My “New-to-me” Monte Carlo

72Neverfinished

Hello everyone! Thank you for allowing me to join.

This is my 72’ Monte Carlo. I acquired this vehicle on a trade for a side by side. To my knowledge, I am the 4th owner. And the 3rd owner practically knew nothing about the car other than it had a new generation 6 454 with a “hot cam” and a th400 that was placed in the car roughly a year ago. Supposedly the car underwent a restoration 10 years ago, when they changed the color from gulf green to this hunter green now. 

The car ran fairly rough on its test drive. I could tell from my experience the car was in desperate need for a timing adjustment and a tune up. The car is running extremely rich, as evidenced by the blacker than sin spark plugs when I pulled them after I got the car home.

After getting the car home, I found more and more lazy hodgepodge fixes and lazy short cuts that were taken. Unfortunately not the kind of car I was looking for. Knowing now I would have ran far away but there’s no going back! 

Some of the immediate issues:

1. Power steering pump was wobbling: Due to longer bolts being used and not able to tighten bracket onto the block & stripped threats in water pump so the belt cannot be tightened. 
2. Crank pulley has some damage from maybe a hammer? Eventually this will shear off a belt so this needs to be addressed.

3. Car has a slight lean to the drivers front. Unsure what is causing this yet. 

Down the road: 

1. Bubbling in C pillars underneath the vinyl top. 
2. Everything else 😂

Like I said I wasn’t looking for a project, but hopefully I can fix the immediate issues and just be able to enjoy the car for a couple years. I’ll add pictures shortly!

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

IMG_2810.jpeg

• Like 12

Welcome to the madness, looks nice in the pictures ( I know that doesn't help) Don't know what side by sides cost, but think your still on top.

As you said, fiddle and fix as you go along, and just enjoy it Lots of knowledgeable Monte folks here to help 

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. This probably doesn’t help but you list sounds like relatively easy fixes. I realize it wasn’t what you wanted to do but this great group that’ can answer any questions you may have. We also have many members around your neck of the woods. Good luck and keep us updated. You did fine on the trade. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the Club! Richmond Mich. ? You don't know a Dan (Danny ) Sams in or around your area,do you? Nice "trade" on the Monte. I'm liking the color choice. Wheels are just off the hook on it. Can't beat a BBC.I'm going through the same with mine, 427BBC / Turbo 400 , 3:73 posi 12 bolt rear. Hope to see you on the site.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Welcome to the Club! Richmond Mich. ? You don't know a Dan (Danny ) Sams in or around your area,do you? Nice "trade" on the Monte. I'm liking the color choice. Wheels are just off the hook on it. Can't beat a BBC.I'm going through the same with mine, 427BBC / Turbo 400 , 3:73 posi 12 bolt rear. Hope to see you on the site.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

Hmmmm. Not to my recollection. Although now that I’m entering the classic car scene around my town it’s very possible I’ll run into him. Thank you so much!