front end conversion

RSF

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what others have noted and have posted everything front of the firewall is different. The fenders rad support etc all were unique to the 70 so while it CAN be done it is not simply put on a new grille and bumper.

But some may have already done it and chime in here.

Scott

Your better off searching & buying a 1970 that your happy with, than making this conversion, just my opinion. You would have quite an expense swapping parts around, body & paint, etc.

So what about 72 to 71? Or are all three too different?

That swap is easier than the swap to a 70 front end.

You will need a 71 grille, 71 bumper, 71 fender extensions and wiring for the parking lights in the 71 bumper. I think that's all. It is still an expensive swap and does not add value to the car if you sell at a later date. Might actually make it worth less.

I also prefer the 71 front end to the 72 but I'm going to keep my 72 how it is. I personally would not do this swap since I have to explain to every person that sees it and says "Nice 71 Monte" that it is a 72. Seems awkward to me.

I can be done. But you have to butcher the radiator support to move the headlights inward a few inches. When I bought my '70. It was in an accident back in the early '90's and they must of had a '72 parts car to take the parts from. so they made my '70 look like a '72. they used the whole front clip, interior door and rear panels and rear '72 trim above the rear bumper. I bought the fender extentions and grill from Leo. It can be done, but if you want it done right, like others have said, Find a 1970 parts car. I am in the process of changing my all back to the '70 sheet metal. I have just redid my '70 radiator support to install, and and picked up some other parts from members here to change everything back. Good luck in your process if you do change it. I prefer the '70-'71 frontend over the '72.

Man there's some 72 bashing going on here! bleh If you do decide to convert it I would gladly buy all the ugly 72 parts you don't need smile

Sorry Cory. cry I dont mean to pick on the '72.

Well we all know the 71 front end is the best smile You just cant beat the rectangular turn signals and that purty grill.

Yep, the only thing purtier is the '72 front end! cool

Sorry but in ranking the three years, #1 71 then #2 72 then #3 70.

The ft end was perfect in 71 then they had to mess with it.

Bruce

Ok then, my list goes like this smile

1 - 72 Monte

96 - 78 Diesel Chevette

97 - Pacer

98 - Gremlin

99 - 71 Monte

100 - 70 Monte

Guess I will join that other club -

Last of the First Generation Monte Carlo Club (LFGMCC) aka the ugly 72's

Come on how can you guys really say this is ugly? smile

72MONTE001.jpg

Maybe your just not seeing its inner beauty? laugh

72MONTE023.jpg

By numbers my Monte was built in 1970, When I bought it I knew it had been wrecked the guy who sold it told me he had put a 71 rad support and a 71 fender. he also told me all the 71 parts were in the trunk. So having all the parts on hand i decided to convert it to a 71.

This is how I found it.

checkout1v.jpg

This is it now. Ignore the bumper that was an old off a chevelle

dscf0867v.jpg