First SS454 production car.

Nasblu

I am just curious if anyone has any idea as to when (or is the cars actual VIN# known) of the first production SS454 Monte Carlo made in 1970. My 1970 SS Monte Carlo was built the 2nd week of Sept 1969. When did the 1970 Monte Carlo Production start and did all the plants start at the same time?

Not sure that information was ever available, but yours must be one of the earliest.  Which plant built it and what was the sequence number (should be a hand-written number in the upper left corner of your build sheet)?  Mine was built in Van Nuys on 10/16/69 as sequence number 2312.

Maybe GM customer service can tell you?? I have an 88 monte ss got a letter from GM built last day of production in Pontiac mich 12/07/87 one of 297 radio delete option of all G bodies made for yr 1988. has 23k original miles. Bob

Yes Bill there was a strike. I ordered my 1970 Monte on Sept 20th two days after release. It took 10 weeks to get it and it was built in the Van Nuys plant. I do not know the build date or Production number because I sold it car 13 months after purchase to avoid making car payments to one of my best friends.

If I remember correctly, Re-tooling time at GM was the 3 and 4 week of June where they started production change for the new years cars and also parts as well that went with the body style change from the previous years car. Seeing how The Monte started in 1970 but shared the same Parts as the now re modeled 1970 Chevelle that GM had 1970 chevelle parts on the go and were the same for the Monte Carlo with the exception of obvious differences.The Monte Carlo was being assembled at the same time as the 1970 chevelle and there have been pictures out there of assembly plants that show chevelles and Montes in the same production line up and I thought I had read somehwere that the earliest Monte Carlo was the 2 or 3rd week of August.

Darren

So any of you have the 390 HP 454 in the 70?  Later RJD

the 390 HP 454 is the exact same engine as the 360 hp engine, different exhaust and intake manifolds, they rated the horse power at different RPM's

• 2 weeks later...

Where did ya come up with 360 hp all after the 390 are rated at 365hp.  There where other mods than mentoned for the 390 if I recall.   Later RJD

in 1970 the 454 LS5 was rated at 360 hp

in 1971 it was rated at 365 hp

and the 360hp and the 390 hp LS5's are the same engines, both are also refereed to as LS5

same cam, same heads, same pistons, same carburetor, low rise intake for the corvette, different exhaust manifolds for the corvette too (for the factory side pipes)

GM won't let the Chevelle have same/more horsepower than the Corvette, as I said before, they just rated it at different RPM's

although a few 390 hp engines made there way into some impalas and caprices, is was just slight of hand by GM

I know it doesn't makes sense, esp when the 1971 454 was rated at 365 hp yet the compression was dropped to 8.5:1, again showing how GM manipulated the horse power numbers, the 1970 LS5 454 was really under rated

we have had this asked once or twice before in the last couple of years. I do remember as mentioned before that it had been said that when the strike happened there were engines sitting around and cars waiting for engines but with the strike on and pickets being crossed like in Oshawa that to finish of the cars almost done to still send out to be sold they started using the engines they had left. Oshawa ended putting in what was believed to be 18 LS5's rated at 390 horse into chevelles that were made at that plant as thats what they had left. I believe Vaughn and I had read that in some paperwork I still had from back in the day when we were also trying to figure out how Kevin ended up with a M21 in his 70 green 4spd car. we came to the conclussion the same thing happened there, to get Richards old 4spd out the door which Kevin now owns that GM may have done the same thing there as well and used left over trannys to get cars out the door and Maybe just Maybe there is a 70SS monte canadian built LS5 thats a 390hp out there. Who knows also there were Montes and chevelles out there that ended up with CE blocks in them and the owners swear their cars had the original engine in it which they do but the same thing back in the strike they used warranty engines as well and stuck those in cars that were  CE blocks. I chased a green 70 ss monte canadian made over in Nova Scotia Canada that was all numbers matching and had what was believed to be the original engine in it and it was a CE block or warranty one, but it slipped through my fingers and I ended up with as most know here a 70 chevelle ss that was Gobi Beige instead.  wish I could find that 70 ss monte again...

Darren. 

Mine was delivered Oct 69...  unfortunately, I can't help with the sequence number as the build sheet that I retrieved from under the rear seat belonged to the 350 car immediately before it in line.   I found the sheet a week after purchasing the car, and when I saw the 350 engine designated, I about went through the sealing, as the car had been represented as a true numbers matching SS. 

Luckily I spent another hour examining every detail on the sheet before reaching for a gun to go after the seller...   only then did I catch the discrepancy in the last of the VIN number.

• 2 weeks later...

I went and looked at an "ss454" about 8 years ago, it was a solid car, he was wanting I think 4000 or so but no engine or trans. I crawled into the trunk and seen a build sheet hanging from the rear seat spring, it said 350 300 horsepower, which proved it not an ss, I didn't even tell him it wasnt a real ss Lol. Now I would have explained what I found, I do wonder If he ever looked at the build sheet.

But did you check the VIN on the sheet? It's not uncommon to have the wrong build sheet in a car. My SS had 2 sheets. One was for a 350 car built just a few dozen cars ahead of mine.

Dan

But did you check the VIN on the sheet? It's not uncommon to have the wrong build sheet in a car. My SS had 2 sheets. One was for a 350 car built just a few dozen cars ahead of mine.

Dan

I was thinking the same thing. At least 4 build sheets have been found in my car. At least one of them was for a completely different Monte Carlo.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

The 360 and the 390 are not the same.  There where differences may be slight but according to my memory I never saw one with the sticker relating to a 360.  Later RJD

• 3 weeks later...

No, did not think to do that at that time. I would now. But the car DID NOT have a Sway Bar or shock protectors hanging down, all of which even though I would have noticed or stuck out. The car looked pretty unmolested and it was very solid. It did have a 12 bolt, and you could tell it hadn't ever been messed with, except the engine/trans.