1970 front grille emblem

On my 70 Monte the front grille emblem is missing the top red piece. I see them on Ebay for about $80. then I see one for I think an 87 for about $40. They look the same. then I did some research and found some years had roman numbers, some had just little vertical lines. something the average person wouldn't even notice. They look the same size and color. Any comments on using one from a newer Monte?

20221105_133307.jpg

Like Rob said, its your car.......Can't comment on size or fitment, but since your not going for the original/stock/factory look why not save a few bucks. If anyone asks blame it on the PO 🤣

You are correct on the Roman numerals for the 70 and 71 emblem only. The 72 has the vertical lines.

Same for the trunk emblem around the lock also for the 71 and 72.

You may be able to use another (newer) emblem in the area but it will not look right. Like others have said, it's your car but for me, original style 70-72 emblem or nothing. 

The emblem will not properly attach to the grille unless it is correct for the year.

The mounting posts on back of emblem conflict with bars on grille.

Here's the link to the Roman numerals for proper year.

• Like 2

The newer model emblem I would think is much flatter than the one that came on the 70. The thing that I have learned over the years when I try thing's like this is I end up spending more money in the long run and end up with extra"in stock" parts.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rare SS said:

The emblem will not properly attach to the grille unless it is correct for the year.

The mounting posts on back of emblem conflict with bars on grille.

Here's the link to the Roman numerals for proper year.

The '70-'72 models will interchange, as Montelishi arrived with a '71 emblem. (One of the first things I changed.) 

I've lost count of how many people actually mention and check to see if I've got the right one....... But I had to come here before anyone noticed the hood spear is a '72. LOL  

• Like 1

As far as I am concerned, if you like an emblem from a different year and you can adapt it to fit I would say go for it.  Please, whatever you do, Please, Please, Please do not put a Chevelle SS emblem on your grill.  That I don't like.

rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Please, whatever you do, Please, Please, Please do not put a Chevelle SS emblem on your grill.  That I don't like.

rob

Thanks for adding that Rob, I was thinking the same 🤣

I bought an SS license plate for the front of mine, HATED the look so now its hanging on the garage wall 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

As far as I am concerned, if you like an emblem from a different year and you can adapt it to fit I would say go for it.  Please, whatever you do, Please, Please, Please do not put a Chevelle SS emblem on your grill.  That I don't like.

rob

I have several in the basement,  it will be on my 71 for Carlisle. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I have several in the basement,  it will be on my 71 for Carlisle. 

Dennis, That is fine, we won't make fun of you for doing that because we are all aware of the challenges you face from too many whack's on the head

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Dennis, That is fine, we won't make fun of you for doing that because we are all aware of the challenges you face from too many whack's on the head

rob

The 2x4, it’s the gift that keeps on giving!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

I don't know who "we" are. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, DragCat said:

Since other years will not fit I guess my opinion was a moot point 🤣 That being said I have had people check to see if mine was correct and comment on it. 

It's impressive how many people are aware of that little bit of trivia.... 

• Like 1

Yes, it is. I found a new one for a 1970 on Ebay for $82.00, so I bought it. You can't find one that reasonable on any restoration web site. It is amazing the little different variant  changes between years.

• Like 2