What's your opinion on this re-chromed bumper?

1Bad454

The lady told me that this is residue from the chroming process and can be scuffed off.. The front looks really nice. What are your thoughts?

00808_b7MwMbeFVPn_0CI0sU_1200x900.jpg

00f0f_7QoLmXrunse_0CI0sU_1200x900.jpg

I've seen that on bumpers that come out of the tanks. Try buffing it off.

• Like 2

She is wrong about residue from the chrome process.

In preparing the bumper to be chromed the entire bumper is stripped.  Only the front, exposed area is plated.  The rear is usually left with a light coating of something from the process.  When I had my rear bumper rechromed I painted the rear of it to avoid the rust like is on the one you pictured.

The one you pictured should be able to ve sanded, primed and painted.

rob

• Like 4

Oh ok I got it now, the first pic is the inside I was thinking that was the outside and I'd be sending it back. I guess I should put my glasses on lol. Like Rob said maybe paint the inside to be safe. Outside looks great.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jft69z said:

I've seen that on bumpers that come out of the tanks. Try buffing it off.

5 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Oh ok I got it now, the first pic is the inside I was thinking that was the outside and I'd be sending it back. I guess I should put my glasses on lol. Like Rob said maybe paint the inside to be safe. Outside looks great.

I must have misunderstood too. When my bumpers & some parts came out of the tank, there was a brownish residue on the outside surface. They simply used some type of polishing rouge and a big wheel & it shined right up (I was there when the owner did it).

The inside of yours looks like flakes of rust possibly? 

• Like 2

It looks like there was no prep on the back side. I’ve had stuff come back with some minor flaking but no rust. I’ve always sanded or wire wheeled then  painted mine either satin black or silver because otherwise they will  eventually rust back there anyway.

I’m also confused… I’m assuming that the first picture is the backside of the front bumper BEFORE replating?

Second pic the face of the front bumper AFTER replating?

Cuz that first pic definitely looks like rust in several spots. 

• Like 2

Sorry guys. I am looking to potentially purchase this rechromed bumper for $400. It's from a shop that closed down 5 years ago. They are selling all of their stock on hand. This is their last Monte Carlo bumper. The first picture is of the back of the bumper and the second is the front. The lady I spoke with who is selling everything on behalf of the old shop owner told me that what I'm seeing is residue from the process and can be scuffed off. I'd like some opinions on what you all think. 

P.S. I still have my original bumper but it has a minor ding in it also my back bumper has a dent and tear in it too. I've heard so many bad stories about aftermarket bumpers that I thought that it would be better to stick with the original.  

• Like 6

A wire wheel on a 4 ½" hand grinder will clean it up.  If I had it, I'd do that and whatever else needed to clean up the backside and paint it silver. Good to go. 

Dan 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, overdrive said:

A wire wheel on a 4 ½" hand grinder will clean it up.  If I had it, I'd do that and whatever else needed to clean up the backside and paint it silver. Good to go. 

Dan 

Turns out that the bumper in the picture was just a sample picture. The one I bought was nicer in the back. I'll be showing it on my next YouTube channel episode. 😎  

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 12:15 PM, 1Bad454 said:

Turns out that the bumper in the picture was just a sample picture. The one I bought was nicer in the back. I'll be showing it on my next YouTube channel episode. 😎  

Good hopefully it's the 71 Monte version not 70 chevelle like that picture 

Screenshot_20240401_224749_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

Good catch there Jared!! I was thinking the same thing. I have to get a new front bumper for my Monte. The engine for my ( dare I say) '88 Fiero Formula, made a scratch in mine. Broke my wrist for it though, so now I'm thinking about shortening it up like they did in NASCAR back in the day. Thoughts?gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg

• Like 1

Wow I just saw your comments. Thank you gentlemen for pointing that out I just tried sticking my lenses in the openings and they seem to fit okay. 😅

On 3/16/2024 at 9:21 AM, cny first gen 71 said:

me too! i thought that was the  front...  and it was like when Dennis  was selling that "rust free" body shell...if it was dormant stock and not going to a customer  i guess its ok ,but in the interest of good workmanship and attention to detail  i would wonder why the back would have been left so rough if it had been just dropped off for rechrome... but then again the only thing chrome is my "chrome dome" so maybe the back surface is not their concern?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blake350 said:

me too! i thought that was the  front...  and it was like when Dennis  was selling that "rust free" body shell...if it was dormant stock and not going to a customer  i guess its ok ,but in the interest of good workmanship and attention to detail  i would wonder why the back would have been left so rough if it had been just dropped off for rechrome... but then again the only thing chrome is my "chrome dome" so maybe the back surface is not their concern?   

Brian, I still have that body. I didn’t get any takers. I can’t imagine why. lol. 😂 

• Like 1