Newbie 1970

Kevn70

New  guy here. Picked up this 1970 a few months ago and just now starting to dig into it. Making rusty parts look new again, story of my life. Getting this project going, starting at the front and working my way back. I Ordered the American Autowire complete harness kit to avoid any headaches with this chopped up original . Lets see how it goes. Lost of rust to fix in the near future.

IMG_8446.jpeg

01079819-C8D3-4820-BDAE-C3C1B447D941.jpeg

Edited by Kevn70
Spelling

Welcome Kevin. A couple days ago I was cruising around Facebook and seen your pictures. It didn’t take you long to tear in to it. Looks like a pretty nice car to rebuild or restore. You have started the process of getting involved with, in my opinion, the best Monte group. A great bunch of Monte heads here. You have questions, we are all here to help. Good luck on your project and hope to see you on the site often. 

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

Welcome to the club Kevin. I see yours has the gauge package and tach. Is it by chance an SS? There is plenty of help here for any questions or problems you may have.

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

Welcome Kevin! Do you know the original color combo to your new acquisition? What engine/trans combo? 

• Thank You! 1

Welcome aboard the FGMCC boards, we hope you like what you see here and become a full fledged dues paying member of the club. 

rob

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

Welcome Kevin!!!!   A great group here always willing to help!!!!  She looks pretty good to me as a starting point!!!!

Lyle if you are reading this, the console in Kevins car has the cups that i was talking about. The only ones i have seen.

• Thank You! 1

Welcome Kevin. We love questions and photos. The best place to be for a First Generation Monte Carlo owner. Plenty of information, knowledge, and fun !!! We hold multiple Club Meets yearly in various locations across the US and Canada. We would love for you to join us and become a dues paying member. 

• Thank You! 1

9 hours ago, willie said:

Welcome Kevin!!!!   A great group here always willing to help!!!!  She looks pretty good to me as a starting point!!!!

Lyle if you are reading this, the console in Kevins car has the cups that i was talking about. The only ones i have seen.

First… welcome, Kevin!  It’s a great group of people here, you will have no problem getting advice as you progress through your work. 

Willie,

I’m late to the party on the cups you’re talking about. I saw the chatter about them in the other thread got distracted before I could respond.   I didn’t think anything of them as both of my cars have them.

I purchased a new set for when I had the interior redone on the ‘70, but the shop that did the install didn’t attach them to the new console (maybe they didn’t want to drill holes into a brand new piece?).  Never inquired with the trim shop and just left the belts on the floor when not in use for now.

Here’s a couple pics of the interior of the ‘70 as it arrived as well as a couple pictures of the cups in the ‘71. 

When the better half rides with me I make her go seatbelt-less and I use the passenger side cups for my smokes and garage door opener 🤣😂

(Kidding)

DB308CC6-118C-4D97-999C-322F99E63F4B.jpeg

70BB9F43-B592-469A-939B-E1C951548721.jpeg

4096AA67-8CCC-4815-8479-89F6A20E2BB5.png

16EEAD4B-5E27-4B67-B7B1-8BC633A42FC7.png

• Like 3
  • Thank You! 1

2 hours ago, Glen said:

First… welcome, Kevin!  It’s a great group of people here, you will have no problem getting advice as you progress through your work. 

Willie,

I’m late to the party on the cups you’re talking about. I saw the chatter about them in the other thread got distracted before I could respond.   I didn’t think anything of them as both of my cars have them.

I purchased a new set for when I had the interior redone on the ‘70, but the shop that did the install didn’t attach them to the new console (maybe they didn’t want to drill holes into a brand new piece?).  Never inquired with the trim shop and just left the belts on the floor when not in use for now.

Here’s a couple pics of the interior of the ‘70 as it arrived as well as a couple pictures of the cups in the ‘71. 

When the better half rides with me I make her go seatbelt-less and I use the passenger side cups for my smokes and garage door opener 🤣😂

(Kidding)

DB308CC6-118C-4D97-999C-322F99E63F4B.jpeg

70BB9F43-B592-469A-939B-E1C951548721.jpeg

4096AA67-8CCC-4815-8479-89F6A20E2BB5.png

16EEAD4B-5E27-4B67-B7B1-8BC633A42FC7.png

Yes Glen, those are the ones i seen, minus the chrome strip on all the consoles. But what Lyle posted looks like what i seen in the pic from that Gentleman at Carlisle on the bottom of the back seat.   Tkx for the pics, cars look great!!!

• Thank You! 1

Glen do me a solid and check your build sheet for either of the cars and see if those cups have a special code for them, as i cant find them in the codes for the Chevelle. Tkx

19 minutes ago, willie said:

Glen do me a solid and check your build sheet for either of the cars and see if those cups have a special code for them, as i cant find them in the codes for the Chevelle. Tkx

Willie,

I see nothing obvious on the ‘70s Build Sheet that would lead me to believe it appeared as a “code”.  I’d ASSUME that if it did appear it might be logical to be located near the seatbelt boxes (#87 and #88). For what it’s worth, there ARE seven boxes missing on the BS, so I guess there’s always the possibility it may have populated one of those.  The picture I have for the ‘71 is garbage… so blurry it resembles hieroglyphics. I’ll have to check that another time and get back to you. 

0A2776F4-D2A5-43A9-BA65-24B18AC158C3.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Willie,

I see nothing obvious on the ‘70s Build Sheet that would lead me to believe it appeared as a “code”.  I’d ASSUME that if it did appear it might be logical to be located near the seatbelt boxes (#87 and #88). For what it’s worth, there ARE seven boxes missing on the BS, so I guess there’s always the possibility it may have populated one of those.  The picture I have for the ‘71 is garbage… so blurry it resembles hieroglyphics. I’ll have to check that another time and get back to you. 

0A2776F4-D2A5-43A9-BA65-24B18AC158C3.png

Thanks Glen i checked mine and i didn't see anything either. So i am guessing they were in some kind of package also. We now know the rears are most likely dealer or after market items. But i was just wondering about the front console ones??

19 minutes ago, willie said:

Thanks Glen i checked mine and i didn't see anything either. So i am guessing they were in some kind of package also. We now know the rears are most likely dealer or after market items. But i was just wondering about the front console ones??

No worries, Willie. I wonder if they were just automatically installed when the car was optioned with the console.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, willie said:

Willie, I went through my build sheet for my 71, and as Glen said, there’s nothing that addresses the s/b holders for the console.i just assumed that at least on the 71s, they all had them. My first 71 that I bought in 74 had them. As for the chrome trim, I’m sure it was necessary to keep the mounting screws from pulling through the somewhat soft material the cups were made of over time.

• Like 2

A lot of places sell the console pockets separately from the chrome piece. All the factory had the chrome. My 72 does not have the console pockets factory. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas. Im currently calling this the Rusty Carlo because as decent as it looks it’s hiding plenty of rust. Will definitely be keeping this thread updated as i go. 

IMG_1099.jpeg

IMG_1009.jpeg