What did you do to your Monte Carlo today?

Got the interior insulation started, just enough to get my AC/heater box mounted under dash & engine compartment firewall. Will be finishing insulation/sound deading at a later date prior to installing carpet, just needed to this little bit done to keep the snowball "UNROLLING" or is it "MELTING". Yep, my snowball is getting smaller these days. yay Next on my list is to finish this off, hook up the rest of my AC lines & heater hoses then get started on installing complete new wiring harnesses with modern upgrades.

IMG_20130127_150207_zpse92a460a.jpg

IMG_20130127_160959_zps022ac5b3.jpg

IMG_20130127_161104_zps7a31fdc3.jpg

IMG_20130127_161135_zps987dd16c.jpg

IMG_20130127_165056_zps95731cb7.jpg

IMG_20130127_165105_zps62464e33.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove my Monte to the monthly Swap Meet at Muscle Car City early this morning. What a joy - another gorgeous day and the Monte has never run better since I've owned it!

Installing a late '70s HEI a couple weeks ago simply transformed the car. It starts much quicker, idles smoother (and 200 rpm lower), accelerates smoothly without pinging and, best of all, it no longer "diesels" when I shut it off. smile

I still plan to take it to a professional shop to have the distributor curved (no idea what it came off of or if the weights, springs and vacuum can are right for my engine).

Yesterday, I installed a 1970 clutch fan (PN 3947772) that I found on eBay. The date code is E 70 (May, 1970) and it was supposedly used on Chevelles and Novas that year. It was claimed by the seller to be correct for 1970 Monte Carlos, also, but I haven't yet found documented proof of that. At any rate, I cleaned and repainted it and it looks and works just fine. Wish I'd installed both the HEI and the clutch fan long ago.

P1264720.jpg

P1264725.jpg

Icing on the cake was a nice chrome Monte Carlo emblem (rear panel, not sail panel) I found at the swap meet this morning for $10. Life is good!

Got my AC/heater box installed on firewall, straightened out some fuel line routing issues, completed hooking up AC lines, still need to cut & finish off heater hose lines, installed temp gauge sending unit, looked at my new gas tank in disgust, not happy with it at all.

Installed a 70 part & a 71 part on my car, can you find them?

Anyone ever notice the more crap you start putting on the uglier things start looking? I liked the clean look with just the engine by itself sitting there.

Making spagetti

IMG_20130129_234538_zpsfc3e43a2.jpg

IMG_20130129_234607_zps1b1c3909.jpg

IMG_20130129_235929_zpsded6fa5d.jpg

IMG_20130129_234735_zps7d989419.jpg

IMG_20130129_234759_zpsc7ec72e6.jpg

Nice work. I was checking your photobucket library what a transformation..what brand is the roof skin? The heater valve would be the 71 item.. wink

Hey Rod, its been a lot of work, all the hard stuff is done & the end is near. Should be smooth sailing from here on out. The roof skin I used was made by Dynacorn, 70-72 Chevelle. Fit great just had to trim some excess Chevelle metal off at sail panel to match the Monte seam. No complaints with that piece at all, great quality, fit & finish. Very easy to remove & replace a roof on these cars. Picked it up at a local National Parts Depot for $400. Good thing they reproduce Chevelle parts, if they were smart they'd market these to the Monte guys with a footnote that says minor modifications necessary.

Fine work Sam! cool

Thanks guys for all the compliments & incouragement, everybody here is great & keeps me motivated. I have gained much knowledge, been assisted with help and like to hope I have helped others here myself. What a great site and group of people.

Current goal is to drive mine to Carlisle, I will see you all there Monte or not. Thanks everyone, Cory smile

Got angry with my car today. After thoroughly cleaning, inspecting, reconditioning, & detailing every component of my AC system everything checked out ok & looked great. Recently been installing everything piece by piece, got it finished up, performed a simple vacuum test & I have a leak mad. Replaced all the O-rings too. Determined to find the culprit this evening. Sometimes it like you take one step forward & three steps back, aaaaahhhhh!

I did however get my heater hoses connected smile.

IMG_20130131_223103_zps6291f3df.jpg

IMG_20130131_223143_zpsb2e47635.jpg

IMG_20130131_223036_zps4fa8f28f.jpg

Leak! Yikes!! on the upside, one would hope it's not in the evaporator, although if it were, you have plenty of room for evappendectomy. grin She is coming out beautiful.

Ya Rod, I really dont want to pull the evaporator back out, at this point that would be a real PITA. But thats why Im getting all the mechanical bugs worked out prior to paint & final assembly, so much easier without the front sheetmetal on the car. Sometimes the little things can be such a pain!

Good news is I just found my leak - condenser, bad news is its another expense. Not sure if it can be repaired I can't even see where it coming from, buried internally left front upper. Guess I might be upgrading to a modern more efficient condenser, might work out to be a good thing. No other leaks detected.

Got the body off the frame and on some stands so I can get to work on the frame...clean it up..paint it up and get the new body bushings in there..this darn snow ball jus keeps on rolling

2013-02-01161602_zpsdad55aa5.jpg

2013-02-01161533_zps22530f69.jpg