Is It A Real SS?

Its Just Me

I know I'm new here and I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I think I found an error in the "Technical Info/Is it a real SS" area of this site. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I only noticed this because I'm trying to determine if I have a true SS or not, so I'm looking very closely at all info I can get my hands on.

In the Automatic Level Control section, there is verbage stating "The leveling valve in mounted on the body and attaches to the left rearend control arm" below it is a photo, that to me, looks like it's mounted on the right control arm. I'm I seeing this wrong?

When I looked at purchasing the car I have ('71), the seller assured me it was a true SS, but didn't have a build sheet. I wasn't specifically looking for an SS, but if that were the case...great. I did a lot of research on this site and was armed with good info to help me make a reasonable field determination. I distintly remember crawling under the car, seeing a valve and thinking to myself, "it has the valve, but it's on the right arm. FGMCC says it should be on the left, did somebody just throw one on to give the impression?" Long story short (maybe not so short), I bought the car, but am curious, is my leveling valve on the correct side or not?

And no, it doesn't have the compressor, the plastic air line clips, the shock protector plates, the rubber bumper pads or the original engine. But it does have the SS badging, the chrome trunk valance trim, the 1-1/8" front sway bar, the rear sway bar and boxed control arms and of course, the leveling valve. It was built in Baltimore and there is no "L" on the trim tag. Anything else I should look for? Again, I don't really care if it isn't an SS, but would sure like to know.

I will begin my search for the "Holy Grail" build sheet yet this winter.

Scott

The adjustable air ride was an option & available on non SS Montes too though. Also available as a dealer installed item after it left the plant.

Hey Scott, the photo in our Tech Info section could have been reversed by accident ? The Arm is suppose to be on the Passenger (right side) of the car on the upper control arm as Dan mentioned. The drivers side front inner fenderwell at the front should have as Larry mentioned mounting holes for or maybe still has the compressor brackets located there...

The Load Level system or Air Ride was standard on all SS cars and was also an option for non ss monte's and even chevelle's as my 70 chevelle convertible had the load level system on it and also on the build sheet for it...

Darren.

the photo does show the right side? confused Maybe the text is wrong!

71levelingvalve2.jpg

Good catch, Rod. The text could be clarified by replacing "left" with "passenger side". Regardless of any convention, left or right always depends on which direction you're looking. Might as well replace "in" with "is", also.

Darren: As part of the restoration (prior to me), the inner fenderwells were replaced...therefore no holes or brackets.

Sam: I've never heard of the SS's having different knobs, but I learn something new every day, maybe someone else will chime in & straighen us out. To answer your question, the original radio is long gone, but my light switch is the smaller rubber style (inlike the larger plastic of the '70's), but no symbol on it. And based on what I'm learing from my thread in the electrical forum, my switch may not be the original. My lighter does have the symbol though.

Can someone confirm or deny this question...did the big block cars have a larger fuel line from the tank to the pump and if so, what size? I thought I read that somewhere.

Scott

When you buy a headlight switch, it comes without the knob. You have to reuse your original.

My SS (71) has all rubber knobs with the intl symbols.

I understand that another clue is the color of the steering column. The SS had a black column no matter what interior color.

If you have black interior, that won't help you any.

Can someone confirm or deny this question...did the big block cars have a larger fuel line from the tank to the pump and if so, what size? I thought I read that somewhere.

Scott

Yes they had a larger fuel line... 3/8...

Darren.

@ ITS JUST ME Do you have pictures of the car and or what color and options does your car have? I had a 71 SS454 car that was a Baltimore build and I still have the build sheet for it.

Originally Posted By: Mo's70MCs
the photo does show the right side? confused Maybe the text is wrong!

71levelingvalve2.jpg

Good catch, Rod. The text could be clarified by replacing "left" with "passenger side". Regardless of any convention, left or right always depends on which direction you're looking. Might as well replace "in" with "is", also.

Quote:
Might as well replace "in" with "is", also.

Good eye! One of my favorites proofreading. It takes a masterful & keen eye. I missed that! cool

I understand that another clue is the color of the steering column. The SS had a black column no matter what interior color.

If you have black interior, that won't help you any.

That only applies to 1970. In 1971, all Montes had a black column and steering wheel.

As for the knobs (headlight, radio, cig lighter), I also beleve that the SS montes had international symbols and the non-SS Montes had plain knobs.

I had read that in 71-72 that if the sport steering wheel was optioned in a non SS model that the steering wheel and column were painted the interior color,if it was on an SS they were all black.

That could be true. I' don't know for sure.

Rich and others

The car is black on black w/black vinyl top. Vin # is 138571B111115. 12 bolt posi, 3.31 gears, buckets w/floor shift, front bumper guards, no tilt, no guage package, A/C, TH400, 454, large front sway bar, rear sway bar & boxed control arms, rear air shocks, 15x7 ralleys. It's missing, or never had, shock protectors and the load leveling compressor, but it does have the valve mounted in the rear. It has the black padded steering wheel with the burlwood insert. It appears to have all the correct big block brackets etc, but I know the 454 is not the correct/original. The radiator cover has what appears to be the original tuning sticker still attached and it and it lists the 454 as the engine.

I beleive the car was restored at some not too distant past, so who knows what was added, changed, removed. The restoration was very nicely done. Whoever did the resto, either was very familiar with SS montes, or it just started out as one.

I'll check today to see if I have 3/8" fuel lines. And maybe I better move the build sheet search up on my list a bit.

I'll figure out how to load photos, maybe later this weekend. I know how you guys love photos and can pick stuff out that I never even see. Probably start a new thread then.

Scott

Hey Scott, you said the shock protector plates aren't there but are the bolt holes for mounting them there in the diff housing I wonder? The 3:31 gears are correct for the SS. If it is the original rearend and an SS, those bolt holes will be there.

RichG: Thanks for looking...1 in a million (or 1 in 1919) but worth a shot.

LostnFound: Can you explain what I would be looking for? My shock mounts have a small hole in them that looks like they could be used to mount plates, but my 72 small block,12 bolt parts car has the same holes. Could be that the SS would have threads tapped in them? I'll check for threads when I can access the rearend a little better, the front is up on jack stands right now, makes it a bit tight.

Scott