A bit of Progress

MGD72Monte

I've been working on a rear end overhaul since April, trying to find time here and there. No progress on the differential yet because I have been busy refurbishing the undercarriage. Thought I would share some of the small results.

Here is one end of the transmission crossmember with brackets and mounts after removal. The mounts had signs of rot and were full of corroded metal chunks from the crossmember. If you look closely you can even see shades of salt mad on the end of the crossmember even though the car has hardly seen even rain for over 20 years (the old girl had a tough life before that). One of the bolts was so rusted I had to cut it off.

DSCN3574.JPG

Here are the same brackets and crossmember after sandblasting and painting. The hardware is new grade 8, the mounts are from two separate donor junk yard cars that had a less salty life. One of them is mint, the other is pretty good. Both are much better than the originals.

DSCN3684.JPG

This is the area above the differential. Lots of rust, and the emission system lines are in bad shape, the one going to the charcoal cannister was rotted through. The long rubber line was a temp repair for the main fuel line which was rotted out.

DSCN3571.JPG

Here is the same area after wire brushing and painting with all new lines. I also removed the emissions "separator ASM" (sits behind the rear seat) and sandblasted the tubing ends. The lines are the new armour type which come as a coil and are pre-painted green. I decided to replace the emission lines as I still have the charcoal cannister installed even though the system is not hooked up to the engine. The lines are 5/16" and 3/8". Each one is bent by hand, cut to fit and flared, which I found to be challenging especially for the 3/8" line which has a tendancy to kink if you are not gentle with the curves. Plus the fact that for some of them you are working in a confined area with the coil which is a bit of a pain.

DSCN3687.JPG

Here are the upper control arms after removal. Bolts rusted but not as bad as I thought. The bushings were also not as bad as the car's front lower control arms.

DSCN3567.JPG

These are the arms after sandblasting, painting, replacement of the bushings with stock type rubber and with new hardware.

DSCN3645.JPG

That's it for now. Yeah I know this is not huge progress but it is nice to see some stuff ready and going back on the car.

Nice work, MG! Salt is nasty stuff, but looks like you arrested its work, reclaimed what was still functional and replaced the rest. Good feeling to know it's done even if it isn't visible to everyone every day.

Nice work!! Really neat job on that gerbil's nest of emission/fuel lines. smile

Must have been fun wirebrushing up there in the differential area - brings back memories. Suddenly, I've got the urge to go wash my hair. laugh

Nice work there. Are you on a lift, or on jack stands? Or cement blocks? I just ask because, dang, that's even more impressive if you accomplished all that lying on your back.

Nice! How many spots in the steel fuel / vapor lines were rusted out? Mine are all OEM, guess I should crawl under mine and check.

I remember doing some of the same things about 22 years ago. I left the upper arms in after removing the axle. I think they were too hard to get at or I just got too tired. Keep up the good work!

Bruce

Nice work! Though I'm shocked at the amount of corrosion in the undercarriage; owning Cali cars we're not exposed to that much rust. There's less divots/craters on the moon surface, than some of that metal. shock

Thanks a lot for all the encouraging comments guys,

To answer some of the questions:

Daryl, I am on jack stands, lots of laying on my back ... but not restful laugh. This is the set up.

DSCN3588.JPG

Bob, yeah, lots of "fun" laying in a rust dust storm during the wire brushing with my arms killing me. Before going in for a shower after a day of this, I would rince my self off outside with a garden hose and use some dish soap to get the first layer off grin.

Bruce, although heavily corroded, the short steel vapour lines above the differential area were not corroded through, the long line that goes to the charcoal cannister was essentially corroded through at the metal clips in the area you can see above the coil spring. Also, about three years ago I replaced a portion of the fuel line which had gotten very thin and had some indetectable corrosion pin holes which resulted in air getting sucked into the fuel line (and then carb) causing poor drivability. I would recommend you at least check the condition of that line. The vapour lines don't really affect anything.

Rod, I think you misread my location. I am not in California, I am in Canada, land of ice and salt. This is where my car spent most of it's early life, hence the moon like heavy corrosion craters shocked.

Didn't mean to sound obnoxious, it's just that encountering that much corrosion can be discouraging. I guess that forty year old car has held-up well. It's just that the "angel of darkness" is been brutal. grin

Rod, no worries, I was also just poking fun. Road salt is a terrible thing and as you can tell, takes a heavy toll. I lived on the West coast for a few years where they don't use salt and found Montes in the junk yards there with less rust on the frame than mine had 20+ years ago. How's that for accelerating aging!!! It has been discouraging at times and it will never be a show car, but I've owned it so long, it's family now.

Jason, thanks, I'm about an hour from Kingston.

Phil, thanks!

Scott, I picked up a book to educate myself on differentials before I decide exactly what I will be doing. I know I want to detail it, and get new bushings, beyond that I'm not 100% sure, but I'm keeping the same gear ratio. I will likely overhaul over the winter.

Steve, thanks for the kind words, means a lot coming from a fellow Monte enthusiast, but I know all her flaws. You're right though, I do not want a trailer queen, well maybe if I could have numerous Montes, I'd have a trailer queen or two grin. Actually I've been delaying repainting the 20+ year old paint (it is rough and the body needs smoothing) because I might start considering it too nice too drive. After I'm done this latest phase, it will still be a nice old car with character wink.

The small stuff is the hard stuff and the hardest to make progress on. Anybody can paint a car or drop a motor and bamm instant progress but the little stuff is the time consuming stuff..Looks awsome,keep up the nice work..