Z28 rims for my 70 Monte

I have a set of Z28 rims to put on my 70 Monte. They will be going out for sandblasting before I paint them but wondering the best colour of the rim to go with my car. Right now they are a darker silver than rally wheels. Here’s a photo of the wheel next to the car to get an idea of the look. I know I want some sort of silver or grey but trying to figure out if I should go lighter like argent/silver on rallys or if it should be darker.

Note this is not the tire I will be running. I will have raised white letter 255/60 tires on all 4.

IMG_1180.jpeg

maybe dark metallic grey like this

IMG_1181.jpeg.71a4f7d351731d5e1cfc509763f72c93.jpeg

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the z28 /71-72 Chevelle SS rims were painted to match the car. 

I don't feel painting to match you car will look good. My vote is for a darker gray or black. Although the grey, I feel looks better. 

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

6 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Personally, I think I like the rally's better, but that's just my 2 cents.

rob

Me too actually, but it's an easy swap if it doesn't look right. My first instinct when I see other cars with them on, is they're Camaro rims though.

• Like 1
  • Thank You! 1

GM came very close to offering these for 1970. Here’s a GM photo of a 1970 SS454. I speculate that these were cancelled fairly late and is why the SS454 photo in the 1970 brochure is a hub cap bench seat car with SS454 emblems on it. I think the below photo was intended for the brochure but had to do something different on short notice after the wheels were cancelled. Funny enough though they had an artist colour and retouch the photo with rally wheels and 71 SS trim for the 1971 brochure.

image.png.0ba38617e78a32c4c5567800acdc4b20.png 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Personally, I think I like the rally's better, but that's just my 2 cents.

rob

I like the rallys too but since I own two Montes (actually three currently) I thought it might be nice to have something different on one of them. If I only had one Monte it would definitely have rallys.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Me too actually, but it's an easy swap if it doesn't look right. My first instinct when I see other cars with them on, is they're Camaro rims though.

I’ve seen them on a few first gen Montes and I like the look.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I’ve seen them on a few first gen Montes and I like the look.

That's all that matters, if you like them 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jft69z said:

That's all that matters, if you like them 🙂

That is true,  very true.  I guess I am so used to seeing Aaron's car with rally's I can't picture it without them.

rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

GM came very close to offering these for 1970. Here’s a GM photo of a 1970 SS454. I speculate that these were cancelled fairly late and is why the SS454 photo in the 1970 brochure is a hub cap bench seat car with SS454 emblems on it. I think the below photo was intended for the brochure but had to do something different on short notice after the wheels were cancelled. Funny enough though they had an artist colour and retouch the photo with rally wheels and 71 SS trim for the 1971 brochure.

image.png.0ba38617e78a32c4c5567800acdc4b20.png 

Very interesting indeed. 

• Like 2

Just my 2 cents …

I say darker than dark grey.

Like closer to black.

As in neatly packaged and put away in storage somewhere and not on the car. 

Rallys or original hubcaps or bust  

• Thank You! 1

This is our original Monte..

My favorite wheels were from a 1969 442 olds. I painted the wheel to match the car…. The car and the wheels were a perfect visual match. If I could find another set, I'd paint the inserts to color match the car. 

We special ordered our first Monte while we were in Japan.  The car was a 2barrel 350 ,A/C with bucket seats/console. We drove her about 175000 miles and sold her in about 1984. She ran perfectly and never failed us ..  

Lower photo was taken at Mayport Fla summer of 1970… upper photo was taken at our horse riding stable on Beale AFB Calif.

Yes, The old Monte had a trailer hitch and was used to pull my daughters horses to local shows… The four kids and I built the horse stable in the background and have a lot of good memories there… The horse club was as much fun to the kids as my cars were to me. 

My other vehicles at that time at that time were a 1936 Chevy two door, a 1956 Crown Victoria , 1954 Mercury Monterey and a 1956 Merc Monterey...

At that time it was all about wheels/hubcaps and cars of the fifties. A good paint job was about 600 bucks.  

16700425_1356905561022021_8967291197574629965_o.thumb.jpg.4f8b6979fc9786e53b1c5bf38c2e2276.jpg31773_1334990212289_3987898_n.jpeg.ceae33d6285171ab9944e7916996101c.jpeg

Aaron, I really like the wheels..

The color of the car in the background area of the wheel would look nice too… Otherwise a darker color in the back ground would look great too. Back in the day, we used to get rattle cans of paint to match, so it was cheap and easy to make a mistake and redo. 

Ed 

Hey Aaron, My $.02 (not that it means much)  

All your cars are beautiful!   I love the rims just not on that car. The reason is, i was never a big fan of the 3 color cars. But if you have too dark gray would be my choice.  However, they would look fantastic on your Classic Copper car.  

Just my amateur eye!!

• Like 2
  • Thank You! 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

Hey Aaron, My $.02 (not that it means much)  

All your cars are beautiful!   I love the rims just not on that car. The reason is, i was never a big fan of the 3 color cars. But if you have too dark gray would be my choice.  However, they would look fantastic on your Classic Copper car.  

Just my amateur eye!!

You might have a good point regarding the three colours.

I’ve been looking at blue Chevelles with white tops that have these rims for reference. Maybe the standard grey these came in is the way to go. They don’t stand out too much that way.

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_1185.jpeg

• Like 3

The Wheel thingy

This is where it began …

Growing up in the 50's, I recall that the most sought after hubcaps were the Oldsmobile Fiesta's. They started showing up on the Oldsmobile in 1953 … My Dad had a 1951 98 Olds with standard wheel covers. I was 11 at the time and was anxious to get my first car so I could put the fiesta's on.

The most popular way at the time to get a pair was to buy them from questionable sources or go to jail for stealing them. 

As time went on my Dad bought a 1954 Olds 98 in 1955. I was mortified that it didn't have the fiesta's, so a friend of my friend sold me a pair for a few bucks and my dad let me install them on our family car.   No questions asked …. 

They lasted about three weeks on the car and were stolen at Jacksonville beach. Needless to say,, my Dad wasn't impressed and put the stock covers back on his two tone 98.

The following year about 55 or 56, I bought my 51 Ford flathead and put them on.. They looked like crap on the old Ford so I went to baby moons with a chrome circle rim … 

Realistically , the life expectancy of a pair of flippers on your car was about two months before they went to a new owner. 

Just wanted to share my memories of the wheel thingy as I see where it all began.. 

Thank you Aaron for allowing me to hijack your thread. 

It's all about making her your own ….. 

Ed C. 

Screenshot2023-09-01at7_55_04AM.thumb.png.7629121b4bdf4d5550f97f0b9a33a328.png