70 ss454 Front Rotor size

5 minutes ago, SMOOTHCHROME said:

Does anybody on the forum know if the front rotors on a 70 Monte big block car have the same or bigger rotors than the small block Mont Carlo 

Same rotors for all first gen Montes regardless of engine.

• Like 1

It is amazing but my Monte still has its original factory front rotors.  I am not sure about the 71 and 72 rotors but the 70 rotors had a recessed grove all the way around the rotor about half way across the face of the rotor.  This is how you can tell they are factory style rotors.  It would surprise me if what you buy as replacement rotors now would have his grove in them.

rob

26 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

This is how you can tell they are factory style rotors.  It would surprise me if what you buy as replacement rotors now would have his grove in them.

rob

The current rotors out there don't seem to have that groove. They're the same rotors for a 69 Camaro though & the ones I took off my car recently had the groove in them. I did replace them when I initially built the car in the late 80's, I think they were Bendix at the time.

My 71 still has the original also. When I had them turned I told them to leave the groove. They said the groove was not supposed to be there something caused it. I said your right and the cause was gm. lol. Idiots. 

6AE52FB2-5DF4-463E-9CC5-DBB502D67908.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dtret said:

My 71 still has the original also. When I had them turned I told them to leave the groove. They said the groove was not supposed to be there something caused it. I said your right and the cause was gm. lol. Idiots. 

6AE52FB2-5DF4-463E-9CC5-DBB502D67908.jpeg

Dancing Banana GIFs | TenorDancing Banana GIFs | TenorDancing Banana GIFs | TenorDancing Banana GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

I don’t know what I did to deserve this kind of abuse. Never mind, yes I do. Carry on. 

😁😁😁:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:🤑:yay:😁😁It is your magnetic personality Dennis  :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:🤑:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

• Like 1

Wonder what that groove was for?   Doesn't look to be for cooling...maybe some sort of air gap between pad and   rotor?     or an indexing aide during machining?  or only purpose is for mechanical minds to wonder about it 50 years later? yes that's what I'm going with (for now)

I am wondering if it was used by dealers to guage how much wear is on a rotor.  It may have been a pass/no pass indicator for knowing when they were worn out.

rob

11 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I am wondering if it was used by dealers to guage how much wear is on a rotor.  It may have been a pass/no pass indicator for knowing when they were worn out.

rob

thats possible..  a quick visual "min thickness"  reference...  we used to use a primitive guage setup to judge whether we could cut them back in the day

22 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yes on the finned drums but not sure what you mean by finned rotors. Can you show us what your talking about? They all have he Finns in the center.

The front rotors had short fins that were around the center hub down to the disc surface..... 

I threw them in the metal scrap when I re did my brakes, thought that they were just that old. 

2 hours ago, Scott S. said:

The front rotors had short fins that were around the center hub down to the disc surface..... 

I threw them in the metal scrap when I re did my brakes, thought that they were just that old. 

Can't say I've ever seen that before that I can think of. I upgraded to drilled and slotted rotors on mine but no Finns.

20200113_145256.jpg

The fins vthey are talking about me thnks is in the space between the inner and outer face of the rotors at least that is my thooughts were have been wrong alreaddy 6 times today 😁:yay:😀