Gas tank - Sloshing. anyone have one with baffles?

The tank I have i think was a dynacorn / DII corvex I got it back in 2012.  Well its been sloshing gas out the back when I hammer on it. I even have a locking gas cap with the  thicker rubber seal.  Dose anyone know if theres a tank you can get that has a baffle or something so it doesn't do that? Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Probably a tank made for a fuel injection system with an electric pump inside. What you describe has been an issue since the first Monte Carlo was built. Chevelle's also. Lol

Id do the fuel injection tank except I'm not going to fuel injection. Was hoping someone made a replacement tank with a baffle or something to slow the sloshing and my losing gas out the filler.  Without having to spend  $1000.00 smackers. 😉

What year is your Monte?

My 71 has the evaporative emission system so the (original) gas cap is a tight seal.

I think 70 Monte's had the "vented / leaking" type of gas tank but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

What year is your monte?

The inside of the cap looks a bit different to me.

The fuel is leaking out from the cap area, correct?

Try a different cap??

Here is mine and yours together.

No my gas cap leaking-COLLAGE.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I just had an Epiphany .  I have the three ports on the gas tank. I have them connected to what I don't remember. I do not have a charcoal cannister. Im wondering if this is part of my problem. Does anyone know if I should just plug up all three of the Ports?   

Thank You

Not sure if this can be of any help but it can't hurt. 71 fuel evaporative hose routing from the tank. 

Several years ago I replaced all the "original" rubber hoses and almost threw out this hose but found a very small plastic "restrictor" inside one of them. 

The three hoses on top of the charcoal emission canister are:

- from the fuel tank area

- from the PCV system (This is where it gets sucked to)

- the trigger hose to open the diaphragm allowing the vapors to be sucked into the engine. (I had a vacuum leak in the diaphragm, and replaced the entire canister)

There are two pictures posted showing the vacuum switch, on the evap canister, that when you accelerate the diaphragm opens and allows the vapor to enter the engine and be burned under acceleration.  

There is also a large hose on the bottom of the evap canister, but I'm not sure what it is for.

BTW, after I drive my Monte and park it in the garage, it makes the entire garage smell from gasoline. Perhaps I have a leak? (Or it is from the original Quadrajet)

I bet you wish you had all this stuff attached and working now right? 

Not sure if this was different in California in 71 or if it was started earlier like in 1970?

IMG_0374-001.JPG

IMG_0369-001.JPG

evap canister.jpg

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MC-71 said:

Bruce. Do you know if anyone sells that RESTRICTOR?

Sorry, no

• 2 months later...

Upon further review I figured out the issue with the Gas cap and leaking gas cap. It looks like the issue is the re-pop gas tank I bought back in 2012. Been using it this entire time since car has been back on the road in 2015. I didn't catch it when Bruce was kind enough to upload his pictures.  I had my original tank out in the shed.  You can see the difference in the Lip. The re-pop tank has a lip that is much thinner in most of the area and only gets snug in one very small area. The gas caps fit great on the original filler.   So now dilemma is do I get another tank or have my old one redone...  

Gas Tank : DII corvex
T31  CV 07-TK04
70-72  W/O O E.E.C.

New filler 1.jpg

New filler 2.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

Original tank filler 2.jpg

gas cap .jpg

Gas Cap 1jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Alan, good luck, glad you found the problem.

I think I will go for a ride now, it is 1973, isn't it?

snowmobile.jpeg

8 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Alan, good luck, glad you found the problem.

I think I will go for a ride now, it is 1973, isn't it?

snowmobile.jpeg

I sure do miss that. Growing up in Minnesota we had 69 panther, 71 puma, 2 72 cheetah’s and a 73 el tigre. Good times. 

• Like 1

Don't think the car was ever hit in the back but I am guessing the filler neck isn't usually bent like this on the gas tanks?  Im thinking this was why I bought a re-pop gas tank when i redid the car. The repop is spilling gas, the cap dosent seal.  Im cleaning up the original one that was sitting in the shed. any one else with an original tank, is it funky like this ?   Thanks

Tank 1.jpg

Tank 2.jpg

Tank 3.jpg

Tank 4.jpg

Maybe that flat part is the fix? I was just thinking about that problem last night wondering if I could create a light weight damper that would roll up slip down the filler tube and then open up. I know your mind is supposed to do it's best work while you're sleeping, not so much in this case. Can I get a dancing banana?

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

I know your mind is supposed to do it's best work while you're sleeping, not so much in this case.

I usually do my best thinking in a different room....

You may be able to squeeze it on the sides of the kinked area to open it up a bit.