My battery is dead, I charged it and it started then several weeks later it is dead again.

I have a SEARS DIEHARD GOLD GP 78 that is almost 8 years old, but there aren't any SEARS stores in my area.

Suggestions?

I don't want to spend a ton to have an original DELCO battery. Black is nice, not red or yellow.......

Suggestions???

NAPA has good batteries, but I've had the best luck and longevity with Delco batteries.

The one I got is a Walmart battery.  I know I'm jinxing myself here but it's 12 years old and still starts car no problem.  I always have a battery tender on it over the winter months. I got the biggest one that would fit in the battery box, I think it's 875 cca.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jft69z said:

NAPA has good batteries, but I've had the best luck and longevity with Delco batteries.

I’ve had good luck with the Delcos also. They also seem to stay cleaner than a lot them. The other thing to consider is a battery disconnect and a trickle charger. I’ve definitely gotten more life out of mine by using them. Although 8 years is pretty darn good.

• Like 1

Just installed a DIHARD from ADVANCE Auto Parts cost, including TAX, was $201.65.

3 Year warranty

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm trying the Interstate version.... Green car, green battery. lol

I pull the battery for the winter months and charge it every now and then. It's down in the basement in a nice, warm spot. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stangeba said:

Just installed a DIHARD from ADVANCE Auto Parts cost, including TAX, was $201.65.

3 Year warranty

Thanks!

FYI. Advance version of Die Hard and Sears version are not the same. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stangeba said:

3 Year warranty

Thanks!

That is what I just put in my 2013 pickup when the original battery crapped out in January. I got one of the new fangled gel batteries and it really cranks that ole 5.3 like a timex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott S. said:

I'm trying the Interstate version.... Green car, green battery. lol

I pull the battery for the winter months and charge it every now and then. It's down in the basement in a nice, warm spot. :)

Ive used Interstate on all my "cars" good luck so far. 🤞 My local BJ's warehouse also sticks interstate if you can find the right model "in stock" One thing I do since none of my cars are daily drivers I disconnect one lead when I pull into the garage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ive used Interstate on all my "cars" good luck so far. 🤞 My local BJ's warehouse also sticks interstate if you can find the right model "in stock" One thing I do since none of my cars are daily drivers I disconnect one lead when I pull into the garage. 

Phooey 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It may be bologna Willie. I have Delco’s in all my vehicles. But since the distributor of three states has the truck parked in my driveway, I’m kinda biased. Or more commonly termed, “ I got a guy”. lol. 😂 

IMG_4669.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, Dtret said:

It may be bologna Willie. I have Delco’s in all my vehicles. But since the distributor of three states has the truck parked in my driveway, I’m kinda biased. Or more commonly termed, “ I got a guy”. lol. 😂 

IMG_4669.jpeg

Dennis i have used that term, "I got a guy"   lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

FYI battery talk

East Penn is the biggest battery company in the US. The brand they sell is Deka. That being said they make and label batteries for Napa, Oriellys, Federated, Tractor supply, Rural King, Car Quest and a bunch more. Johnson Control still builds for Autozone, Delco, Interstate and others. Korea is now a major supplier for batteries. Allegedly made to spec of the company they are building the for. A recent trend is a lot of companies are now producing batteries in Korea and shipping them here. Yes this includes all the big names we have come to know over the years. Look for integrated handles , that’s a good indicator of Korean manufacturing. My opinion is that the quality is not as good so they don’t last as long. A normal battery life is between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 years. Not very long for what they cost now days. And yes some are made in Mexico but the results are the same. For those of you that have newer cars that require AGM ( advanced glass mat) batteries be prepared to plop down 300 plus. Battery chargers must be AGM compatible to charge and the charge and discharge rates are different so DO NOT change from the AGM to a lead acid battery you could have major electrical issues. 
Just a little FYI. 

• Like 5
  • Thank You! 4

Thanks for the info! My battery was made in Mexico.

Prefer the Delco , had good luck with the Walmart tho. 2 cars, one truck, the Monte, 2 Harley’s, 4 wheeler, zero turn mower two diesel tractors , 10 batteries  to keep track of. Have quick disconnect on Monte.. battery tenders on bikes ect.. I go for longevity, those two brands have done the best, so far… Ron… 

• Like 5

The top of the line battery, no matter where you buy it are generally not the Korean ones. But regardless the top of line are made to the specs of the company selling them. The top of the line in one store may not be equivalent to the top of the line in another store. Just information here. Im not knocking personal choices. 

• Like 3

I’ve had good luck with NAPA and O’Reilly. Each battery lasted a little over five years. I’m not too concerned about the color because with the hood down and sitting in the driver seat, you can’t see it anyway.
John S

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, John S said:

I’ve had good luck with NAPA and O’Reilly. Each battery lasted a little over five years. I’m not too concerned about the color because with the hood down and sitting in the driver seat, you can’t see it anyway.
John S

It ain't easy being green..... lol

Is $200.00 usd the going rate for a good battery these days ???

I paid $120.00 cdn for an Interstate last fall, and that was the second highest they carried. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott S. said:

It ain't easy being green..... lol

Is $200.00 usd the going rate for a good battery these days ???

I paid $120.00 cdn for an Interstate last fall, and that was the second highest they carried. 

Generally for something decent the sad answer is yes. Walk in the parts stores and just take a look. Thanks Joe ( Biden). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dtret said:

FYI battery talk

East Penn is the biggest battery company in the US. The brand they sell is Deka. That being said they make and label batteries for Napa, Oriellys, Federated, Tractor supply, Rural King, Car Quest and a bunch more. Johnson Control still builds for Autozone, Delco, Interstate and others. Korea is now a major supplier for batteries. 

Just like tools, if you dig down deep enough most are made in the same plants just different logo's 🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Generally for something decent the sad answer is yes. Walk in the parts stores and just take a look. Thanks Joe ( Biden). 

I'm sure you were glued to the TV last night NOT 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

I'm sure you were glued to the TV last night NOT 🤣

I was 'sleepy Joe' last night. Woke up after my dinner nap, he was on TV so I changed the channel.

• Like 4