Front spring removal

I'll be changing my front springs this coming spring. Just getting ready with all parts. I have watched a few you tube videos. I basically understand the process. I've attached a picture of a internal spring compressor. Does this fit up through the inside of the spring after the shock is removed? It looks like a slot is in the lower control arm to fit it up through. Also I see using a chain from the spring to the frame  for safety. Please advise. Thanks Wayne 20240103_091630.thumb.jpg.232b8cfd8ff6c0d24aa91e6b33cc495b.jpg20240103_091630.thumb.jpg.232b8cfd8ff6c0d24aa91e6b33cc495b.jpg

Shock has to be removed. Sometimes it's like a Chinese puzzle to get that thing in & out of that lower control arm hole though.

I haven't typically used the tool to remove the springs lately. If you drop the arm fully, there's not much tension left on the springs and a large pry bar at the bottom brings it out easy.  In your case, never having done it before, maybe using the tool won't be a bad idea.

When you're ready, call me and I can explain it in better detail,  or just take a ride and do it at my shop. I have all the tools needed here.

• Like 5
  • Thank You! 1

Those hooks would have to be flipped the opposite direction (which it looks like they could) before you insert it.

I have a pair of spring compressors I have used a while back. I haven't looked at mine in years but I remember them being a lot more heavy duty than those in the picture.

They do work but are scary to use.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 502ci said:

Those hooks would have to be flipped the opposite direction (which it looks like they could) before you insert it.

I have a pair of spring compressors I have used a while back. I haven't looked at mine in years but I remember them being a lot more heavy duty than those in the picture.

They do work but are scary to use.

Yeah, looks like the picture is just with the arms folded back.

Agreed, when I saw the $22 price of those, I think it'll be better if he brings it out to me. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Whons said:

The hooks on the compressor looked the same thickness at Advance auto as the ones on Ebay

I'd be more concerned about the quality of the steel, pins, screw, etc. It may look the same, but come apart, maybe catastrophically under load.

For $22, it's not likely made of the same quality steel as my Snap-On ones.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

I'm in the habit of running a chain down through the spring to contain it in the event the jack slips.  

I used to do that, but with a lift it's a little different. Even without a compressor tool, the spring stays captive in the upper and lower pockets.

• Like 2

Wayne, you are wise to use some type of safety restraint for that job.  The first time I did it, I pried the spring out of the lowered control arm socket and it still had enough compression to go bounding across the garage floor - fortunately I was not in its path. The next three times, I used an internal spring compressor!

It's a bit of a Houdini exercise to get it positioned (after removing the shock, of course) but it can be done and is well worth the safety it affords (see photos).

Good luck. Stay safe.

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 022.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 023.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 024.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 025.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 026.JPG

• Like 5

Changing front springs is dangerous! If your not sure how to do it DON'T I used to cut the old springs out with a torch back when I was working in the shop so they didn't jump out. I never liked doing them especially after I almost dropped a camaro on my head lucky it just tore up my hand not my head. After I got out of emergency room I almost didn't go back to the shop but you can bet your life I was more careful after that. Just my 2 cents

• Like 5

Wayne, you have been adequately advised. Not a job for someone who hasn’t done it before. Yes we all learned how to do it from probably doing it wrong and unsafe. There are going to be stories of people doing it and it not ending well. Take Joe up on his offer and be back home in a few hours. With new springs. 

• Like 7
  • Thank You! 2

Years ago, I watched the local suspension/alignment expert install front springs on a Monte. He was all business and made it look simple & easy. I don't remember how he got them out, but for installation I do remember him using the lift arm to compress the spring by dropping the weight of the car down on it. He'd then simply put these Moog T-476 straps on the compressed spring, raise the car back up and then proceed to install them in the car.

I always read about chaining them down, etc, so I asked him about that. He said he never had any issues with the straps popping off, and there's a guy who probably did thousands of them in his lifetime.

Ultimately, it wasn't an auto related mishap that ended his life, it was his wife that stabbed him to death.

coil spring hooks.JPG

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

With a tire iron ???

Or a really big screwdriver ??

I use a 3 foot Snap-On prybar.

20240103_164115.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I found a much better and heavier internal spring compressor. When I get it I will post a picture  no comparison to the one I showed earlier. With it I feel that I can do it safely. I want to do it at home because I want to clean up and paint the control arms. And take my time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Years ago, I watched the local suspension/alignment expert install front springs on a Monte. He was all business and made it look simple & easy. I don't remember how he got them out, but for installation I do remember him using the lift arm to compress the spring by dropping the weight of the car down on it. He'd then simply put these Moog T-476 straps on the compressed spring, raise the car back up and then proceed to install them in the car.

I always read about chaining them down, etc, so I asked him about that. He said he never had any issues with the straps popping off, and there's a guy who probably did thousands of them in his lifetime.

Ultimately, it wasn't an auto related mishap that ended his life, it was his wife that stabbed him to death.

coil spring hooks.JPG

That's the way we used to do ford mid sized fronts. I used to like do chevette springs no compressor needed and they broke all the time. I had a Plymouth horizon in one day both left springs were broke it was a rather large women she asked how that could happen, I didn't have the heart to tell her 🤣 oh the stories from back in the day glad them days are over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Whons said:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I found a much better and heavier internal spring compressor. When I get it I will post a picture  no comparison to the one I showed earlier. With it I feel that I can do it safely. I want to do it at home because I want to clean up and paint the control arms. And take my time. 

Please be careful and take any and all safety precautions. Keep the paper towels and electrical tape handy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Please be careful and take any and all safety precautions. Keep the paper towels and electrical tape handy. 

And maybe a needle and thread.  Keep your cell phone handy with 911 on speed dial

rob

• Like 2

Wayne if you dont have the time to go to Joe's shop (understand why). Just be careful and go slow until you get the feel for it as your first time. Make sure there is nothing on the side or front of the car that could get hit or hurt!!!   Good Luck and be careful!!! You can do it!!!

• Like 5

I drove 2 1/2 hours one way to install a set of front springs for a friend. He was scared to death to attempt the job. He was even standing back as I loaded the spring onto the compressor. We traded time spent for parts. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I drove 2 1/2 hours one way to install a set of front springs for a friend. 

I have plenty of work here if you want to take a ride...😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I drove 2 1/2 hours one way to install a set of front springs for a friend. He was scared to death to attempt the job. He was even standing back as I loaded the spring onto the compressor. We traded time spent for parts. 

Time for parts always works for me! Lol

• Like 4

It's already been said but if you do it on your own, go slow and don't stand (or sit) in the path of the spring in case it comes out with force, which it can do even with the little bit of tension remaining once the lower control arm is lowered. I've done the job a couple of times. It's not fun but doable at home if you take your time and think it through. The guys here are great about answering questions so don't be afraid to reach out if you aren't sure about something.

• Like 6