What did you do to your Monte today?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent 40 minutes rinsing mud/gravel out of my 72 Monte. mad

I went to an event at a local winery with a gravel driveway on Friday. We had a lot of rain during the day before the event so iit was pretty mucky there. It was all in the wheel wells, rockers, rear bumper etc. I could not beleive how much came out when I rinsed the car. It gets in every little nook. The good thing is, it's all clean now. smile

Went to a swap meet today. I spotted an NOS "Monte Carlo" script for the rear of the car (70/71 Monte) for $20. It was not in the box so there is no way to tell if it was really NOS but still in great shape and a good price. I passed on it since I really did not need it. I found some door handles for the outside of the car in very nice shape with no pits. They were only $5 a pair so I could not refuse as they are in better shape than the ones on my 70. I passed on a few other things that I'd like to have but just not in the car budget right now.

And I thought this was just plain cool..it was a lil rough around the edges, but cool

The owner says only 500 were made, 1960 Biscayne

154738_3406705804913_1187954838_32682230

That "Biscey" is cool. I saw a black 61 at a car show one year. It turned everyone's head when in drive in. It was black and gorgeous. Kind-of looked like a mini bat mobile.

As far as the Monte, finally started my girl for the first time this year. Runs like a champ. Very happy. - Dave

Got the new fuel pump installed and now have to go and get my 3rd fuel line. The first one I bent without the nut, the second without the nut but still had the other end. Bent it for the downward stroke toward fuel pump and the the second bend was backwards. So the third is the charm I hope but that won't happen til tomorrow. The honey do list got in the road for the rest of today. LOL LOL

I found a NOS rear trunk emblem for $50 at Carlisle as well as a nice clutch fan for $40. I did see a couple first gens there, one for sale and I caught a pic of. I did see a hood spear for a 71 as well but I didnt need it. The guy was offering headlight chrome bezels for $200. One looked very good the second had slight pitting. Was that a good deal?

I replaced both lower ball joints today. She drives much better. I will be replacing both upper ball joints in a few days. Should be nice and tight after that.

Rick

Just a couple of cosmetic things today. New side mirrors, rear view mirror, exhaust tips and grille badge emblem. Looking to work on suspension next.

Replaced my grill badge/emblem with one from OPG. I was also thinking of painting the knights on my parking lights. Has anyone done this before?

Replaced my grill badge/emblem with one from OPG. I was also thinking of painting the knights on my parking lights. Has anyone done this before?

You are not the first to think about it....If I was just a bit...ok alot.. more talented mine would be done already

Found a Rally Center for my spare. Only cost me $5, it is not perfect but for $5 I am not complaining. It will work till I find a better one or I could take one off of the car and switch it with this one. The spare will be more closely looked at when the trunk is opened at the car shows. Here are a couple of pix, one before and one after. smile

http://www.firstgenmc.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=650

Now all I need to find is a smooth Rally Trim Ring. I think all the smooth ones are after market?

Looks great Larry. How did you repaint the black so perfectly? Did you tape it off first? I have 4 NOS ones that I'm saving for the time being. I would like to just keep using the old ones for now and paint some fresh black on them. That's a good idea to have one on your spare and it will look great at the shows. I'm going to get one of those hard black plastic spare tire covers for mine and put a tribute to my late Uncle on it. That's on my to-do list. smile

I've seen a 72 Monte like that and thought it was a little too much in my opinion. Since there is already an emblem on the grille, it seems kind of redundant to have them on the lights too making 3 in total on the front of the car. I guess if you try it and don't like it you can always get a new set of lenses.

Thank you for the kind words Larry. That is about 2 hours of taping. I sure am glad the ones on the car are already done. It was very tedious and time consuming for sure.

Hmmmm......I have a painter with a very steady hand......she's 12 and would paint all 4 of them for $10 and a chocolate bar. I'll do the taping first.

I just had her do the black on the grill I'm refurbishing and she did a great job free hand. smile

Hmmmm......I have a painter with a very steady hand......she's 12 and would paint all 4 of them for $10 and a chocolate bar. I'll do the taping first.

I just had her do the black on the grill I'm refurbishing and she did a great job free hand. smile

Now don't go getting her all this work she will be too busy to do mine lol

I have seen the handy work and I think she and I need to talk as her AGENT I think we need to raise her rates some eh DAD wink

We will do lunch and discuss it...... kicking

And watch out pretty soon YOU won't be able to afford her grin

Scott

Finally decided to start it for the first time this year. Fired up pretty quick. I was tempted to take it out but it looked like rain and sure enough a half hour later it was raining.