Looking to buy original “ style” air cleaner

9 hours ago, Searsman said:

By the way Denn, forgot to ask where did you get those AU decals ? Ron…

The radiator plate decal came from the parts place, can’t remember the air cleaner but I remember cutting the decal because the other one wouldn’t come off 

• Like 1

My pos70 is a Flint car. No build sheet. Will Someone look on their 70 SS build sheet and see what the code is ? My radiator tag was in place when I left Maryland, gone when I got back to Cincinnati. I do believe it was stolen by the wind gods. 

Paul, Ron and Dennis I do believe that Darren did make a mention that they were in a different numbered box. I was asking him at the time i was building the 72 Custom. I think Darren told me his was in a different box.

I just checked my build sheet on the 72 Custom, and two of my 71 SSs. They are all in box 91.   However the 71s have "AU" and the 72 has "LX".   Not sure how that relates to the 70 SSs, someone else has to help us with that, i don't have a 70.  🙁 sorry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

My pos70 is a Flint car. No build sheet. Will Someone look on their 70 SS build sheet and see what the code is ? My radiator tag was in place when I left Maryland, gone when I got back to Cincinnati. I do believe it was stolen by the wind gods. 

Not sure if you’re referencing the air cleaner or the radiator, so I’ve attached pix of both. 

5 hours ago, willie said:

Paul, Ron and Dennis I do believe that Darren did make a mention that they were in a different numbered box. I was asking him at the time i was building the 72 Custom. I think Darren told me his was in a different box.

I just checked my build sheet on the 72 Custom, and two of my 71 SSs. They are all in box 91.   However the 71s have "AU" and the 72 has "LX".   Not sure how that relates to the 70 SSs, someone else has to help us with that, i don't have a 70.  🙁 sorry.

Box #91 on my ‘70 SS is for wheel covers.  Box #91 on the ‘71 SS is also ‘AU’.  See attached pix. 

26DBD99E-7308-4FF5-8C5D-1922B1F66535.png

98E8D531-D6CE-4550-B7F5-07AE8B16D3FD.png

09169B51-9627-4824-8F06-BB3D9D62C009.png

58913B5A-D9DF-4382-8F0C-CF4751BEB9E6.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dtret said:

The radiator plate decal came from the parts place, can’t remember the air cleaner but I remember cutting the decal because the other one wouldn’t come off 

Thanks Dennis, I found the radiator AU code decal at SS396.com for 71 454. Strange they don’t have the air cleaner decal for AU. I called them to make sure. That’s the one I’m not finding anywhere, yet. 

With the information here and other research it looks like the 70’s SS cars were CN but it’s real common for California built cars. Can anyone comment on non Cali built cars. Thanks. I did just find a Baltimore build that was CN also. 

2 hours ago, Searsman said:

Thanks Dennis, I found the radiator AU code decal at SS396.com for 71 454. Strange they don’t have the air cleaner decal for AU. I called them to make sure. That’s the one I’m not finding anywhere, yet. 

I ordered the correct air cleaner for my ‘70 thru this place as it arrived with a Quick Fuel carb and what appears to be a Chevelle air cleaner. The new/refurbished ‘70 air cleaner arrived complete with the correct stickers. Give them a shout, I’d bet they’ll have the sticker for a ‘71. 

https://musclecaraircleaners.com 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DragCat said:

Man, I feel for all you "original" guys. I knew mine wasn't correct but outta curiosity I pulled it off the shelf. This was on mine

https://www.ss396.com/monte-carlo/HOJ-476.html

Just curios if the labels they sell are specific for each year, ie ‘CN’ on the ‘70 label, ‘CD’ on the ‘71 label, etcetera.

The one pictured on their site shows ‘PP’ (unless my old eyes are deceiving me) on the label and it lists that label for all three years.  It wouldn’t bother me personally, as I give a rats a*# about a concourse level restoration. 99.9% of people who would even know that a label exists in that location likely wouldn't know the difference anyway. 

Still a nice touch, regardless. 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Just curios if the labels they sell are specific for each year, ie ‘CN’ on the ‘70 label, ‘CD’ on the ‘71 label, etcetera.

The one pictured on their site shows ‘PP’ (unless my old eyes are deceiving me) on the label and it lists that label for all three years.  It wouldn’t bother me personally, as I give a rats a*# about a concourse level restoration. 99.9% of people who would even know that a label exists in that location likely wouldn't know the difference anyway. 

Still a nice touch, regardless. 

More specific to year, engine size and type of emissions required at the time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dtret said:

More specific to year, engine size and type of emissions required at the time. 

Makes sense.

Answers like this must be a painful reminder to Joe that you’re the brain trust between the two of yous. 

7 hours ago, Glen said:

Makes sense.

Answers like this must be a painful reminder to Joe that you’re the brain trust between the two of yous. 

What do you mean by that?

Sammy, the decal on the firewall is Coded AW which matches box 104 on the build sheet. I replaced that decal when I repainted the radiator panel. I never checked the code until this morning when you asked. I believe I bought the decal from the parts place. I'm not sure if I got lucky or if all the 70 radiator labels are all the same.

My '70 SS Van Nuys build sheet has different codes for the air cleaner (CN) and the tune label (DQ).

A friend's survivor SS still has the original stickers. PP on the air cleaner. I don't have a pic of his tune label. It's also a Van Nuys car, but it was assembled in September of '69. Mine was January of '70. 

My car has NA9 on the build sheet, but not in the equipment list, like I've seen on '71 sheets. The car never had the NA9 emissions, though. 

Dan

Screenshot_20230212_002643_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_093120_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overdrive said:

My '70 SS Van Nuys build sheet has different codes for the air cleaner (CN) and the tune label (DQ).

A friend's survivor SS still has the original stickers. PP on the air cleaner. I don't have a pic of his tune label. It's also a Van Nuys car, but it was assembled in September of '69. Mine was January of '70. 

My car has NA9 on the build sheet, but not in the equipment list, like I've seen on '71 sheets. The car never had the NA9 emissions, though. 

Dan

Screenshot_20230212_002643_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230212_093120_Gallery.jpg

My ‘70 was built at Van Nuys 8 days after yours. Noticed that your car was shipped from the Van Nuys plant to the Leeds plant, not to a dealership. I wonder why. GM executive car?   If so, why not just build it there in Kansas?  Or perhaps the brass did side by side comparison of cars for quality control/consistency of assembly?  

5729B700-5C67-4B92-9CC6-11DBC6945C5F.jpeg