What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Took her in for an estimate on minor upholstery repairs. Found an old school guy who loves (GREEN) Monte Carlos.. The seats were done at the first 100,000 mile mark …

The only worn spot was the edge of the drivers seat where I get in/out, the carpet kick panel on the drivers door and the drivers arm rest. Not bad for the second 100,000 miles..

He said he will do the job for $350 and it will pass inspection from  you guys…  LOL,,,  We'll see…  All other seats are in perfect condition.

In his old inventory, we found enough pieces of green vinyl which looks like a perfect match..  

He said he had some matching green leather to stitch wrap my steering wheel again. He also had some very nice browns which would closely match or blend with the burlwood vinyl on the dash and steering wheel. 

I've been quoted much higher prices… One shop wanted $2750 for complete redo of both seats and the material would have looked like crap… I'd sit on a damned beer crate before I'd pay that… 

Thank you to all for your ongoing inspiration, I finally had some time in the garage, Friend helped me finish the wheel well, outside trunk filler and started on the sail.  We unboxed one of the doors I purchased in Arizona back in the mid 90' and was super happy on how well it stored.  The backordered gasket kit finally arrived for the heater box assy.  I can finally get moving as soon as medicare season is over!  YES!  Thank you all for sharing!

image.jpeg

2023-11-19 00.04.37.jpg

2023-11-18 19.39.56.jpg

2023-11-18 13.43.14.jpg

2023-11-18 13.42.06.jpg

2023-11-17 15.42.56.jpg

• Like 5

Not monte but I went down to Albany this past weekend to have my mom's 95 birthday we took her out to dinner Sunday night then to breakfast Monday morning.  She had a great time . Here is a picture of 4 generations mom, me, my daughter and her great grand children (my grandchildren) me my brother and sister,  daughter,  son in law my niece and great niece all had a great time, well worth the trip.

20231126_181459.jpg

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Is that a stress crack in that case?  May just be manufacturing but it looks odd. 

No, it is not a crack just some oil tracking when I sprayed brake clean on it. When I saw the picture, I figured somebody would pick up on that.

• Like 4

Now it’s done. Heli coil in, torqued the retainer bolts to 20 foot pounds the Muncie guy said 25 foot pounds but I didn’t want to risk it. Got most of my information from the Muncie tapes. There were four parts to disassemble and rebuild a Muncie 4speed. Putting the retainer nut on he does not recommend staking the nut he recommends red. Loctite tighten it down a couple hits with the hammer and good to go. I guess that retainer nut works as an oil seal don’t want to risk damaging it. One last thing to possibly do I’m debating whether I should drill and tap a 1/2” NPT drain hole in the case like M22 has.

John S

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0290.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

• Like 6

Amazing to see the things our club members are doing to there first gen Monte’s . Good use of winter days

Been doing some paint touch on the 71.. not  professional, but not bad either. Old dog can learn new tricks 🐕… IMG_2080.thumb.jpeg.38dfbfc040a83b38c2e341505d08e73a.jpegIMG_2082.thumb.jpeg.1fe91d1f99285e3bab9d36f550ae0afe.jpegIMG_2091.thumb.jpeg.e8bb8eb2671b43e9f224f7ddc415a40e.jpeghad a paint crack behind rear window, removed the trim, filled, smoothed, painted,blended in.needs a little more buffing . But . I’m happy with it ..

• Like 10

Looks wonderful.  I just fabricated the felt mount for the new quarter.  Debating on seam sealer in that area vs brazing.  Not sure what the factory did.  Mine looks similar before replacing the full quarter.

Any opinions out there of brazing over seam sealer? 

2022-06-03 21.54.28.jpg

2022-06-03 22.18.11.jpg

2022-06-03 21.53.17.jpg

2023-12-04 15.14.48.jpg

Unless you remove every bit of flux from the brazing, it'll eventually pop up thru the paint. I haven't seen anybody do bodywork with brazing since the 70's...with the results usually ending up as above.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Stuckin70s said:

Searsman: Looks great.  Did you use dura-glass, body filler?  Enquiring minds want to know?  Thanks, Brad

Yes I’d, an epoxy type mixture, was easy to work with and dried in about 5 minutes  sandable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John S said:

I felt ambitious, so I decided to make my own Muncie front bearing retainer nut wrench. Good thing for McMaster Carr.

Nice Job!

A lot nicer than the one I had to make, probably around 35+ years ago, lol. Made it out of some 1/8" plate I had in stock. Not sure how I ended up making it in that shape, but maybe something I saw available elsewhere for that application (wasn't in the GM service manuals though, I just looked).

I tend to mark what these 'special' tools are nowadays, because over the years you get quite a collection of them, and have forgotten what some of them were used for. Growing old sucks...

20231215_154931.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have to do that also at my age. If I don’t label something a year down the road I’m scratching my head wondering what it’s used for. Plus it doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as it works.

• Like 4

Got it together. Took it out for a test ride today. See how everything was going to work. Clutch works and grabs fine. No issues with that. My clattering noise in first gear is now gone. I will attribute that to the new pilot bushing. After hearing a noise for a long time, you can get used to it and dismiss it as normal. Transmission overall seems quieter. One thing I should have done that I did not do is replace the input bearing. Don’t remember being noisy, but I can hear it now idling in neutral little bit of a noise put the clutch in all quiet I have a video here might be hard to hear but see what you think. 

• Like 4