What did you do to your Monte today?

Hi Scott, I ride a 2002 Honda Ace 750 with Mustang Seat, Hardkrome Double D pipes and a bunch of other goodies on it. It's a reliable ride and a lot of fun....black and chrome of course:) And you? You ride a Harley correct?

Cheers,

Larry

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to put my oil pan back on and realized BOTH my motor mounts are shot. the motor's just sitting there. Went to Advance auto parts (30 miles) and didn't notice they gave me the wrong part 'till I got home. So, back I go and 3 parts houses later I get a set. So basically I did nothing to it and it took me all day.

Hi Scott, I ride a 2002 Honda Ace 750 with Mustang Seat, Hardkrome Double D pipes and a bunch of other goodies on it. It's a reliable ride and a lot of fun....black and chrome of course:) And you? You ride a Harley correct?

Cheers,

Larry

hijack

Nice bike Larry, I have seen that colour combo on those very nice. Mine is not a HD it's a Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 FI 2002 bought it brand new. Put on the fairing and trunk myself and painted to match the bike. Paint on them is not perfect but I'm ok with it for a first attempt and in less than ideal conditions at the time. I just picked up the chrome trunk rack for it so will put that on soon for this years riding. It has been mistaken for an HD before....even when they look close and see the Nomad badge and Kawasaki logo on it still say hey..nice HD which model is it? LOL I have a mustang seat and added the chrome studs to the trunk to match when I got my tank bib. Only thing left now is either another set of soft lowers or the hard ones painted to match. I don't think it will EVER be DONE..much like the Monte, it will get improvements as it goes along in it's life with me.

Here is a pic of mine think I've added some chrome to it since these were taken.

This one shows most of the new items including the Hypercharger intake and my lower fog/driving lights with the mounts I made.

RFD2011.jpg

Rear of bike before HC from 2010

DSCN0593.jpg

Picture of the trunk

DSCN0548.jpg

And my wiring job did for all the accessories

DSCN0733.jpg

Scott

Hijack over...

A very nice bike indeed Scott. Do you ever make it to Haugen's in Manchester for bike night? I go a couple times a summer. We will definately get together for a coffee sometime soon or in the Spring at the latest.

Cheers,

Larry

close guess... it is a marauder, but not an m95 1600. its an M50 (800cc). And yes it has those wonderful inverted forks a la' sport bikes. I cranked the adjustable suspension up to 7 and it rides real good ;-)

Morton Violator straight pipes, K&N Tornado Intake, power commander chip, lopro seat.... and more

Scott, looks nice, what do you tow?

-Mark

Thank you.

Yup I normally go at least 1 or 2 times a season and for diner love there chicken sandwiches.

This year will likely try to do a Wed night for the cruise in the Monte and maybe a Thursday bike nite.

Normally if I go riding (when I can) with the SCRC locally it's on Wed nights, but I think I'll do a few cruise nights this year instead and do a Sat ride...and yes for sure need to get together for coffee. What days are you normally off work? I am off weekends always...I am spoiled grin

Scott

close guess... it is a marauder, but not an m95 1600. its an M50 (800cc). And yes it has those wonderful inverted forks a la' sport bikes. I cranked the adjustable suspension up to 7 and it rides real good ;-)

Morton Violator straight pipes, K&N Tornado Intake, power commander chip, lopro seat.... and more

Scott, looks nice, what do you tow?

-Mark

Well I took a shot it was the bigger of the 2 lol and hard to see when your sitting on it wink

Nice bike, I would bet it's a bit loud with those pipes too. And the Tornado intake looks cool. LePera seat? nice, matches the bike well and those forks are nice. As for my trailer hitch, I put it (Denray) on and have a bike trailer that came from out west (Alberta) here is a pic of what they look like.

Motorcycletrailer.jpg

Got my motor mounts installed yesterday along with painting my oil pan and installing it and the timing cover. I should have pulled the motor to do this project. Oh well, live and learn. Today I got the heads on, bolted up the exhaust, put the balancer on and the intake. Starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. It's gonna rain tommorrow. Hopefully not too hard - I work in a carport. here's some progress pics. 002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

I'd like to get it started tomorrow. We'll have to see how hard and for how long it rains.

that trailer is really cool! would love to be able to store that much... the seat is a saddleman profiler FYI.

Seat I bet is comfortable even if it doesn't look to some to be, contour is very nice with the bike.

Thank for the comments, yes I like it. I have (this isn't my trailer but the exact same design) polished the front and most of the sides of mine to shine more like chrome. I need to redo them again this spring and bring them back to mirror finish. Then I can land planes with it..LOL...

If I decide to keep it may add a small trailer hitch to the Monte if I go to a few car shows for camping weekends. It will add BLING to the display grin

And if I buy some PARTS for Monte I'd have room to transport them home. This way don't have to weight the trunk down with all the crap and then cruise around with it all weekend should I do that...but it needs a set of chrome rims don't you think wink

Scott

Great pictures and nice job. Gonna look real good when it's all back together and up and running. Keep us posted on the progress.

ditto

Looking good! Sure, it probably would have been easier to pull the motor, but there's nothing wrong with doing it while in the car (and unless you already have one, you saved on the rental costs for an engine hoist). smile

Your right but I doubt they make trailer tires in 12" that are the same design as the bike. I'd settle for a nice set of chrome rims..maybe I can find some cheap 13" of the same bolt pattern? One thing I'd like to do is put in a torsion bar suspension instead of the leaf springs it has now...can do it but a bit of modification required to the frame AND $ for the axles is what's keeping me from changing it.

ditto

Looking good! Sure, it probably would have been easier to pull the motor, but there's nothing wrong with doing it while in the car (and unless you already have one, you saved on the rental costs for an engine hoist). smile

I agree the rental cost is $ savings and to have one yourself need lots of room to store one. I'd likely (and someday will) do it your way I think unless a total rebuild is required.

Will be nice to see (and maybe hear) it completed.

Scott

After a rainy start this morning, I was ready to get back on my project. I got the distributor, plugs and wires on. I also rattle-canned my valve covers and put 'em on. 003-2.jpg

The carb's just sittin' on there. I tried to use the manifold vacuum adapter off my car but it hits the carb. Gotta get some tees and vacuum line tomorrow, and a plug. I find it easy to open those hard plastic pakages with tin snips.

005-1.jpg

Might look on the clear side, though, next time to see what I'm cutting through. Luckily for me I got duplicate gaskets with my carb. I needed the rest of the goodies in that package.

002-2.jpg

And they were all tin snip proof. At any rate that seemed like a good place to not work on the Monte anymmore today.

Looks great, just FYI, I hope you have better luck with the Chrome Thermostat housing than I did, I went back to original after several attemps to get it to stop leaking.

What I have heard a few back in the day do is this. Take the gasket or even make one from a fiber box, like a 12 pack of beer comes in and make your own gasket. Then use the gasket shallac and coat both sides or the gasket maker and coat evenly both sides of the gasket or the one you make. Then let it cure. It will be a rubbery surface but still thin. Then using a very small bit of grease to hold it in place put it on the car and then the housing next. Then tighten down to torque specs. Run the car up to operating temperature and check for leaks. Then let it cool till COLD and start up to operating temps again. After it cools again retorque the bolts and should have no more leaks. That is what I've had a few do that had the chrome housing. I plan on doing that to mine when I install my chrome housing. Also some put the gasket on top and some underneath the thermostat. I have always put the gasket on top after the thermostat was seated and haven't had an issue doing it that way in my other cars.

Just an fyi if you want to try it or anyone else.

Scott

Here's a pic of my Honda ACE and my beautiful wife on our wedding day 2 August's ago. We are off to the Dominican tomorrow for some R and R and lot's of sunshine.

Cheers everyone. smile

DemmingsWed_135.jpg

What did I do to my Monte today? Nothing...absolutely nothing. I drove by my Buddies place where it is stored and noticed that his German Shepherd is standing on guard protecting it and a few other cars, trucks and boats that are also stored there. One good guard dog! smile

Here's a pic of my Honda ACE and my beautiful wife on our wedding day 2 August's ago. We are off to the Dominican tomorrow for some R and R and lot's of sunshine.

Cheers everyone. smile

DemmingsWed_135.jpg

What did I do to my Monte today? Nothing...absolutely nothing. I drove by my Buddies place where it is stored and noticed that his German Shepherd is standing on guard protecting it and a few other cars, trucks and boats that are also stored there. One good guard dog! smile

Great picture of you and your lovely bride.

Enjoy your trip LSOB!!! bring back some warm temps and sunshine when your on the way back. HEY it is the LEAST you can do..LOL..

Now there is an understanding wife. Not only does she let you keep it, but lets you get a picture on it on you're wedding day!!

Can't ask for much better than that wink

Glad the doggie is doing his duty protecting your Monte till the spring arrives too. German Shepherds make the best watch dogs. If he is a KING Shepherd I wouldn't mess with him!! (same as Police use)

Scott