check my 71 SS tomm and see if they are there?  I also will check the 70 chevelle motor i have to see if they are there?    

Now Glen stop picking on your brother Dennis!!!!  lol  (all i can say is that 3 way group text must of been burning up that phone today!!)  Call the Fire Dept!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, willie said:

I am going to jump in the pot and say No the 70s did not have them. I can check my 71 SS tomm and see if they are there?  I also will check the 70 chevelle motor i have to see if they are there?    

Now Glen stop picking on your brother Dennis!!!!  lol  (all i can say is that 3 way group text must of been burning up that phone today!!)  Call the Fire Dept!!!

Willie,

1 - thank you and I look forward to what you find and report back with

2 - I make no promises 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

when i bought my 72 454 custom from the original owner ,it has the round style spark plug heat shields the pictured one looks like a funnel are not the same ones that are on my car now,but id have a set of the funnel kind,roger

• Thank You! 1

The parts catalog does show a shield for all 72-75 402, 454. but only shields for small blocks prior to 72

71-72 All ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 400 w/4BC,
454) ....................................... 357039 A.R. SHIELD, L.H. and R.H........................................
64-68 Chevy ( 8 cyl.),
65-69 Pass. ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 396, 409,
427, 4 5 4 ) ................................... 3917663 A.R. . 8 8 SHIELD, left rear and right front . . . . . . . . .
64-68 Chevy ( 8 cyl.),
65-67 Pass. ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 396, 409,
427),
6 8 Pass. (exc. 427),
69 Pass. ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 396, 427),
70 Pass. ( 8 c y l.)................................. 3917664 A.R. .79 SHIELD, right rear and left front ..................
65 Pass. w/Sp. H/Per. (396),
6 6 Chevelle (396),
66-67 Pass. (396, 4 2 7 ) ........................... 3871266 8 1 . 2 0 SHIELD .............................................................
6 8 Chevy,
6 8 Chevy,
68-70 Pass. ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 396, 427,
454) ............................................ SHIELD, left frt...................................................
70 Pass. w/A.T. ( 8 cyl.) .................... 3919807 1 .79 rear rig h t...........................................................
72-75 All (402, 4 5 4 ) ............................ .. 336716 8 .36 SHIELD, spark plug heat ...............................
73-75 All ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 454) . ................ 330517 L.H. .47 SHIELD, left .....................................................
73-75 All ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 454) .................. 357039 R.H. SHIELD, right ..................................................
73-75 All ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 454) .................. 330518 R.H. .62 SHIELD .............................................................
73-75 All ( 8 cyl.) (exc. 454) .................. 330519 L.H. .62 SHIELD .............................................................
75 Monza (2 6 2 ) ................................. 357047 1 1.80 SHIELD, splg. heat ..........................................
64-66 Chevy (283, 327),
64 Chevelle (327),

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

“The parts catalog does show a shield for all 72-75 402, 454. but only shields for small blocks prior to 72”

Thanks, Paul **.  I’ll assume the ones on my ‘71 were added by Bob or someone else at some point.

So in the interest of keeping the ‘70 original when the time comes, I will refrain from purchasing them and adding them to the pile of OE parts I’ve been accumulating. 

**  See, Dennis. Paul answered my question without resorting to telling me “you were such an ugly baby that your Mom tried to return you”, “Mongo couldn’t find drugs in a medicine cabinet” etc, etc. You could probably learn a lot from a guy like Paul. 

• Haha 3

Wow again. I guess I will have to screen shot the group text to show everyone that not a single word of what you are spewing is remotely true. Other than the fact that I did not know the answer and I suggested you post the question on the site. Let me get screenshots started. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Glen i checked both the 71 and the 70 chevelle motor i have. Both do not have any. The 71 has headers so someone was in there fooling around. The 70 still has GM ext manifolds so not sure if anyone was in there fooling around. But still the same, no shields on either.  

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

Wow again. I guess I will have to screen shot the group text to show everyone that not a single word of what you are spewing is remotely true. Other than the fact that I did not know the answer and I suggested you post the question on the site. Let me get screenshots started. 

Around here I wouldn't even believe screenshots, the way "some" people photoshop ....🤣 And I stand innocent until proven otherwise 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Glen, it would be interesting to see if the one on your car have casting or part numbers. 

When I have the time I’ll take a closer look and get the camera zoomed in on them.

There is a GM Part #465840 as supplied by Joe (Dennis supplied the insults and belittling quips).  Whether this number appears on the shields is yet to be seen. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DragCat said:

Around here I wouldn't even believe screenshots, the way "some" people photoshop ....🤣 And I stand innocent until proven otherwise 😁

I’m with you, dude.  Anyone can photoshop a conversation. Or, if you’re feeling extra motivated, enlist the help of a buddy to text a totally scripted conversation … AFTER you change their name to that of the person you’d like to have some fun with.  Just remember to change the contact info back when you’re done, otherwise you might wind up texting things to “Joe” when you think you’re texting “Dennis”.  Confusing?  Perhaps a tad, but well worth the entertainment…

Not that I’ve ever done something so devious 😉

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Not that I’ve ever done something so devious 😉

Back in the day when I worked for the phone company, we "manipulated" software for caller id and a couple of other little dittys. Ive had my hand slapped a few times 🤣

• Haha 1