Help!!!!!!!!!

bigscaht

I'm surprised, just did mine a few months ago and there was room. The thickness of a wrench is about the same as the thickness of a nut so there has to be room for the open end. Did you try just turning the bolt from underneith to see if you could get it to break free without the nut above turning?

Put a short extention with a impact univirsal socket put it up on the bolt put the gun in forward and try and break it off. If that dont work you should be able to get a wrench on the top. We used to cut them off with a torch but that you need a lift for, you dont want to be laying on the ground and try that. Use the shortest extention you can get away with to get the most torque from the air gun.

well I dont have an impact gun(christmas gift idea!!!) but I have a few open end 1/2" wrenches so imma get back on it in the morning and fight with it..on the passenger side it seems as if there are fuel lines in the way of getting a wrench in there and the darn exaust isnt helping either......

and i put anti seize on everything that does not requires locktite.

words of advice!! Man, anybody that's ever stripped a V.W. air cooled cylinder head can attest to that! It works wonders on galling also, specially on hood hinges. whistle

Hey Dan...funny u mention the body mounts....I'm contemplateing makin that the next project after I put the front brakes back together. Really started thinkin bout it while under the car trying to get wrench in that VERY small space.

Could be your body mounts have flattened over the years and closed the gap that was. If you havent done so already I would think about swapping them out.

Dan

Probably the issue. Try jacking up on the body some at pinch weld on rocker below the front of your quarters. This may gain you some more clearance. Also most shock mounts are slotted @ the top so you don't necessarily have to completely remove the bolts, just loosen & shift shock side to side to dislodge bolts. That may help for reassembly. Also the nuts are old school thread locking type, could be difficult to initially break free. Good luck

Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)
I've never had a problem with any ol open end wrench confused

ditto I must agree!

If that does not work there is always liquid wrench grin

oxy-acetylene-cutting-torch.jpg

im starting to think my body bushings are really bad back there because i cant get anything up in that crevice on the passenger side..imma give it a rest this weekend..and get back on it on monday....urgh!!!!!

Since I always replace old bolts when installing new parts, I removed the upper rear shock bolt with an air gun. Tightened the little bugger bolts til they snapped. Took just a few minutes. - Dave