Z28 rims for my 70 Monte

On 8/31/2023 at 6:14 PM, MC1of80 said:

If I remember correctly, the z28 /71-72 Chevelle SS rims were painted to match the car. 

That came later. 77 was the first year.   I like the change.  Personal I see to many "corrvette" rallies.

image_2023-11-12_083027540.png

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

My father worked at a Chevrolet dealership in the early 70s and I can remember the lighter green mist being what seemed on every car. His 70 Impala demo was mist green. 

I know it is all personal preference and some people have their personal favorite colors when it comes to their First Gen Monte's. 

For the 70 Monte I purchased new from a dealer lot in September of 1970 was Desert Sand.  I  always loved that color.  That said, now one of my favorite 70 color's is Shadow Gray followed by Astro Blue and then Black Cherry.

For the 71 Monte's my favorite color is Classic Copper followed by Mulsanne Blue and Cranberry Red

For the 72 Monte's my favorite color is Midnight Bronze followed by Cranberry Red and Mulsanne Blue

I love the contrasting colors that a vinyl roof and Two-Tone paint provides but due to rust issues can cause without you even knowing it in advance I don't like vinyl roofs but would prefer the contrast that the two-tone option provides

Black cars are so amazing when they are clean but since they sometimes get dirty and the least bit of dirt shows on a black  car it doesn't rank very on my favorite lists.  While I love the dark green first gen Monte's the lighter green colors never did much for me.  If my first Monte had been a light green maybe a lighter green color may have been higher on my like list but for my preference the light green Monte's just don't rank very high.  That said, I love all first gen Monte's, no matter what they are dressed in.

rob

• Like 1

For me ,,the Monte Carlo has been a car that can stand the passage of time because of styling. 

It's a car that can evolve with each owner and be beautiful to it's beholder. Even in the junk yard they scream beauty. 

Ed C. 

1 hour ago, EVC said:

Anxious to see what Aaron decided on his wheels and updates on his new engine… 

Ed C

I haven’t taken the rims in to the blaster yet.  That might wait until spring as I have other projects on the go with both cars. I have some painting to do in the engine bay of the 70 Monte.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SSpev said:

That came later. 77 was the first year.   I like the change.  Personal I see to many "corrvette" rallies.

image_2023-11-12_083027540.png

Sorry, waited for someone else to answer, but alas, the 5 spoke factory rims used on the 71-72 Chevelle SS were FIRST seen on the 70 Camaro Z/28. 

On 11/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, MC1of80 said:

Sorry, waited for someone else to answer, but alas, the 5 spoke factory rims used on the 71-72 Chevelle SS were FIRST seen on the 70 Camaro Z/28. 

Correct but they where not body color.  They where dark grey.

One interesting thing with these style of rims is there are slight differences depending on the vintage. The middle section of the early style rims sticks out further and is flush with the trim ring. The later ones are not out as far exposing a little bit of the inside edge of the trim ring. The hole for the valve stem is also oval on the early style vs round on the later ones. I’m glad I checked mine before I blasted and painted them because one of them was the later style while the other three were the early style. Luckily a club member not too far from me had a set with the opposite problem (1 early style and 3 later style). We swapped rims and both of us now have a matching set of 4 rims.

Early style
IMG_1648.jpeg.8cb3cb4f33c28d10efa6be3db1b8f99e.jpeg

Later style
IMG_1651.jpeg.510af7ce14274ef200754df282a33b54.jpeg

• Like 6

Wheels can be and do funny things..

On my old 73 Cadillac Brougham I would occasionally lose a hubcap on one rim, After looking closely, the outer lip on that wheel was so slightly different that it was almost visually undetectable. I spent days searching the junkyards looking at 73 Cadillacs and finally found a matching rim on an old limo...

On my 63 Bonneville , I originally had 14" rims with stock spinner hubcaps.   If I hit a pothole or went into a hard left curve, the chances  were good that one would fly off into the weeds….

I used to keep a spare hubcap in the trunk until I switched over to the 15" wheels she has now.

Any one need a set of seven  1963 Bonneville hubcaps ?  

100_2442.JPG

1973 Broughm_2.jpg

313189_246685062044082_1219758865_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Canuck said:

Sandblasted, primered and painted

Good choice.

In my opinion , Wheels should never speak for themselves on a classic.

Your choice  should blend very well and make the car more interesting. 

IMG_08162.thumb.jpeg.4a84e6084624f76d28c60f29a5fa042d.jpeg

Contrary to popular beliefs here, My Monte is now receiving more compliments and attention because of the simplicity and look of the wheels.

IMG_0792 3.jpeg

IMG_0812.jpeg

IMG_0816 2.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I got tires mounted today and tried them on the 71. They look good.

IMG_2406.jpeg

IMG_2411.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2413.jpeg

• Like 10

I like them!

• Like 1