What did you do to your Monte today?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been accomplishing a lot on mine on a nightly basis for a few months now. Undercarraige was stripped to bare metal, sealed and chassis blacked and the body is getting its final wet sanding as we speak at Steve's. Powdercoated chassis is complete with rebuilt engine tranny and rear, stainless lines and many suspension goodies at my house. I know you guys..... no pics ... didn't happen but I have no idea how to post pics here. Photo hosting and all that is beyond me.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE !!!

After five years, my body will be reunited with my chassis this Saturday @ 1pm

.......the following Saturday paint will be applied at a local shop that is nice enough to give us access to his down draft spray booth with warmers. It is set up for water borne paint so it is top notch. (We're sticking with two-stage)

Just a little anxious!

Dan

That is pretty good Chris it went form being a Monte Carlo under Tarp to a Rusty Bucket Gran Prix. I am sure I do not want one of those tarp any where near my place. I can just see my Kubota turning into a Deere. Oh No Mr Bill.

I’ve been waiting to write something on this post for a long time.

“WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOU MONTE TODAY”? Answer: I started it up and let it run for 10 minutes. That may not seem like much to most of you but it’s the first time I’ve seen the car since September 12th 2010.

Due to lack of space, I can't keep the car at my house so I store it at friend’s house 35 miles away. It’s been sitting there covered up in his garage for 437 days.

Here’s the good part. I put the battery cable on, pumped the gas 3 times, hit the key, and she fired right up. No jumper cables, no starting fluid, just started up like it was on the road yesterday. I wasn’t expecting that. The original clock started working too. Good ol'e Chebby.

I think I’ll be bringing her home and putting a few miles on it this summer.

Started on the cowl and windshield channel repairs.

Cowl before:

photobucket-4121-1331672205244.jpg

photobucket-3805-1331672203157.jpg

After:

photobucket-3379-1331672203682.jpg

Another are of the cowl that I did not get a before pic. Had to replace part of the panel underneath too.

photobucket-4071-1331672204235.jpg

An ugly repair to part of the upper channel.

photobucket-4435-1331672204744.jpg

If I can't clean that up better I may redo it.

And beginning on the drivers side top corner:

photobucket-3788-1331672202648.jpg

photobucket-3365-1331672202163.jpg

That's where I'm at for today. Have to take my daughter to pageant practice. She is going to be in the National American Miss Pageant again this year...

Brings back memories (bad ones) grin Nice to see less holes huh? My windshield channel gave me issues too, trying to just tack up the holes, every time I got it close, I blew an even bigger hole into it, it was a learning experience to say the least.

Nice work!

Thanks. I've waited to tackle this after I had gotten somewhat better at my welding and fabrication skills. Once I finish the window channel I have some work to do on the tailpanel weather stripping channel and truck opening gap and that would finish the metal work. smile

Spent a few hours in the garage tonight. I got my quarter window back in the 72 and aligned properly. Once that was done I put the interior back together.

I got new set of rubber strips for the bumper guards a few days ago for my birthday so I worked on thost also. I pulled the rear bumper guards off both Montes. The ones that were on the 72 were nicer so I put the new rubber on those and installed them on the 70. I chose the best two remaining rubber strips and put them on the other bumper guards for the 72. I'll be working on the front bumper guards tomorrow. smile

Monte has been out a couple times this winter, however it is going to be (and has been) in the 70's and reaching 80 degrees all week this week into early next week. I'm off work due to my work schedule from now until Sunday. I'll be out all over driving it around. I also need to get estimates on new exhaust.

Thanks--Troy

Spent some more time last night working on the windshield channel:

photobucket-3695-1331781219718.jpg

And tacked into place:

photobucket-3414-1331781220216.jpg

photobucket-3355-1331781217643.jpg

As you can see I have some more I'll have to replace in the center top section and that will about finish the windshield area repairs. I have some industrial metal epoxy type stuff that I will use around the entire area like filler that should fill any small holes or small gaps.

Steve

Got more work done tonight. The 1970 front bumper guards now have new rubber and upgraded the 72 rubber with the ones that came off the 70. It sure feels nice to spend some time in the garage on the cars.

Old ones on the new rims (245x60x15)

Nice any rubbing issues or modifications needed so they didn't?

I have 8" rallies and these:

DSCN0921.jpg

Lots of room but not sure if I'd have any with these but looks GREAT.

Thanks

Scott

Scott I had rubbing issues with the 15x8 with 4" backspacing ralleys on the rear after adding disc brakes to the rear. The new ones are 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing and no rubbing issues yet. The extra backspacing moved them in a little.

bf933d9c.jpg

switched out my 12 bolt single leg diff unit for a posi unit. Put a hidden kill switch on and new rear shocks and poly bushings in upper and lower arms. Took it out today and really love getting more power to the ground. I was punching it with the 467 with single leg and getting a 100ft black mark. Substantial decline in length now. Next is taking it to track just to see