70 monte

Welcome Shawn!

On a 70, the VIN wasn't very specific as in later years.

If you can find a build sheet for the car, that's your most accurate way to see how the car started out. Next, I think your best bet may be to first see if the engine & transmission numbers match the VIN, which will tell you if they're original to the car. Also, the 3 letter code on the engine boss will tell you a lot about the engine/trans combination. If you can get pictures of those numbers, we can help to see what you have.

Our 'resources' tab above has a lot of info under the 'Technical Info' section that will help you decode a lot of things.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/resourcespage/

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingengine/

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingtransmission/

Oh, we like pictures here too, so if you get the chance, post some of your car.

• Like 1

Welcome Shawn! Pics?!? Lol. Also, to what Joe said, if you are lucky the vin should be stamped into the transmission case. 

Also, you can look, but no Flint car has been found to have the build sheet anywhere. 😢

Welcome to the club Shawn!!!!!   As Steve said, many people here with plenty of knowledge and willing to help any way they can.

• Like 1

Welcome Shawn. And a big “ I understand “ to the Flint dilemma. My 70 SS is a Flint built car but luckily I have the vin stamp on both the engine and transmission or that pos would be a washing machine by now. I hope you can find all the numbers on the drivetrain and verify it to be true. Best of luck and keep us posted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome! As mentioned above you can prove the factory 4-speed by the numbers stamped on the engine or the transmission.

• Like 2

I'm just curious.....

When I first became interested in Montes.... Back in the late '70's..... I was led to believe that there were only 2 1970 Monte SS's that left the assembly line with manual transmissions. Were the rest dealer installs or am I just mis informed ?

23 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

I'm just curious.....

When I first became interested in Montes.... Back in the late '70's..... I was led to believe that there were only 2 1970 Monte SS's that left the assembly line with manual transmissions. Were the rest dealer installs or am I just mis informed ?

There's a lot of people that like to tell stories. The 4-speed simply was not available with the SS454 package. If there was one I think a documented one would have surfaced by now. Every time one of those stories comes up there is either proven wrong or they simply do not have proof.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

There's a lot of people that like to tell stories. The 4-speed simply was not available with the SS454 package. If there was one I think a documented one would have surfaced by now. Every time one of those stories comes up there is either proven wrong or they simply do not have proof.

I agree 💯%

• Like 2

On 12/31/2023 at 5:19 PM, shawns said:

I just bought a 70 triple black 402 4 speed, but how do I know for sure it's true 4 speed car coming from flint 4th month of 1970?

Shaun, I think you would look better in a camaro and should sell the Monte to me.  I have heated garages to keep her safe and warm.  Jeff in nj

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scott S. said:

I'm just curious.....

Yes, you were misinformed, there were not even 2 factory manual transmissions.  There were none and if anyone tells you they have proof of any give them our club website address and ask them to please send us solid, documented proof because after buying a Monte NEW in 1970 and having been in this club over 23 years I have never seen one or seen documented proof of one.

rob

• Like 2

Welcome to the club and Happy New Year! Where does a guy find a 4 speed. I would like to find one myself. Enjoy the new Monte and post some pictures.

If I remember right, the article was in a Car Craft magazine, or one of those type..... Anyone remember those ??

I remember seeing my first 1970 SS in '84. Sitting at the lights, Black/Black, burpy idle, and the driver looked old enough to have probably purchased an original Model T. ;)

44 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

I remember seeing my first 1970 SS in '84. Sitting at the lights, Black/Black, burpy idle, and the driver looked old enough to have probably purchased an original Model T. ;)

Well, it was advertised as a Gentleman's Sports Coupe.  Maybe he was that targeted age when he bought it.  I am sure the 70 I purchased new from the dealer was more targeted for someone my dad (54 years old) rather than me (I had just turned 20).  My dad loved it and said if I didn't buy it he was going to.  He was a Caprice man but felt the Monte Carlo was just as nice as his caprice.

rob

• Like 3

Welcome Shawn !! Post some photos of your Monte and if you have any questions, please ask away. A great group of members always looking to answer questions and help out another Club member. To have come to the right place. Enjoy the Club !!!

• Like 1