Classic Car insurance recommendations

SPLATT71MC

Currently I have my Monte, as well as all my vehicles, insured with Allstate under a standard policy. I've been dragging my feet about switching to a more appropriate policy but after dealing with them on my wife's daily I really don't want them to have anything to do with the Monte or any of my other vehicles either. What do you guys have and what's your satisfaction with them?

I've been with JC Taylor for 59 years for my 29 Model A Ford and added my Monte when it joined the family,  very satisfied with them.

rob

I put my Monte on Nationwide Insurance back in 1983. Car was not a classic at that point. When I was able to I finally had it changed to a "stated value".

That went on for many years, my agent eventually died and a new agent took over. I have many vehicles insured and did not catch it but at one point my Monte changed over to "Blue Book" value. No on at Nationwide could explain why.

Luckily no accidents have happened.

Anyways I switched my Monte and my Corvette to American Modern classic car insurance. I went with a stated value again (and will monitor regularly). I can't really give an opinion on them because I have not had to put a claim in...which is good.

• Like 1

I use State Farm for my daily drivers. I have and use Hagarty for my Monte SS. It is a premium company and rates are priced competitively or slightly higher compared to the other classic vehicle insurers. They do offer additional services that other insurers do not, such as flatbed towing, lockout and fuel service for your vehicle if you want those services. But here is where it counts. When you have a claim how does your insurance company deal with it? Do they have specialty or restoration shops that they can recommend in your area? I had a rep from Hagarty and an independent appraiser come look at my Monte when I had a claim. They were at the shop in under 48 hours of making the claim, on time for the appointment, appraised and approved the claim on the spot and cut me a substantial check to get my claim started. Fast and thorough customer service is where it’s at, and what I absolutely received from Hagarty. Look at other forums regarding classic vehicle insurance. Read about the nightmares others have had trying to get claims settled lasting months, or companies holding up payment. Nobody wants to make a claim, but how is your insurance company going to treat you when something happens? Are you going to get the service your paying for? See what others have to say about them. If your strictly going by price, this is probably not the company for you. Just be wise and aware before you make your choice of companies. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

I've been with JC Taylor for 59 years for my 29 Model A Ford and added my Monte when it joined the family,  very satisfied with them.

rob

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

In all those years I have only had one clame from a hit and run who left a note because people saw it happen.... the note said "I hit your car, I'm sorry" and didn't leave a name or number, tucked t under my wiper and left.  JC Taylor laughed about the note and paid for a new rear bumper and paid me labor to install it.

rob

• Like 3

I’ve had State Farm for home and vehicles for over 45 years with 0 complaints. Prior to 2004 I had Hagerty on my Camaro only. When we sold our house to purchase property to build, I had to store the Camaro in a friends garage. I put a non op status with the DMV so I only wanted fire, theft and comp insurance. Hagerty wouldn’t insure me because the car wasn’t stored at my residence. I understand their reasoning behind it. I ended up using State Farm with an agreed value. When I finally brought it back after my house and shop were completed I continued with the State Farm classic insurance, of which I now have the Monte on also, both having an agreed value. I’ve noticed that they have partnered with Hagerty now with a coverage called Classic +, but is only available in certain states. Not mine. As for roadside and flatbed towing i have a separate policy with AAA which covers my wife and I for anything we may be driving.

5 hours ago, Montemedic said:

I use State Farm for my daily drivers. I have and use Hagarty for my Monte SS. It is a premium company and rates are priced competitively or slightly higher compared to the other classic vehicle insurers. They do offer additional services that other insurers do not, such as flatbed towing, lockout and fuel service for your vehicle if you want those services. But here is where it counts. When you have a claim how does your insurance company deal with it? Do they have specialty or restoration shops that they can recommend in your area? I had a rep from Hagarty and an independent appraiser come look at my Monte when I had a claim. They were at the shop in under 48 hours of making the claim, on time for the appointment, appraised and approved the claim on the spot and cut me a substantial check to get my claim started. Fast and thorough customer service is where it’s at, and what I absolutely received from Hagarty. Look at other forums regarding classic vehicle insurance. Read about the nightmares others have had trying to get claims settled lasting months, or companies holding up payment. Nobody wants to make a claim, but how is your insurance company going to treat you when something happens? Are you going to get the service your paying for? See what others have to say about them. If your strictly going by price, this is probably not the company for you. Just be wise and aware before you make your choice of companies. Just my 2 cents. 

I definitely am looking for quality service. Right now the car is with my regular Allstate policy and with the extremely poor service I'm getting right now with them taking care of a claim on my wife's 2015 Camaro, I sure as hell don't want to deal with them taking care of any claim on the Monte.

• Like 1

(LONG STORY, sorry) Sidebar on car insurance: My wife's 73 Cougar was getting older and we just got married so I was trying to save some money. I pulled everything off of her Cougar and my Monte, that was not required by law. Not that long after I did this, she was sideswiped so we had to pay for the repairs. I saved a few $$ on the repair by not replacing the "pin stripe" (it was a triple!) where the 1/4 panel was repaired. Time went by, it's the 27th Sept 1979, we now have a new 78 T-Bird, the monte was stored in a garage. We just bought a home and our first child was on the way when someone stole the Cougar from my wife's work parking lot!!!!!!!!!! We never found it. I did just ask about it on "LOST MUSCLE CARS" BUT NO LUCK. I did get to take a loss, when we filed our income tax that year.

I will never remove any part of any car insurance ever again!!!

73 Cougar_1.jpg

• Thank You! 1

I use Grundy and extremely happy with them. Had to have the car towed 18 months ago call my agent and sent him a copy of the receipt and 10 days later I received my check for the tow and $198 a year for $25 K value which OI need to increase.

• Like 1

IMG_2497.thumb.jpeg.2fb4d77a9278835e4d4de6d1e497e429.jpegBeen with State Farm since the 70s. All vehicles, house, daughter life insurance, one antique car insured and one they insured as a classic at a cheaper rate. One word of advice, don’t file a claim on an insurance company app. Talk with your agent.. 

also, insurance rates have increased 38% since  2001.. with New York State, Florida, and California being some of the highest.. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...