Reference Books on First Generation Monte Carlo

I am also a member of the NCRS and have many publications on 1968 Corvettes. I just got a 1971 SS Monte Carlo and would like to educate myself on dates and numbers. Any suggestions? NCRS has a judging manual that is extremely helpful.

Dale CarlsonĀ 

Nothing Monte specific. There are a couple of Chevelle restoration books that I have which do include some Monte specs/numbers. I can get the titles of them if you want.

We also have a good amount of info right here on the site in the 'Resources' section.

Congratulations on the new purchase and hopefully you'll check in here more often, and also consider becoming a full dues-paying member.

Oh, we like pictures here too, so post up some of your new car when you get a chance.

• Like 6

Congratulations on your purchase! As mentioned, no publications that are Monte Carlo specific. Chevrolet by the numbers has some information. Also our evolving resources section has a good amount of info to decode your car.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/resourcespage/

• Like 6

Congratulations on the new SS. If you can't find it in print, there are a bunch of knowledgeable people on the site. It's the best 25.00 a year a Monte owner can spend. Good luck with your Monte

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

We also have a good amount of info right here on the site in the 'Resources' section.

Ā 

Oh, we like pictures here too, so post up some of your new car when you get a chance.

Also the forum search feature, altho sometimes a tad bit extensive has lots of info/experiences of what people have gone through with stock and upgrades on their Monte'sĀ 

• Like 5

I recommend purchasing the factory service manual and the factory assembly manual. A Chevrolet parts manual covering the 65-75 models is also helpful.

• Like 4

David

Thanks, and I did get those two manuals. Great reference books. Do you know of any books about interesting facts or details about the first-generation cars. That picture is when I bought it. It is now in pieces and that is why I need information so badly, to put it together again, correctly.Ā 

Monte Carlo 1.JPEG

9 minutes ago, Dale Carlson said:

David

Ā It is now in pieces and that is why I need information so badly, to put it together again, correctly.Ā 

Monte Carlo 1.JPEG

Dale,

Congratulations on your SS purchase.Ā  Please give us some details on your new purchase....Ā  Please just hit us with your questions of anything you can't find in a book.Ā  We have a number of members who took theirs apart and built them back from the ground up.

rob

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Dale Carlson said:

I am also a member of the NCRS and have many publications on 1968 Corvettes. I just got a 1971 SS Monte Carlo and would like to educate myself on dates and numbers. Any suggestions? NCRS has a judging manual that is extremely helpful.

Dale CarlsonĀ 

I do plan on joining FGMCC. I have made contact with Jared from YouTube with some questions.

6 minutes ago, Dale Carlson said:

I do plan on joining FGMCC.Ā 

This link may point you in the right direction, but contact Rob or myself and we'll help you in any way possible if you have trouble.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/membership/joinpage/

• Like 1

Welcome! Ā As already stated, thereā€™s damn near limitless knowledge here.

I hope now that itā€™s in pieces, you decide to throw out six of them. Ā Yeahā€¦ Iā€™m talking about those body side moldings šŸ˜‚

All kidding aside, welcome to a great site. Ā More pix are always appreciated and enjoyed.Ā 

• Like 2

Welcome Dale!!!Ā  Ā Beautiful car!!!Ā  Ā Any time you have a question just ask away!!Ā  There are plenty of people with an extreme amount of knowledge on our cars that would love to help with your questions!!!Ā  We do not have much in the way of publications but over the years the club documents everything that's known to be true/fact and puts it in the archives for future. I see you are planning to become a member, that's fantastic!! We are here to help. So don't be afraid to ask!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glen said:

I hope now that itā€™s in pieces, you decide to throw out six of them. Ā Yeahā€¦ Iā€™m talking about those body side moldings šŸ˜‚

All kidding aside, welcome to a great site. Ā More pix are always appreciated and enjoyed.Ā 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Welcome Dale!!!Ā  Ā Beautiful car!!!Ā  Ā Any time you have a question just ask away!!Ā  There are plenty of people with an extreme amount of knowledge on our cars that would love to help with your questions!!!Ā  We do not have much in the way of publications but over the years the club documents everything that's known to be true/fact and puts it in the archives for future. I see you are planning to become a member, that's fantastic!! We are here to help. So don't be afraid to ask!!!

Ā 

10 hours ago, Glen said:

Glen

I hadn't planned on putting them back on. I like the clean look but would put them back on if they are a desirable dealer option and if it makes the car more marketable. They were not an option on my build sheet, so not judged correct in the vette universe. Before shot of rebuild.

IMG_8806.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Dale Carlson said:

Ā 

Glen

I hadn't planned on putting them back on. I like the clean look but would put them back on if they are a desirable dealer option and if it makes the car more marketable. They were not an option on my build sheet, so not judged correct in the vette universe. Before shot of rebuild.

IMG_8806.jpeg

Ā Very nice. The proof is quite visible.Ā 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ā 

37 minutes ago, Dtret said:

How could I determine my build date? From the build sheet?

IMG_8805.jpeg

See my prior post as there wasn't enough room for two photos. Maybe build date came from that door sticker. It's bent at the bottom right corner where date probably is. It's getting painted right now, but I did tell them not to paint over the tag. Hope they don't break off that corner.

IMG_8904.jpeg

Top left corner of build sheet. June 16th. Your body tag should have a code 06C for 3rd week of June on it. The blue sticker has 06-71 for June of 1971.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dale Carlson said:

Ā 

How could I determine my build date? From the build sheet?

IMG_8805.jpeg

Like Aaron said top left yours was built a month after mine same plant but sent to a different dealer mine went to long beach.

20240309_122702.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Dale i noticed that the car doesn't have the G67 auto level compressor. Do you still have it?Ā  I know they are hard to find parts for.Ā  One of the needles in the hay stack.Ā Ā 

Here are some magazines with articles on the 70 Monte Carlo SS, these can sometimes be found on ebay or Amazon:

'

Special Interest Autos, June 1991

Car Life,Feb. 1970

Motor Trend, Nov. 1969

11 hours ago, Dale Carlson said:

See my prior post as there wasn't enough room for two photos. Maybe build date came from that door sticker. It's bent at the bottom right corner where date probably is. It's getting painted right now, but I did tell them not to paint over the tag. Hope they don't break off that corner.

Ā 

Unless you're really attached to that beat up old sticker, there are quality reproductions that have the correct VIN, date & font.

They can be found at the link below. Best bet is to call them up. I got mine from there & completely happy (My sticker was in a little better shape than yours, but still thought it would look better overall with a nice, new sticker.)

https://ecsauto.com/collections/general-motors/products/vin-data-decal-1969-72-gm-vehicles

Also, like Aaron pointed out, tell them the date to put on the decal will be 06-71.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Dale i noticed that the car doesn't have the G67 auto level compressor. Do you still have it?Ā  I know they are hard to find parts for.Ā  One of the needles in the hay stack.Ā Ā 

Yes, off the car and not the correct one, I don't think. I'll post a picture later.